JCSuperstar

beans babe
Swing
Swing
JCSuperstar#0
Posted: 10/19/04 at 3:54pm
saw the show in nottingham last night one word sums it up AWFUL the lighting was poor, chorus seemed like robots, and as for glenn carter . .. . . . it is about time someone else was given the lead the whole show looks stale
Sazzle Profile PhotoSazzle Profile Photo
Sazzle
Understudy
Understudy
re: JCSuperstar#1
Posted: 10/27/04 at 5:17pm
I guess thats down to personal taste!! I enjoyed the show, I thought that some of it could have been abit more colourful and animated- the staging of 'Superstar' was abit bland, but all in all I enjoyed it!

I was suprised by how good James Fox's performance was- I didnt quite know what to expect but he really proved that he belonged in that show, I loved Glenn's performance too (then again I'm bias there!!) and thought gethsemane was awsome, and I really liked Alistair Lee (Annas)- he has such a good voice!! ....oh and I thought the crown of thorns on stage was really clever and effective!

I know its not to everyones taste but I really enjoyed it!

x
*One Day More, Another Day, Another Destiny!*
sara2
Swing
Swing
re: JCSuperstar#2
Posted: 10/28/04 at 4:05am
it's about time steve balsamo had the lead again, much better than glenn
Suzikane Profile PhotoSuzikane Profile Photo
Suzikane
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: JCSuperstar#3
Posted: 11/2/04 at 5:56pm
Like Sazzle..I truly enjoyed the show..except for the high notes..but that's just not my cup of tea....!! But that doesn't mean that the whole show is rubbish cause it's not!!

I'm going to the show again....and I come all the way from Holland to see it!! I don't think Glenn is good..but he ain't that bad...but I would love to see Craig Price as Jesus...!

Suzette
bitch
Swing
Swing
re: JCSuperstar#4
Posted: 11/3/04 at 3:56am
how sad travelling from another country to see a z list wannabee
A19Ben Profile PhotoA19Ben Profile Photo
A19Ben
Understudy
Understudy
re: JCSuperstar#5
Posted: 11/5/04 at 5:46am
does anyone know what steve balsamo is doing now......now this guy can sing....what a voice!
Sazzle Profile PhotoSazzle Profile Photo
Sazzle
Understudy
Understudy
re: JCSuperstar#6
Posted: 11/5/04 at 9:47am
I really want to see him in a show!! I've heard some good reports!!
*One Day More, Another Day, Another Destiny!*
Truly Profile PhotoTruly Profile Photo
Truly
Swing
Swing
re: JCSuperstar#7
Posted: 11/5/04 at 11:03am
Hello there, I been away from the board for a bit - got abit board (badumtisch!) with the needless slating of actors, constructive criticism is fine.... but the slating of actors abilities, and needless ranting about private life is as Sazzle says " YAWWWWNNNNNN"!

Any whooz, ive seen JCS, and am due to see it again next week, I lovd the show, ok so bits of it didnt exactly " do it " for me, i think they could have made more of the relationahip between JC and Mary - she seems to just hover around then sing a bit instead of having real contact with him. The sets ok, i love the crown of thorns. I personally love the lighting, the way the lights pans out to the audience is really effective!
I think Glenn is great, I think the people who say hes cr*p may have lead a sheltered life and are comparing him to past actors who have played JC, which is just a load of you know what.
Each actor has to portray the character how they see it, if you hear Glenn talk about his view of the character and the way he wants it to be viewed, he makes very valid points and you will in fact see that he is exremely clever in his portrayal.
Im not doubting that there are other amazing actors out there who could be just as good (or near enough) as JC, but u cannot deny that glenn has an extremely powerful voice, and a real talent.
Love the rest of the cast and Herod floors me everytime!

Truly x
Truly Profile PhotoTruly Profile Photo
Truly
Swing
Swing
re: JCSuperstar#8
Posted: 11/5/04 at 11:03am
Hello there, I been away from the board for a bit - got abit board (badumtisch!) with the needless slating of actors, constructive criticism is fine.... but the slating of actors abilities, and needless ranting about private life is as Sazzle says " YAWWWWNNNNNN"!

Any whooz, ive seen JCS, and am due to see it again next week, I lovd the show, ok so bits of it didnt exactly " do it " for me, i think they could have made more of the relationahip between JC and Mary - she seems to just hover around then sing a bit instead of having real contact with him. The sets ok, i love the crown of thorns. I personally love the lighting, the way the lights pans out to the audience is really effective!
I think Glenn is great, I think the people who say hes cr*p may have lead a sheltered life and are comparing him to past actors who have played JC, which is just a load of you know what.
Each actor has to portray the character how they see it, if you hear Glenn talk about his view of the character and the way he wants it to be viewed, he makes very valid points and you will in fact see that he is exremely clever in his portrayal.
Im not doubting that there are other amazing actors out there who could be just as good (or near enough) as JC, but u cannot deny that glenn has an extremely powerful voice, and a real talent.
Love the rest of the cast and Herod floors me everytime!

Truly x
InTheMoney Profile PhotoInTheMoney Profile Photo
InTheMoney
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: JCSuperstar#9
Posted: 11/6/04 at 12:20pm
"i think they could have made more of the relationahip between JC and Mary"

What relationship? There is NO relationship! Yeah, he cares for her, but there is nothing more than that! Any HINT of romance is on her side alone.

One of my major gripes with the dvd is that the director makes far too much of a "what might have been" between Jesus & Mary. It's not in the book (Bible or lib!) and the whole point of her big number is that he is COMPLETELY unaware of how she feels about him - the chemistry in the dvd is enough to blow up a science lab!
bitch
Swing
Swing
re: JCSuperstar#10
Posted: 11/6/04 at 1:39pm
totally agree with you the dvd went totally off the plot i think they should rest this show till they get a better cast and director
melody2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: JCSuperstar#11
Posted: 11/6/04 at 2:41pm
This tour is the first time I've seen the show and I was impressed but of course have nothing to compare it to. I think Mary's relationship is just about right with JC. There is a lot of literature out there purporting a relationship between JC and M but I think if it were done anymore it would go beyond the boundaries of what the majority of the people (esp. Christians) would like.
InTheMoney
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: JCSuperstar#12
Posted: 11/6/04 at 5:59pm
I wouldn't have a huge problem with it persay, (apart from the fact that such a relationship is wishful thinking - leave the romance to Abelard & Heloise, people!) but like I said, even if you aren't a Christian, insinuating any chance of a relationship between Mary Magdalene & Jesus is completely against the lyrics of the show! It's like an angry Pilate! (Actually, don't get me started on the angry Pilate!)
InTheMoney
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: JCSuperstar#13
Posted: 11/6/04 at 6:01pm
Having said that, it was a bold move on ALW's part to make Judas the protagonist & the subject of sympathy. A reasonable point of view (probably the correct one if you're Catholic & believe in predestination, but then probably not very popular at all! Lol), but not the conventional one.
melody2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: JCSuperstar#14
Posted: 11/7/04 at 5:23am
It is a great show - and yes the large role of Judas is v. bold and done v. well. I wish I had seen the Lyceum revival production. I remember all the press that was around London for it but I wasn't into shows as much then. Wasn't the man who played Judas then Tanita Tikaram's brother and who has passed away since? And what is Steve Balsamo doing now? (Just curious.. not desp. so!) I've seen Jo Ampil many times since (in Les Mis). I prefer her as Fantine. Of the Marys I've heard (various recordings) so far I think I like Emma Dears (current tour) best.
Updated On: 11/7/04 at 05:23 AM
bitch
Swing
Swing
re: JCSuperstar#15
Posted: 11/7/04 at 5:32am
the lyceum version was a lot better than the tour,ramon was amazing and he is still very much alive
melody2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: JCSuperstar#16
Posted: 11/7/04 at 1:18pm
... thanks for the correct info on Ramon. The Lyceum is a gorgeous theatre.
glenn carter YAWN
Swing
Swing
re: JCSuperstar#17
Posted: 11/7/04 at 3:24pm
the set at the lyceum was the best ever, ramon has been doing a series in oz
melody2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Ramon Tikaram#18
Posted: 11/9/04 at 2:32pm
Just noticed that Ramon has been cast as the Genie in Aladdin at the Old Vic (with Ian McKellan and Sam Kelly). Should be a great panto... if you can afford 35 pounds... (rather not go if I had to sit in the restricted view cheaper seats).
glenn carter YAWN
Swing
Swing
Ramon Tikaram#19
Posted: 11/9/04 at 4:04pm
OMG ! ! ! ! well that's my birthday sorted out Ian Mc and Ramon YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
melody2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Ramon Tikaram#20
Posted: 11/9/04 at 4:19pm
Oh lucky you! And a nice birthday treat. I take it you already have tickets? When I called the BO today they had better availability towards the end of the run (January) and odd single seats around the holidays. I'd love to see it...saw Sam Kelly in A Funny Thing.. recently. He was SO funny in that show. What a stellar cast.
Updated On: 11/9/04 at 04:19 PM
Jwaa
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Ramon Tikaram#21
Posted: 12/16/04 at 9:05pm
I saw this on tour at Woking,

dreadful everything was just wrong and omg Pontious Pilate was pathetic! Glenn Carter was just not impressive as the role because everyone knows he can do it, and its just not a big deal, choreography,stage direction,set...

OMG when Judas killed himself with taht tiny little bit of rope i was thinking "oh no please dear god dont do it with taht tiny bit of rope...no...o **** he did" i didnt even clap for a majority.

Just wrong!
ruby frumblefoot
Swing
Swing
Ramon Tikaram#22
Posted: 1/14/05 at 2:13pm
at last someone else who thought glenn was crap
Type_A_Tiff Profile PhotoType_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ramon Tikaram#23
Posted: 1/14/05 at 6:15pm
I've only seen the North American tour revival. Just curious, are the sets the same as the one on tour? (more modernized, two big pillars and a bridge in the middle, a stock market ticker, etc?) Also, is this a tour or a permanent production?
"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell
ruby frumblefoot
Swing
Swing
Ramon Tikaram#24
Posted: 1/16/05 at 6:29am
the set is the same, its only touring the uk and thankfully glenn "i love me and could my ego be any bigger" carter is leaving the show after edinburgh

Page: 1