Page: 1

carrie the musical on its way back

west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
carrie the musical on its way back#0
Posted: 4/21/06 at 12:03am
OH MY GOD i recieved a submission list from my agent today and what was on it
looking for strong singers and dancers for a new wworkshop production of CARRIE THE MUSICAL
i cant belive it .For thoose of you who dont know carrie was a 8million dollar flop on broadway in 1988 and starred the lovely linzi hately(then 17)and betty buckley as well as sally ann tripplet gene anthony ray and darlene love.The show gathered a huge cult following ever since(coz a lot of the show was bloody good just badly staged)and has been crying out for a return ever since and now it looks like it just might have one.Carrie of course is based on the stephen king horror novel and film but makes for a hugely exciting musical(i have a pirate copy from stratford where it originally opened in 88 before moving to new york on dvd )
We often have many submisions for workshops that never happen lets hope this issnt one of them coz this is one show that needs to come back
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: carrie the musical on its way back#1
Posted: 4/23/06 at 6:21pm
seriously it has one of my favouirte songs ever on it....

and im sorry but i think the destruction is amazing..the recording and youtube clip!

the duets with the mother, and 'do me a favour' are all amazing songs too!

becky buckely and linzi hately...they are amazing!

its a shame the production was such a mess! contemporary dancing everhwre...middleaged cheerleaders...and a mess of direction...

such a shame

because the music is gorgeous...absoluetly raving excited about this workshop!

xxxx
madam rose
Swing
Swing
re: carrie the musical on its way back#2
Posted: 4/23/06 at 7:00pm
.............ok your talking about the musioc on the you tube destruction yeah? You surely cant be meaning the lasers and the staging are amzing?

also there are in togas...am i correct?

xx
LondonTheatreUK Profile PhotoLondonTheatreUK Profile Photo
LondonTheatreUK
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: carrie the musical on its way back#3
Posted: 4/23/06 at 8:27pm
Hehe Jwaa - the rumour turned out to be true then! Will be interesting to see how this develops...
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: carrie the musical on its way back#4
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:04pm
yes its almost def that carrie is coming back in the UK not Broadway.The workshop is been tapped for sept 2006 followed by an early 2007 production or tour
What ive heard is 7 of the original songs have gone which are
IN
DREAM ON
WOTTA NIGHT
IT HURTS TO BE STRONG
OUT FOR BLOOD
OPEN YOUR HEART
HEAVEN

and have all been replaced with new songs
The staging will be set more realistic other than the abstract look they went for in the 88 production

and the destruction scene will involve multiple special effects inc stage fire explosions and falling walls

the rsc have nothing to do with this new production and none of the original cast will return

will keep you informed
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: carrie the musical on its way back#5
Posted: 4/28/06 at 9:41am
They removed "Open Yourt Heart"?????

Why? Its Betty's killer opening and sets her whole character up for the later scenes. Such a sweet melody too even if the lyrics are a bit christian whackjob.
rohingit Profile Photorohingit Profile Photo
rohingit
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: carrie the musical on its way back#6
Posted: 4/29/06 at 3:48pm
i think i must be missing somthing here...from watching those clips...it looks so bad! Y would they want to bring anything like this to the west end? if its the best part of 20 years since it was on...and then the film was much more popular...what makes them think it will work now?im just interested in how diff they will make it to apeal to a new audiance.
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: carrie the musical on its way back#7
Posted: 4/29/06 at 5:13pm
Well, most of the clips that are in youtube are the numbers that, according to West End Artist's list posted here, are going to be replaced by a new material.

Many people managed to see CARRIE in 1988 say that what was good in the show was REALLY GOOD, like all of the mother-daughter scenes. But what wasn't good was worse than BAD. Basically when the not-so-good scenes are mentioned, the numbers "Out of Blood", "In" and "Wotta Night" are named. And Debbie Allen's choreography was said to be one of the worst things in the show.

The score wasn't bad at all. It includes some very strong numbers. "And Eve Was Weak"... "Unsuspecting Hearts"...
Updated On: 4/29/06 at 05:13 PM
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: carrie the musical on its way back#8
Posted: 5/1/06 at 12:52pm
as a lot of the critics have now said carrie was a good show lost in a bad show.As mentioned as above the mother daughter scenes were awesome amazingly written and performed with gusto by linzi hately and betty buckley(not the god awfull barbara cook as miss white whos on the dvd and youtube clips)Carrie was 2 shows the amazing story of carrie and her mother with amazing songs(eve was weak,open your heart,eveining prayers and the breathtaking i remember how thoose boys can dance)and the awfull teen section of the show which diddnt gel well at all and provided some awfull songs such as wotta night and out for blood(though do me a favour ,heaven reprise and dont waste the moon were good i also liked in
The choreography were the least of carries problems(some of it very good and captured the growing sexuality of the teenagers)but it was the awfull staging of the show what killed it dead.It was very abstract white sets very minimal and the only way carries powers can work well is when they set against a real american backdrop and school with real sets representing carries world.
If they get it right this time carrie will be amazing and just what the west end needs to liven up the current state of it
The performances in carrie were also fantastic linzi and betty deserved awards(people say bettys performance of margaret is one of broadway great lost performances)sally ann triplett was also very good as sue and charlotte di amboise almost stole the show from everyone as chris even the late fame star gene anthony ray played his part of billy well as did darlene love as miss gardner and mr gyngell as tommy ross
Carrie was never dull for a single second (even the critics said that)it had an energy like i have never seen in theatre in all my years of working in it
the show recived standing ovations every night the audiences loved it
but sadly the new york critics had the knives out before it opened and with they exception of the post and monitor most new york critics ripped it to shreds(even though the idiot at the new york times years later admitted to really enjoying it even though his review killed)
carrie brought together all the forces that makes live theatre so exciting and if it had of worked it would b a cult hit but hey we are still talking bout it today and hopefully will get the chance to do it right this time
i for one cant wait (hope i get in the cast yeah)

more updates
The song IN has been replaced by a song called aint it a bitch(which was actually the original song back in the 86 workshop but was replaced by IN eventually)
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: carrie the musical on its way back#9
Posted: 5/1/06 at 11:06pm
"The song IN has been replaced by a song called aint it a bitch(which was actually the original song back in the 86 workshop but was replaced by IN eventually)"

That's a pity. IN is truly a must-be-seen-to-be-believed song, and Ms. Darlene Love nailed Miss Gardner in it so well...
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: carrie the musical on its way back#10
Posted: 5/8/06 at 3:55pm
more carrie news linzi hately was approached to play margaret white in the show but dont know what she said

for thoose who dont know she played carrie in the original
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: carrie the musical on its way back#11
Posted: 5/8/06 at 6:20pm
Wouldn't she be a bit too young for the role? If she was 18 when the show opened on Broadway in 1988, then she'd be only about 36 now. For some reason I can't imagine an actress that young (no matter how good an actress) play that role.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: carrie the musical on its way back#12
Posted: 5/12/06 at 9:10pm
If at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again.
west end artist
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: carrie the musical on its way back#13
Posted: 5/15/06 at 1:01pm
HEY GUYS MORE INFO ON CARRIES REVIVAL

THE WORKSHOP WILL TAKE PLACE IN LONDON IN AUGUST WITH A PLANNED OPENING OUT OF LONDON IN JANUARY

I HAVE MANAGED TO GET HOLD OF THE NEW ACT 1 SCRIPT (THOUGH IT WILL PROB KEEP CHANGING )BUT WOW

THE SCRIPT IS BLOODY GOOD WITH SOME AMAZING WRITING GOING ON THERE.THE FOCUS IS DEF MORE ON CARRIE AND HER MUM BUT THERE IS STILL A LOT FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS BUT THEY SEEM TO HAVE FOUND A GREAT BALANCE THE ACT I SONG LINE UP IS AS FOLLOWS

OVERTURE
AINT IT A BITCH(ENSEMBLE CHRIS SUE AND NORMA)
DEAR LORD(CARRIE)
UN NAMED SHOWER SCENE SONG(ENSEMBLECHRIS SUE AND NORMA AND CARRIE)
CARRIE
THE LIGHT THE GUIDES ME (MARGARET)
EVE WAS WEAK(MARGARET AND CARRIE)
DONT WASTE THE MOON (ENSEMBLE CHRIS BILLY SUE AND TOMMY)
EVEINING PRAYERS
UN NAMED ENGLISH CLASS SONG(TOMMY )
UNSUSPECTING HEARTS(MISS GARDNER AND CARRIE)
DO ME A FAVOUR(CHRIS BILLY SUE TOMMY AND ENSEMBLE)
REVENGE SO SWEET(CHRIS BILLY AND NORMA)
IVE BEEN INVITED TO THE PROM(CARRIE)
I REMEMBER HOW THOOSE BOYS COULD DANCE(MARGARET AND CARRIE)

COOL NEW SCENES INCLUDE SCENES IN THE HEADMASTERS OFFICE WHEN CARRIE MAKES THE TABLE MOVE,2 EXTRA SCENES AT HOME,ONE IN THE HIGH SCHOOL CORRIDOOR ,ENGLISH CLASS WITH TOMMYS POEM

ALL VERY WELL WRITTEN

AT THIS TIME THE SHOW IS DEF ON THE RIGHT TRACK

CARRIES POWERS ARE PUT TO GOOD USE IN ACT 1 AS WELL AND SHE LOOKS UP THE POWERS IN THE SCHOOL LIBARY SO THE AUDIENCE KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON THIS TIME

AND ACT 1 ENDS WITH CARRIE PINNING HER MUM TO THE WALL WITH THE FURNITURE IN THE ROOM AND MAKING ALL THE WINDOWS BANG CLOSE BEFORE HER HANDS SET A FLAME

I HAVE GOT MY AGENT TO PUT ME UP FOR THIS (DONT TELL FOOTLLOSE HAHA)

I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON WHAT LOOKS TO BE THE MOST EXCITING REVIVAL IN MANY YEARS