Mark in New York

Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#1
Posted: 3/29/11 at 5:06pm
Well I'm here! Arrived at 11am after a very calm flight!

First show tonight we are seeing Wonderland (tried for How to Succeed but all rush gone). We got student rush for Wonderland in the Orchestra row H so rather happy for $32!!

Went to see if anything for Book of Mormon available this week. Nothing. This was half 2 and there was nobody in the Sro line yet, so on Thursday I'm giving up my afternoon to wait in line for them.

Tomorrow my mum is general rushing How to Succeed and I am student rushing Catch me if you can!!

We have decided if worst comes to worst and there is one show on our list we may have to miss, it will be Spiderman.

Have heard mixed things about Wonderland but I think it will be right up my street!

Further into the week we are going to go to Coney Island, walk the Brooklyn Bridge, go shopping, go to south street seaport and Chelsea market, go to the top of the rock!

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#2
Posted: 3/29/11 at 5:50pm
Don't forget to go to Phantasma Mark in New York
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#2
Posted: 3/29/11 at 6:51pm
If you walk the Brooklyn Bridge get the Green line (6) to Brooklyn Bridge where the train terminates, when you walk upstairs (go the drivers end), there is a road that runs next to the station called Park Row and they deal with everything entertainment, the place is massive and divided into 9 different shops, there is a shop that just deals with CD's and on the second floor they have a good section on Broadway on the second floor, they have some great bargains too.

Then when you finished at J&R walk the Brooklyn Bridge, stay on the walk and you find this terrific diner, near to the diner is a subway stop on the Blue Line called High Street, this will take you back to Times Square, then the train goes onto Central Park.

A weeks Metrocard is terrific value at $29 and will take you to Coney Island and everywhere else you want to travel in New York.

Like your style, take your mum, to do all the rushes for you.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#3
Posted: 3/29/11 at 10:55pm
Yer we got a Metrocard straight away amazing value! Thanks for tip Re Brooklyn Bridge!

We both enjoyed Wonderland and both said we'd give it 6/10. Music mostly forgettable and not the strongest performances but it was fun and camp and cheesy. Poor mum struggled to staybawake, we have been on the go 23 hours now...

And with that in mind, Goodnight!
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#4
Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:17pm
Right that settles it, am going to book now for Book of Mormon before my trip
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#5
Posted: 3/30/11 at 11:30pm
Successfully rushed How to Succeed and Catch Me today!

How to Succeed - INCREDIBLE!! Loved every minute, Dan Radcliffe is really outstanding, you completely fall in love with Finch! I was row B stalls right on the side which was great seats!! Absolutely loved it!

Wish I could say the same for Catch Me. Had such high expectations but the show came nowhere close. Songs very samey and utterly forgettable apart from one or two, nothing really going for this show which is a shame because the cast are great! Well and truly let down by this one. I can't even decide whether I liked this or Wonderland more.

Tomorrow fingers crossed for Book of Mormon!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#6
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:28am
Glad I'm not the only one who was underwhelmed by Catch Me. Surprised you thought the Womnderland score was "forgettable" though. Virtually every song blew me away - can't wait for the CD! As for the Catch Me score, I did not even find the odd "one or two" you mention to be even remotely memorable. I'm not sure I could have even stuck it through to the end were it not for Norbert anmd Aaron's stunning performances - what a waste of talent.

Speaking of talent, totally agree with your rave comments on Daniel Radcliffe - star quality in spades! And How To is the show of the season on Broadway IMO. (Though I know some people are saying it's Book Of Mormon - I couldn't summon up any enthusiasm to include that one on my list of shows to see. Maybe I misssed out - but I detest South Park and couldn't face the thought of a musical in that vein of tastless and totally unfunny humour.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#7
Posted: 3/31/11 at 5:53am
Bob, I'm a non lover of South park- just not my humor- so I sat thru 'The Book Of Mormon' probably laughing 2 or 3 times. I was so bored but couldn't leave due to company I was with. In my book you missed nothing.
However, I loved 'Catch Me If You can' - not the most perfect show no, but it ticked all the boxes for great entertainment!
Norbert has to be front runner for the Tony next year, amazing performance.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#8
Posted: 3/31/11 at 7:14am
Yeah, Norbert was AMAZING - should win Tony for Best Supporting Performance by an Actor in a Musical. If the committee decide his role is a lead role, he will lose out to Radcliffe.

Sorry but as a show CMIYC did not tick any boxes for me - and it certainly wasn't entertaining. The story did not hold my interest and the music was mindnumbingly boring. It even made me long for ALW lol!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#9
Posted: 3/31/11 at 7:24am
I semi take back my comment Re forgettable score. Afew have been buzzing around, especially Finding Wonderland. Still can't get over my disappointment in Catch Me, it's the one I thought I'd like the most.
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mark in New York#10
Posted: 3/31/11 at 2:27pm
I have to agree with some of the comments on here. CMIYC left me cold - I kept waiting for it to get interesting but it never did. I wasn't particularly enamoured of the score (could barely remember it 5 minutes after leaving the theatre) and found Aaron Tveit and (especially) Norbert Leo Butz the only entertaining things about it. I really wanted to like it going in as well.

I'm not a fan of South Park humour by any means, but I had a blast at Book of Mormon. I found it to be a very skilfully-crafted original musical with some extremely funny numbers. In contrast to Catch Me, I was still humming a couple of the tunes a few days later. All that being said it wasn't quite as rip-roaringly funny as Spamalot on first viewing and I'm not sure if it may be a bit over-hyped. I certainly don't think it deserves Tonys in every category but I fear a Producers-style sweep given the raves it received.

I too was very impressed with Daniel Radcliffe in How To Succeed. He was charming and innocent and scheming and devious in turn and just great fun to watch throughout. I addition he demonstrated very credible singing and dancing skills when required. Had great Row D rush seats after a mere 3 hours of queueing in the biting cold. The stage door was an absolute mob scene most nights (was staying just down the block), so I think he's a young man who is definitely winning friends and influencing people in his Broadway musical debut.

EDIT: Will start my own thread later with brief opinions of the other shows I saw.
Seen some shows in my time....
Updated On: 3/31/11 at 02:27 PM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#11
Posted: 3/31/11 at 10:46pm
Saw Book of Mormon tonight, absolutely loved it!!! Definitely one of the best musicals I have seen. So slick and hilarious!!! We got there at 3pm and queued for standing for 3 hours which in glad we did just to guarantee us tickets! Mum got a lottery ticket in the box with someone who only needed one so that was nice and I got a seat in the back row for act two from someone who wanted to stand.
Hope this transfers!!! People at the box office were struggling to get tickets for dates in May!!
B-maniac Profile PhotoB-maniac Profile Photo
B-maniac
Understudy
Understudy
Mark in New York#12
Posted: 4/1/11 at 12:26am
To get rush tickets for HOW TO SUCCEED, what time should I be at box office tomorrow?
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#13
Posted: 4/1/11 at 3:46am
I dont like South Park, and didnt care for Spamalot much but did love Avenue Q, do you think it would be worth giving Book of Morman a go?
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#14
Posted: 4/1/11 at 7:23am
Definitely Princeton. I am not a south park viewer and prefer avenue w to Spamalot. Book of Mormon Is really quite special. And idbsay 8-8:30 for how to succeed.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#15
Posted: 4/1/11 at 10:43am
Got Rush tickets for Spiderman tonight!!!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#16
Posted: 4/1/11 at 12:50pm
Definitely again, I am not a fan of 'South Park', either but found this show hilarious, Princeton you love it. I am sure the producers are planning a US tour and West End transfer as I type.

Mark, good luck with 'Spiderman', take plenty of water and some 'mogadon', you sure need it.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#17
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:01am
I liked it!!! Act one was great! Act two wasn't as good it went off on too much of a tangent but I enjoyed it for what it was. The flying and sets were outstanding! We have fab seats in row U!

Tomorrow we are rushing Anything Goes and Memphis!!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#18
Posted: 4/2/11 at 7:29am
I agree, Mark - Act 1 of Spiderman is far stronger than Act 2. Hopefully the rewrite will address that problem and make it more focussed. But even in the state it is in now, it's way better than Catch Me If You Can!!!
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#19
Posted: 4/2/11 at 11:32am
Got Memphis and Anything Goes for today!!! They had only 8 rush for the anything goes rush glad I parked my mum there early!!

200 dollars for 7 shows up to now!!! Hopefully we will win the lotto for Bengal Tiger and American idiot tomorrow!!
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#20
Posted: 4/2/11 at 11:22pm
Fabulous day today!!! Anything Goes and Memphis!! Really had a blast!! Going to do lottery for Bengal tiger and American idiot tomorrow. Can't believe it went by so quick Mark in New York.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#21
Posted: 4/3/11 at 12:53pm
I loved Catch Me, it was so much fun, so much energy and Aaron Tveit, what a leading man! I did a rush for How To Succeed, reached there by 8am and only 2 people in front of me, but it was a rainy day, so, it was a lucky day for me Mark in New York I haev to agree it is a spectacular show and daniel radcliffe shines! but I still think Aaron Tveit is better. As for Spiderman, when did you go to queue for rush Mark? I watched it last Weds, didn't like it but I really liked britannia-high actor Matthew James Thomas as Peter Parker, I thought he sounded wayyy better than Reev Carney, would like to watch him again, but only if the tickets are cheap.
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#22
Posted: 4/5/11 at 1:49pm
Well had a fabulous time!!!

I think the Tony race for Best Actor could go ANYWHERE!! I loved Dan and Aaron, and then there is Tony Sheldon in Priscilla and you just fall in love with Andrew Rannells from the first "Hello" in Book of Mormon. And yes I agree Matthew James Thomas was excellent as Spidey.

In addition to the musicals I also saw A Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo but I really can't compare it to everything else since it was so different!! I really enjoyed it and it was fabulous to see one of my all time favourite actors (Robin Williams) live on stage (and to meet him afterwards too, what a lovely person, he was signing and taking photos with everyone). The play itself is very good, it was a very fast play and really kept your attention. Also my first play on Broadway!!

MUSICALS RANKINGS
#1 Book of Mormon - What can I say!! It is sheer perfection. My kind of show! I was totally captivated. This is gonna sweep the Tonys and absolutely must transfer (please Sonia!!!). I completely fell in love with Andrew Rannells from the moment he walked on stage.
#2 How to Succeed - Daniel Radcliffe is real star! I loved his performance, he is just right for the part, so cheeky! Loved the show. Pure traditional BROADWAY!!!
#3 Memphis - My second time seeing this and loved it just as much! Was PACKED! Motego Glover is a stunning performer! Was nice to see Brian on as Huey and see a different interpretation, his performance was as good as Chads! Loved his "Memphis Lives in Me"
#4 Anything Goes - I loved this! I love Sutton Foster as it is and it was great to see her dancing a lot in this show. The dance numbers were wonderful! A very strong supporting cast, particularly Colin Donnell, He has a good chance at the Tony!
TIED#4 American Idiot - Yes I have two number 4's. I can't compare this and Anything Goes they are so different. I enjoyed seeing this again so much, had amazing seats this time (second row!!). The music is great, a shame it is closing Mark in New York
#6 Spiderman - At the end of act one, I thought, whats everyone complaining about... This is GREAT!!! Then act two happened and it wasn't as slick. The flying is spectacular. The score is what I expected but the overall design was stunning. Reminded me a LOT of Lord of the Rings, although I think I liked this more.
#7 Wonderland - Fun fluff. Music was nice enough, the show was nice enough but none of the performers stood out.
#8 Catch Me If You Can - I feel so let down! This is one I was most excited to see and it wasn't good. The music was bland and I just didn't enjoy the show.

Excellent. Total cost for 9 shows - $299!!!!!! Most we paid was $69 for Bengal Tiger after we were some of the only people to lose the lottery! Turns out the seats were unsold premium tickets which can sell for $250!!!
Other tickets:
How to Succeed ($30 Rush, second row!), Wonderland ($32 student rush), Catch me if you can ($27 Student Rush), Book of Mormon ($27 standing), Spiderman ($30 rush), Anything Goes ($30 rush box seats with fab view!), Memphis ($26.50 front row :), American Idiot ($27 Lotto).

Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#23
Posted: 4/5/11 at 1:52pm
Also, my mums favourites are the same as mine, in the exact order, although I think she preferred Anything Goes to American Idiot! She had a wonderful time, she keeps randomly singing bits from Book of Mormon which I think is hilarious!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mark in New York#24
Posted: 4/5/11 at 2:29pm
Glad you had a good time.

Both 'Book of Morman' and 'How to Succeed' were my picks too and the shows I would love to come over to the West End, although it would be tough to find someone to replace Daniel Radcliffe.