Page: 1

The GLUMtasticks - The Reviews - Great Toilets, Shame Bout The Show!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The GLUMtasticks - The Reviews - Great Toilets, Shame Bout The Show!
The show may be a huge hit in its homeland of America but here in the UK, again, it fails to light up London.
A show is in trouble when the reviewers rave about the toilets more than the show!

The London Evening Standard
* of 5
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/theatre/review-23843321-the-fantasticks-is-a-neighbourly-tale-of-clichs-and-little-wit.do

The Stage
Pan
http://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/28540/the-fantasticks

The Daily Telegraph
** of 5
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/7816901/The-Fantasticks-at-the-Duchess-Theatre-review.html
The Guardian
** of 5
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2010/jun/10/the-fantasticks-michael-billington

Updated On: 6/11/10 at 07:56 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh dear, thats not good
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I didn't expect them to be.
From day one I just didn't understand why it was being given the big treatment by Nimax.
3 or 4 weeks and it will be gone, it wont run until September now fore sure.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im a bit surprised as word of mouth as been pretty good
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Im not sure what words were coming out of friends mouth the other night because he said he was asleep for most of it!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I heard good word of mouth on this from a friend, but I have to say that friend does have odd taste.

I've never seen or heard this show. It sounds rather like Salad Days.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think these critics must have their heads up their a****s. The Fantasticks is a brilliant show with one of THE best scores of any musical theatre piece, written by two of the most talented musical theatre songwriters ever. Plus it's innovative, witty and intelligent. And this is a wonderful staging of the piece with a more talented cast than you are likely to see on any West End stage at the moment. It's worth the price of the ticket for Edward Petherbridge's comic tour de force performance and Hadley Fraser's vocals alone (and that's not counting two knockout performances from David Burt and Clive Rowe).

After sitting through Love Never Dies just 7 days before I saw the Fantasticks, it was so wonderful to actually hear a succession of songs with beautiful melodies that actually went somewhere instead of standing still and to hear a libretto that sounded as if it was actually written by an adult.

DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THESE REVIEWS. This is a FIVE STAR show.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/11/10 at 02:50 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was afraid this would happen. Sounds like a terrible production in a space too large. With the right touch in a small space, the show can be magical. It is a sweet and sappy story, just like the musicals of old, but it was the intimacy of its staging and connection with the audience that made the Commedia dell'Arte aspect of it work and turned it into a hit. I'd seen the show twice in its original Sullivan Street location. The first time, I just wanted to see what all the hubub was about and expected it to be rather dull and antiquated. I fell in love with the show on first viewing. A few years ago, I attended an amateur production in NYC and got a lethal does of exactly how delicate a piece the show is. Just waiting for the interval to leave was pure torture. Two years later, I talked my partners into seeing the new Off-Broadway production and it was just as delightful as at the Sullivan. He loved it, too and was literally in tears more than once during the production. And he's not even American!

The material hasn't changed, so I'm sort of mystified why some of the reviews are approaching it like it is a new work. Yes, it is cheesy and sappy an syrupy and it was written in 1960. It didn't become famous for its story. I certainly don't see it as any more irritating than the original version of The Boy Friend. The Fantasticks was a ground-breaking musical that was very much a product of its time.

Well, at least you still have Enron...
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 6/11/10 at 03:03 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mister Matt, I saw the current Off-Broadway production at the Jerry Orbach theatre and, yes, there's no doubt it was even better in that beautiful intimate space. But the Duchess theatre is a very small West End house and it is still quite an intimate production. Plus Myamoto's direction if brilliantly inventive and the whole show was simply magical. And, as I said before, the whole cast were about as good as it gets. It's just that nowadays unfortunately people seem to prefer spectacular special effects with mediocre scores to pure theatre with genuinely great songs.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/11/10 at 03:32 PM
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw it tonight. I actually rather enjoyed it. Thought Act 1 was much stronger than act two though. Performances were strong all round.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this show a couple of years ago at The Snapple Theatre in New York (hellishly cramped seating, thank goodness the theatre wasn't full so I could move).

Simple if derivative but charming show absolutely enlivened by the appearance of the two old theatrical players, one of which was played by the co-writer Tom Jones, under his stage name of Thomas Bruce, and the other (whose name escapes me) who was hilarious as the Native American -actually billed as 'The man who dies' (he later, unfortunately and ironically, died during his run of the show).

As put off as I am by the stinking London reviews, I may just get half-price tickets for one evening when I'm at a loose end (although I do wish the producers had booked a more intimate space).
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CLOSES JUNE 26.

Such a shame.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It would seem the fault lies with a director who has "reconceived" the show.