Page: 1

A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#1
Posted: 9/13/10 at 12:17am
The Canadian made Broadway hit musical 'The Drowsy Chaperone' is being developed into a movie musical, Oscar winning actor Geoffrey Rush is slated to play the lead.

Screenwriter and director Don McKellar, who co-created the Tony-winning musical with Bob Martin, Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison, confirmed that Rush hopes to reprise the role of Man in Chair in a film adaptation.

Rush first played Man in Chair, the show's musical obsessed, cardigan wearing narrator, in the recent Australian premiere at the Melbourne Theatre Company earlier this year.

“We saw him and he was excellent and also he's an excellent person,” McKellar told Canadian newspaper, Globe and Mail.
“We're pretty excited about being involved with him”

Rush, who is in Toronto for the world premiere of his new film 'The King’s Speech' at the Toronto International Film Festival on Friday, will be sticking around for a couple of days to work with 'The Drowsy Chaperone' team.

“He is incredibly Man in Chair-like,” McKellar said of Rush. “When he was a little boy, instead of playing with trucks, he was making model theatres out of shoeboxes.”

McKellar kept tight-lipped about any other details about the film ,it’s in early stages right now and there’s not even a script.
“We're pursuing it in various ways, but there's nothing concrete to say,” he said.

McKellar did say he hoped 'The Drowsy Chaperone' would make it to the screen in less time than it took to get to Broadway, which isn’t saying all that much – the show debuted in 1998 at the Rivoli in Toronto and opened in New York on the Great White Way eight years later It played. It played London but was an immediate flop, running just 4 weeks.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#2
Posted: 9/13/10 at 5:34am
This will be a very difficult one to adapt to film.

And it ran 2 month in London (2.5 including previews), not 4 weeks as the article states. Still not nearly enough for such a wonderful show.

Looking forward to the Gatehouse production which is coming up very soon!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#2
Posted: 9/13/10 at 8:15am
Why??? Of all the fantastic musicals that could be turned into a film, someone would choose this load of boring twaddle. lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#3
Posted: 9/13/10 at 9:53am
Rush was pretty fabulous in the show earlier this year at MTC - in face the whole production was pretty great. Much less slick 21st century Broadway sets, more 1920's canvas drops and flats.

He'd be great in the film, but I'm not sure how great the actual film would be ... the piece is inherently theatrical in conceit and execution, and without big rewrites I just don't think it would work.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#4
Posted: 9/13/10 at 11:26am
"This will be a very difficult one to adapt to film."

This also proved hard to adapt into a worthy musical!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#5
Posted: 9/14/10 at 7:26am
LOL
It will be hard to take a musical theatre queen screaming at you from a screen 20ft by 50ft - it was enough when he stuck 50ft away from you on the stage screaming!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#6
Posted: 9/14/10 at 8:21am
I waas the one who was screaming when I saw it in New York - screaming why the f**k had I paid all that money to see such utter drivel lol.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 'Drowsy' Night At The Cinema!#7
Posted: 9/14/10 at 8:22am
Me too Bob, me too. I was pissed off cos there was no interval to leave during!!!!