Page: 1

Broadway Grosses Question....

Demitri2 Profile PhotoDemitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Grosses Question....#0
Posted: 10/24/05 at 7:53pm
After looking at "Jersey Boys" box office grosses for this past week I couldn't help wondering. Has a show in previews with a poor seating attendance (45-65 % capacity) ever been able to come out a hit? Just seeing such low numbers seems like a dark cloud over the production. I do believe I've seen shows in previews with an attendance capacity of 70-85 % going on to be successful but with figures as low as "Jersey Boys"....the trend seems to hold little hope for the show. A six month run maybe but a financial hit?....I fear not. Did the show play out of town first? In fact other than "Wicked" being less than stellar in its out of town reviews, it seems that shows like "Hairspray", "Lion King" and "Spamalot" all had a great buzz going for themselves before hitting NY. Can a show that doesn't give itself the benefit of a positive out of town try out or an off-Broadway pre-run make it these days? I guess very good reviews and strong word of mouth are a must but with ticket prices so high these days people seem to be a bit more choosey in picking their shows.
SallyBrown Profile PhotoSallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway Grosses Question....#1
Posted: 10/26/05 at 12:10pm
Wait are we talking West End or Broadway?
"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway Grosses Question....#2
Posted: 4/22/08 at 5:07pm
I saw this comment in achieve, has anyone got a opinion as well?
yankees1253 Profile Photoyankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway Grosses Question....#3
Posted: 4/22/08 at 11:00pm
right now schools are in session and colleges will be ending in about two-three weeks here so we hope to see a rise in grosses and seating capacity. so it is sorta like an off time for broadway. wicked is always at 100% every week in tne past months it only happended once or twice its was at 100. it brings in one million each week. so we see it right now as an easy way to get student rush and discounts. it will go up in those next three weeks and memorial weekend will take in lots.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway Grosses Question....#4
Posted: 4/23/08 at 10:59am
I feel that reviews don't play as big a part as they once did. I think that this like message boards and word of mouth play a big part.

If reviews were the make and break of a show then something like Wicked wouldn't be open.

Keep in mind that Wicked was on TKTS during previews as were a lot of shows that turned out to be hits.

I think its hard to tell what will be a hit and what won't. It is all a shot in the dark most of the time. As I said there are some shows that have been doing great ine previews that do continue to do great when the show opens.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway Grosses Question....#5
Posted: 4/23/08 at 11:12am
This is for the Broadway board more than here, the West End is notouriously secretive about its cash machine!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway Grosses Question....#6
Posted: 4/23/08 at 5:31pm
Phantom - what are you doing down there in those bl**dy archives?

Don't get left alone in there with Wickedboy2 - we won't be able to hear you scream.