Happy Birthday Billy Boy.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Happy Birthday Billy Boy.#1
Posted: 3/18/10 at 10:36am
Happy Birthday Billy Boy.
'Billy Elliot' is about to celebrate its 5th birthday at the Victoria Palace.
There are not many who said it wouldn't catch on all those years back but I'm sure there are many more who dared to think it would run 5 years and conquer the world.

Here is an interview with the shows creators.
'How Billy swept the globe'.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-features/7458121/How-Billy-Elliot-swept-the-globe.html

Your mam would have been proud son.

Updated On: 3/18/10 at 10:36 AM
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Happy Birthday Billy Boy.#2
Posted: 3/18/10 at 12:47pm
What a great interview. I must admit I was unsure of how such an unavowedly British community would be portrayed on a Broadway (or other foreign) stage without losing its accent and authenticity. Didn't the film have to have subtitles in many US cinemas?

I think this is the part of the article which most impressed me:
It is also, increasingly, an experience where life mirrors art. There have been more than 30 Billys cast worldwide, and if you count them and their young friend Michael and the chorus of dancers, then there have been hundreds of boys who have been directly touched by the Billy effect.

In Lee Hall’s estimation, 95 per cent of them have come from backgrounds similar to the character’s, where dancing is not an obvious career choice. “That for me is the most lovely thing,” he says. “We have discovered that there is real, real proper talent out there which would have been untapped if we hadn’t made the musical.”

I wonder if we'll see Billy reunion performances in years to come? It would be interesting to see how many Billy's and Michael's continue to make their careers in the performing arts.
Seen some shows in my time....
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Happy Birthday Billy Boy.#2
Posted: 3/18/10 at 5:12pm
I loved the film Billy Elliot and alays thought even before the musical was conceived that it would work amazing on stage. so I was bloody right, happy 5th birthday you old sod! Still one of my favourite shows in London.

With the film the ending is amazing with the expression on 'dads' face when he sees Billy Elliot in Swan Lake, you will never be able to capture that moment on stage.

However with the stage gives you, 4 key scenes, which work beautifully on stage, they are;

1 - Cross dressing scene (tap)
2 - Angry Dance
3 - Swan Lake
4 - Electricity

The four scenes above are about beauty of movement and are key in context with the story and what really makes Billy work well on stage.

What one of the four scenes is your favourite?

Updated On: 3/18/10 at 05:12 PM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Happy Birthday Billy Boy.#3
Posted: 3/18/10 at 5:57pm
The pastie.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Happy Birthday Billy Boy.#4
Posted: 3/19/10 at 6:52pm
I can't believe it's 5 years since I first saw the show in London. Currently my most seen show ever, I saw it last month and it remains as brilliant as ever thanks to all the wonderful Billy's who've performed over the years. Favourites for me have to be little Travis Yates and Leon Cooke and as Mrs Wilkinson, the imcomparable Haydn Gwynne Happy Birthday Billy Boy.