Page: 1

Cast Recording Cringe!

legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast Recording Cringe!#1
Posted: 3/16/10 at 4:27pm
Any moments on Cast Recordings that make you cringe inside?

I've got a couple, but the main one has to be 'In the Heights'

In the opening number when
Vanessa: "You owe me a bottle of cheap champagne!"
Usnavi: Are you leaving?

Usnavi's line is so cringe, it sounds kinda out of tune and just grates everytime! lol

your turn...GO!!

"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Cast Recording Cringe!#2
Posted: 3/16/10 at 4:53pm
During The Tommy Steele Scrooge cast recording (which we had to rush to record) in the middle of December 25th, one of the ensemble gets a bit carried away and sings "deccember...." and then realises shes wrong and it was removed during the mix down - god it annoys me everytime i listen to it!
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast Recording Cringe!#2
Posted: 3/16/10 at 5:13pm
CD 1 and CD 2 of 'Love Never Dies'
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Cast Recording Cringe!#3
Posted: 3/16/10 at 5:43pm
I enjoyed LND but the cast recording mixing and mastering is awful....it sounds like your listening to it thru a biscuit tin...
The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast Recording Cringe!#4
Posted: 3/16/10 at 8:07pm
Rocky Horror Show The Whole Gory Story, when Rocky says hello to everyone its like...just so...bad...
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
frontrowcentre2 Profile Photofrontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast Recording Cringe!#5
Posted: 3/17/10 at 1:32am
The film soundtrack of HELLO DOLLY! - Aside from Barbra, nobody can sing! (Maybe she wanted it that way.) Ok, Matthau sounds gruff and its in character but Michael Crawford has a terrible time with the top notes. The Barnaby is awful, and the chorus sounds dainty instead of enthusiastic.

On a proper cast album Gordon Polk's climatic note on "Don't Tell Me" (HAPPY HUNTING) is a clinker made all the more painful because 5 seconds later Ethel does her opening song and blows him and everyone else out of the water.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

mikeysussex
Understudy
Understudy
Cast Recording Cringe!#6
Posted: 3/17/10 at 4:25am
The Streidnd 'Hello Dolly' was awful(Crawford has never been able to muster a credible American accent). Channing was better but the best still is Pearl Bailey and the black cast. It's far superior in every way.

Mind you, the 'Time' soundtrack was cringeworthy as the show.
Judge: 'What do you do on earth?'
Cliff: I'm a rock star
Judge: A rock star? Stars are in the sky, not on earth.

Please get me my Ibupofen!
choitoy Profile Photochoitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Cast Recording Cringe!#7
Posted: 3/17/10 at 8:00pm
My sister and I have been listening to the Streisand "Dolly" ever since Wall-e, and we both thought the same thing. Even in the same song, there are miles of differences between everyone else's vocals vs. Streisand's. "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" is one glaring example. Everyone else sounds like they were recorded with the microphone on one side of a large hallway and the chorus on the other, while Bab's vocals sound like they were recorded intimately in a cushy sound booth.

It's the strangest thing.
Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!
Lexy 1968
Swing
Swing
Cast Recording Cringe!#8
Posted: 3/18/10 at 3:45am
There's a fantastic bum note from a member of the brass section on the Overture from the Original London Cast Recording of Hans Andersen with Tommy Steele.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast Recording Cringe!#9
Posted: 3/18/10 at 7:16am
OBC HELLO, DOLLY! when Channing comes in early (in Sunday Clothes) and stops short. Even when the Deluxe Version was released they didn't omit it.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast Recording Cringe!#10
Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:32am
Oh another one; on the 2005 Sweet Charity recording, in Big Spender the last time they say "I don't pop my cork for every guy I see" one of the girls really stands out when she quivers on the see, and she is really loud too. I've heard it once, now I hear it every time haha!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II