Page: 1

Next at the Aldwych

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#1
Posted: 2/15/11 at 11:30am
ATC is stating 'Matilda' is going to the Aldwych, whilst Rock of Ages will go to the Shaftesbury after Derren Brown.

Personally, I think I'd rather see it the other way round, (with Rock of Ages lasting 3 months before the theatre was given a thorough fumigation and a decent play put into the lovely old place.)

We shall see...
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#2
Posted: 2/15/11 at 11:49am
LOL, I agree.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#2
Posted: 2/15/11 at 11:53am
Rock of Ages is gonna be a massive hit!!!!
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#3
Posted: 2/15/11 at 12:00pm
What could be better- Rock of Ages and We Will Rock You both in one theatre district? It's a dream come true!

Now all we need is a second-rate ABBA tribute act and a dodgy clairvoyant and it'll be like a bad season in Bridlington.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#4
Posted: 2/15/11 at 12:04pm
The place was in a terrible state when I worked there in the late 80s and it hasnt had much done to it since then (neither have I!).
They have to learn to look after and maintain these buildings but it probably wont happen until somebody, on or off stage gets hurt!

The Comedy was closed the other day due to structural problems in the fly tower- that bad, that even with just a play it was deemed unsafe. They could even get the safety curtain down!!!!
Image in the immense preasure the stage houses of these old broads have with the mega mega musicals they house today.
I've seen lots of rehearsal footage for 'Ghost' and it certainly aint like the movie! Sharon does sound absolutely amazing tho.

Updated On: 2/15/11 at 12:04 PM
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#5
Posted: 2/15/11 at 12:07pm
'Not like the movie'- Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I don't like the film and haven't been struck by the music demo.

Incidentally, have you heard the dragon song sampled on the Shrek site? Sounds like they are going back to just one vocalist.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#6
Posted: 2/15/11 at 12:11pm
Next at the Aldwych
(this is the show I worked on at the Aldwych!)
Next at the Aldwych
The Aldwych

...and its sister, The Novello.
Next at the Aldwych
Next at the Aldwych

The Novello, The Aldwych and the long, long demolished Gaiety Theatre. The Gaiety is the large building on the right.
Next at the Aldwych

Updated On: 2/15/11 at 12:11 PM
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Next at the Aldwych#7
Posted: 2/15/11 at 12:42pm
'Footloose' currently out on a hugely successful tour will be looking for a new London home and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Aldwych would be acceptable to their needs.

We'll wait and see!
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#8
Posted: 2/15/11 at 5:37pm
Rock of Ages in the Shaftesbury? Surely it's a tad big! Ah well - I'll definitely be catching it again if it does come to London (which I imagine it will) because I thought it was the funnest cheesiest thing ever!

I have very little opinion on Matilda; I'm very touchy when it comes to Dahl cause I grew up so closely with the books, and I'm not a Tim Minchin fan at all; but if it does come to the Aldwych, I'll probably check it out.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Next at the Aldwych#9
Posted: 2/16/11 at 7:07am
So is Me and my Girl looking at The Gielgud?