Page: 1

What now for LND?

Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#1
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:14pm
7 nominations and not one win!

A major TV campaign to promote it and tickets sales are on the decline (or so I understand).

This has been a troubled production certainly not on the scale of 'Spiderman' but clearly a number of people saw the original version and have not seen it again since the rewrites and reworkings, possibly the Olivier committee amongst them!

I fear for the future of this show!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#2
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:29pm
Perhaps close the show now, even though I enjoyed it, theatre public have moved on from ALW.
MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#2
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:33pm
I don't think that this show is anywhere near an decline, the house was full and appreciative on a matinee when I saw it a couple months ago, though I would suggest a high profile cast change might be wise and I really think that this show would work better on broadway.
Updated On: 3/13/11 at 06:33 PM
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#3
Posted: 3/13/11 at 6:34pm
I will fight on to the bitter end for/with this great show. What's next? Open a fabulous new Australian production, move it to Broadway and sweep the Tony Awards.
Sally Profile PhotoSally Profile Photo
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#4
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:34pm
What's next? Open the show in Australia, get mixed reviews, make fixes, keep plugging along; and if the show doesn't lose much money, try it on Broadway. Also, send it to Shanghai. They seem to love anything by Lloyd Webber.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#5
Posted: 3/13/11 at 9:53pm
I wonder just how much new work will be done on the new version here in Melbourne (outside of new designs, direction and choreography). The director Simon Phillips is now in NY working on PRISCILLA which opens next weekend. Assuming he stays in New York for the first week after opening before coming home there will be just 5 weeks before previews. I guess the score/book will remain the same it will just have a different look.
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#6
Posted: 3/14/11 at 4:01am
Just my impression, but I don't think that there has EVER been any intention to make any substantial changes in the story/book. They have made a few changes in lyrics and a few in characterization to make the characters a little more believable and tightened up and made some changes in some scenes, but the score (along with the performances of the original two stars) has been considered the show's strong point.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#7
Posted: 3/14/11 at 9:48am
I don't think this will affect the show at all. The Olivier's have never affected a show before really...
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#8
Posted: 3/14/11 at 11:22am
Even if it doesn't affect the show at all, that's not exactly a good thing. The show is, I understand, still losing money each week or only just breaking even (although weekend performances are doing well), so it's a long long road to recoupment from here.

Ramin gave a pretty stonking performance of Till I Hear You Sing, but given how few people probably watched or listened to the Oliviers I don't know whether that will drive up business at all.
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#9
Posted: 3/14/11 at 12:34pm
You would be pleasantly surprised by the numbers in which people tuned in to the oliviers, it was the third highest trending thing on twitter.

Also, where did you hear that they were only just breaking even every week.
chrissydee Profile Photochrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
What now for LND?#10
Posted: 3/14/11 at 1:32pm
Having a full house doesn't mean that it's not on a decline. A full house on 15-20 tickets from Leicester Square and papering/comps won't keep a show running for long (not saying that's what's going on here- just wanted to point out you can't always tell on how full the auditorium!)
Sally
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#11
Posted: 3/14/11 at 1:40pm
I have no idea whether or not the Olivier Awards have affected a show's fate. I am confident, however, that if Love Never Dies had won even one award, that blurb would have been all over its advertising. Someone must think such awards are worth something. They are much used in a show's advertising and a performer's write-ups.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#12
Posted: 3/14/11 at 5:50pm
Recent advertising has played upon the 7 Olivier nominations. So it seems somewhat hollow to be using that, now, as a marketing tool.

As was discussed last night on the televising of the awards, The Oliviers are somewhat unique in offering prizes to perfromances and shows that can no longer be seen. Matt Wolfe of the International Herald Tribune said that this wasn't the case on Broadway. I have no reason to doubt him. Which suggests that the Tony's are used as a marketing tool inorder to increase sales.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#13
Posted: 3/14/11 at 8:11pm
I don't know if that is correct. Many a time on the Tony Awards a show is nominated that has closed. They rarely win...but they are nominated.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#14
Posted: 3/15/11 at 7:05am
Its always an uphill climb for a closed show to win anything as you cant have another viewing closer to voting time.

I think it is nice that our openings are not around award season - bar the odd pushing press night into jan rather than dec.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#15
Posted: 3/15/11 at 8:52am
Updated On: 3/15/11 at 08:52 AM
Zenobia Profile PhotoZenobia Profile Photo
Zenobia
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
What now for LND?#16
Posted: 3/15/11 at 2:28pm
FWIW - I'm not a LND hater and I did see it last summer with a fairly open mind. It has some good songs and the stage sets / projections were awesome (as were the performers) - but I just couldn't get my brain around the ludicrous story. The central premise of this show is so flawed (Christine returning voluntarily to the Phantom's lair for some nookie just after escaping him into a better future with Raoul) that I just couldn't really enjoy myself. And I haven't returned to the music either. "Love never dies" will forever be "Our kind of love" from Beautiful Game for me and "Till I hear you sing again" - well, meh. It's a nice enough song, but it's a typical male solo song I've heard a gadzillion times before in that kind of show. If anything, "The Beauty Underneath" is the one great song from it, but that sticks out like a sore thumb.

So in short: I just can't be bothered to care for this show the way it is now. Perhaps if ALW had the guts to bin the present story, cut the kid and just rehash the central love triangle in a Coney Island setting (and write a few more new songs), I'd give it another chance.

And I think many people will not even want to see the show because of the ludicrous premise (not because they are against the sequel as such - like those Love must die-nutters).
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#17
Posted: 3/15/11 at 3:19pm
I'm one of the few people on this board who really like it so it seems. Seeing it for my 7th time on Monday :)
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What now for LND?#18
Posted: 3/15/11 at 3:23pm
Be sure to tell us all how Thaxton performs, should be thrilling!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What now for LND?#19
Posted: 3/15/11 at 7:27pm
Wish I could afford to see it that much, Mark xD
Ugly Duckling
Stand-by
Stand-by
What now for LND?#20
Posted: 3/15/11 at 7:33pm
Maybe I can already say something about that... in case you're interested, that is. Vocally, of course, it was stunning (the whole show was, to give everyone credit, very strong vocal performances from all the principals), and the 'Devil Take The Hindmost' confrontation between him and Karimloo was thrilling. Very loud applause. I thought he was magnificent and very honest, making Raoul very human in his self-loathing, lashing out and yet being clearly very insecure about his role in the family, in Christine's life, etc., so it all made a lot of sense as Raoul seemed more like someone who is lost and needs help than a thoroughly despicable human being. It's such an ungrateful part, but in the last scene - which gives him not a single line - his performance had the greatest impact on me, it was heartbreaking.
However, obviously, utterly and wasted in a part like this. It's a shame.