Page: 1

Song & Dance to return to London's West-End?

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Claire Sweeney has said this evening in a TV interview that the upcoming tour of "Tell Me on a Sunday" is being mounted with the view to continuing into a West-End production of "Song and Dance" next year.

For those who do not know, "Song and Dance is a musical comprising two acts, one told entirely in "Song" and one entirely in "Dance", tied together by a love story.

The first part is Tell Me On A Sunday, with lyrics by Don Black and music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, about a young British woman's romantic misadventures in New York City and Hollywood. A one-woman tour-de-force written specifically for Marti Webb, it was presented at the Sydmonton Festival in the summer of 1979, subsequently recorded, and was aired as a one-hour television special by the BBC the following January.

The second part is a ballet choreographed to Variations, composed by Lloyd Webber for his cellist brother Julian, which is based on the A Minor Caprice No. 24 by Paganini. It was recorded in 1978, and nearly became incorporated into Cats. (The opening sequence was utilized as the theme music for London Weekend Television's South Bank Show). Producer Cameron Mackintosh proposed the two pieces be combined under the umbrella title Song and Dance to acknowledge the primary aspect of each act"
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why?
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd love to see the show in its entirety live, but I hate the revisions for the latest incarnation of Tell Me on a Sunday with Denise Van Outen. I absolutely hate Speed Dating, Haven in the Sky and Somewhere Someplace Sometime.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Denise Van Outen cast recording is the only version od Song and Dance I have listened to, so got no barometer to compare it to, I really enjoyed enjoyed this to and thought 'DVO' was great. This album has got some of my favourite ALW songs on it, such as 'Tell Me On A Sunday', Take That Look Off Your Face' and 'Unexpected Song', which is awesome. Thanks Matt you have made my mind up which album I will listen to on the way home tonight.

Love to see this on a London stage and would think Claire Sweeny would be awesome for the part, the only problem is it is only half a show, I stay for the 'song', but gone for the 'dance'.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I actually do like TMOAS - but I just don't welcome yet another ALW revival on the West End.

As for the DVO show and the recording , it is the worst recorded version of the show I've heard and Miss Van O is appalling on it LOL - she literally murders Unexpected Song, she does not have the vocal prowess to tackle it. POL, take a listen to Bernie singing it on the OBC cast album - way beyond awesome!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Tell Me On A Sunday belongs to Marti Webb. No one comes close to her.
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I'd love to see the show in its entirety live, but I hate the revisions for the latest incarnation of Tell Me on a Sunday with Denise Van Outen. I absolutely hate Speed Dating, Haven in the Sky and Somewhere Someplace Sometime."

This production is going back to the original Marti Webb piece, with the addition of one new song written by ALW. Speed Dating etc. will be absent.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMG! ALW is writing a NEW song!
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Song and dance! Song and dance!"

To the tune of Superstar ^^

Seriously though, what says it'll be in Db? xD
Updated On: 6/30/10 at 06:49 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Double bore, but you will get the chance to escape in the interval.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom - You really need to hear the original Marti Webb and the Bernadette Peters recordings. Unexpected Song is fabulous on the Bernadette recording (except the last note) and I also enjoy The Last Man in My Life, the song it replaced (in terms of placement in the show, but it was known as When You Want to Fall in Love and sung at the end of the second act) on the Marti Webb recording. I like Denise, but the new recording is the worst of the lot. The Sarah Brightman recording represents a version that was the transition between the original London production and Broadway. Sarah sings it okay, but her acting is wooden and empty. She pretty much offers only the notes and the lyrics without any hint of character.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I HATE the Bernadette Peters recording. She sounds pretty awful on it to be honest.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bernadette Peters singing the TMOAS score - or singing just about anything - is a masterclass in musical theatre singing. Every nuance in phrasing, every vocal inflection is there for a reason and she interprets a lyric better than any singer I've ever heard and is one of the few singers, male or female, who I think has total truth in every performance. When I hear her sing I FEEL what the character feels. There are very few singers I can say that about.

And I have to disagree with Mama - Bernie's last note on Unexpected Song is mindblowing.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Looks like I have to buy 2 albums now!!!!!!
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I generally like Bernadette Peters but Iím really not a fan of the Broadway Song & Dance album Ė the orchestra sound ropey, Ms Peters sounds ill (which I believe she was), her accent is distractingly appalling and the production of the album as a whole is sub-standard. Having said that, itís worth buying for the final scene which is just amazing.

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oi Bob, I didnt comment on Bernies performance!'!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, mama - I meant Mister Matt. My ancient eyes are failing me lol.
AngusN
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
URGH! How can Bernadette Peters and Claire bloody Sweeney be discussed in the same thread???
I wish Claire would bu**er off back to Phil Redmond land and get a part in Hollyoaks, rather than making poor attempts at theatre roles that are far beyond her abilities?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just had a look at buying 'Tell Me ON A Sunday' on Amazon;

They have the Denise Van Outen version there for £5.51
The Marti Webb version for £49.99 (used)
Song and Dance (2005), Don't know who the female star is? £14:99
Song and Dance (US import,1999) Bernadette Peter's £7.99
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
50 quid!? I love Marti and Sunday, but really!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
POL - if you can get the OBC one for £7.99, that's a fantastic bargain - snap it up!
The DVO one I would say is overpriced by about £5.50.
My Oh My Profile PhotoMy Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Broadway version is the tighter of the three versions, imo. Emma's need for travel to NYC is made clear and is understandable, partly to further her career and partly to visit her lover. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember the Denise version removing her career aspirations and made it all about finding a man, which is sort of pathetic.

The Broadway version shows Emma's progressive decline due to repeated disillusionment and loneliness. Although her career has taken off, her love life--and her self-esteem--hit rock bottom. I agree that the ending is great. Nothing too shocking for the observer, since it's made plain to us what she's becoming throughout, but significant to the character.

I adore the Marti Webb version too but I always find myself going back to the Broadway version. It's true the overall production of the album leaves much to be desired and Bernadette sounds very "unpolished" at times but I kind of like that about it. What I can't stand is the pitiful mixing job which sometimes makes her sound as if she's singing with a pillowcase over her head inside a bathroom!
Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who's lined up for the Wayne Sleep "Dance" part if they do revive ir; always my fave part of the show