SHREK -The Musical. Theatre Royal, Drury Lane 2011

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SHREK -The Musical. Theatre Royal, Drury Lane 2011

This all-new production straight from Broadway is based on Shrek's adventures in the classic William Steig book and Oscar-winning film.

Joining Shrek on his journey from the swamp to the stage will be his wisecracking sidekick Donkey, Princess Fiona, Lord Farquaad and a chorus of everybody's favorite fairytale creatures.

With more layers than ever and a completely original new score, 'Shrek- The Musical' proves that there's more to the story than meets the ears.

Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. London

Previews from 6th May 2011
Opening night 7th June 2011
Updated On: 4/23/11 at 05:02 AM
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Confirmed for the 7th June 2011, with previews starting in May.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So, it's official - there is no God. lol
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR*****
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The logo is a vast improvement on the Broadway one and the one they used for its tryout even if it is a carbon copy of the film logo.
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bob stop whining! it will be fun SHREK -The Musical. Theatre Royal, Drury Lane 2011
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
bob, why DO you hate Jeanine Tesori so much? I thought you might at least like Caroline, Or Change but apparently not.

I have to admit she's written the music for two of my favourite MT songs of the 00s - Lot's Wife and Who I'd Be - so although I think the Shrek score has a couple of clunkers in it there's a lot there to like.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL, matt. I know you and many others will have fun. I'm just baffled that some great shows don't make it across the pond while this drivel is coming, especially as it flopped on Broadway.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR*****
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
right bob me and you will go see shrek together and if you hate it ill buy dinner!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, deNada, I guess it's just me LOL. I hated the Caroline Or Change score with a vengeance. To my ears, the music was utterly horrible and totally tuneless. Similarly with Shrek. And her songs for Millie I also found pretty bland and boring.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, Matt! But I'd be too afraid I might throw up my dinner. I've seen it once so unless it has a totally different book and score, I'm not going to like it any more the second time LOL.

Seriously, I have no quarrels with anyone else liking it - everyone has their own tastes. But I honestly could not sit through it again even if someone paid me to see it. It was that painful the first time round.
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
we could do dinner after a show? shiz i must get to see assassins
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"LOL, matt. I know you and many others will have fun. I'm just baffled that some great shows don't make it across the pond while this drivel is coming, especially as it flopped on Broadway."

As you know on here I found Shrek to be good, but no more than that, in a way I could understand Bob's profound dislike of the show, like some others on here, such as Princeton and SADM, bu5t still think give it another go. I also get why people like this show.

But the statement Bob made above which I have quoted him on, I agree with 100%, but still keen on the idea of Shrek coming over
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Caroline Or Change bored the ******* **** off me! Crap theatre!
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
100% agree on that, but Shrek sounds nothing like that yawn-fest.

I just hope Daniel Breaker comes across. He is a magnetic performer!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The main problem with Shrek is that it goes from one extreme to the other. Some of the numbers I would honestly say are some of the best musical theatre writing in recent years (I Know it's today/Who I'd Be are just fantastic).

Then you have songs that are pretty good (Big Bright Beautiful world, Morning Person, Freak Flag, This is my story, I think I got you beat).

Then the rest are just...crap.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I must have fallen asleep and missed the good songs then LOL.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Freak Flag is a great closer. It should be the finale.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah - would have been great if the show ended after that. LOL

(BTW - that was the song I think I hated the most in the whole show. Really did my head in lol.)
Updated On: 7/3/10 at 10:51 AM
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm glad the show is coming to the West End! I hope it will be a success in the U.K. like "Legally Blonde". Also, thank goodness "Shrek Forever After" had such strong legs at the box office because I heard Dreamworks was uncertain about bringing the musical to London since the fourth film had a slow start. However, it held strong for many weeks and has recouped far beyond its budget. The film cost $165 million and has made $231 million in America and has a worldwide total of $323 million.
Updated On: 3/2/11 at 01:35 PM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What happenned to the days when the stage of Drury Lane was graced by only the very best of Broadway musicals: the Rodgers and Hammerstein shows of the 1950s; the Jerry Herman shows of the 1960s; A Chorus Line in the 1970s. The last time a truly great original Broadway musical was on that stage was probably 30 years ago.

Something is seriously wrong when the best the Americans have to send us is fart humour.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lolo i agree Scripps

I think i liked one song in Shrek, a ballad he sings at the end of Act2

The rest were not my think
I also did not really like the score for Caroline or Change
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Begrudgingly, I think we have to accept Miss Saigon, with its record-breaking run can be accepted as a classic. That it was a West End original, rather than Broadway transfer is not really important, is it?

Anything Goes, and My Fair Lady though UK revivals, were classic Broadway shows.

Perhaps the more pertinent question is: where are the new Broadway shows that could fill the shoes of the classic R&H musicals?

I can't think of any shows in recent years that should have transfered into Drury Lane from Broadway.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I can't think of any shows in recent years that should have transfered into Drury Lane from Broadway"

The Light In The Piazza?
Titanic?

Both are great shows which certainly should have had West End transfers and would certainly be worthy of gracing the Drury Lane stage. There are definitely brilliant American shows out there and the best of the bunch (IMO one of THE greatest musicals of any generation), Next To Normal, definitely merits a West End outing - though admittedly it needs a smaller house than Drury Lane.

Btw Scripps, Drury Lane did stage The Producers, which - though not a masterpiece of a show bv any means - is one the most successful American musicals (certainly the most successful at the Tonys!).

But the whole issue of quality new shows from the US not making it over is symptomatic of what is wrong with musical theatre in recent times - producers go for the "easy buck" option of revivals or new shows based on hit movies or juke-box shows. But that fact notwithstanding, it is still a bafflement why producers would go for a show that has already failed on Broadway
(and is crap into the bargain LOL). Methinks that, as its main claim to fame concerns wind, it will suffer the fate of Nunn's recent debacle at the New London and will soon be Gone With The Wind.
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'll probably give this a shot, only at a discounted price though.

However, this'll be the type of show which will attract disruptive kids who won't sit still - one of my biggest pet peeves in theatre!!
Everything in life...is only for now.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I saw it in New York, there was a mother with two kids infront of us, they were SO annoying. My mum got so annoyed that on numerous occasions during act 1 she tapped the mother and asked her to keep the children in control. We moved for act two haha.

Saying that, my mum and sister saw it twice because they really enjoyed it on the wednesday night, and quite honestly there wasn't really anything else for children to see.
Updated On: 7/4/10 at 03:14 PM