Liverpool Royal Court Theatre- Major New Venue

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

An early programe cover.

The art deco exterior that has somehow gone to look very unattractive over the yeras.

The stunning auditorium.

The future.

Opened in 1938.
Seating capacity: 1612
Large stage (that will be made bigger after the redevelopment).
Orchestra that can hold up to 55 musicians at present, this may be made slightly smaller to accommodate a larger under stage area.

In regular theatrical use until the early 90's but mostly used as a rock concert venue since 1992. In recent years it has staged a number of touring productions including seasons by the National Theatre.

Liverpool's Royal Court theatre is to receive a new 30 year lease (with an application already being applied for to make it 125 years), paving the way for a massive 10m revamp.
The current lease on the Grade II listed building ends in January next year, and without that extension, the Royal Court Trust said the buildings future as a live venue was very doubtful.
A rooftop bar, a restaurant and a striking new entrance will all be key features of the new look theatre. A bar will be created on each floor, which could attract daytime customers, as well as those attending a show.
Most importantly, huge amounts of extra space will be created backstage by building a pod above the stage door delivery bay.
The new features will be carefully designed to complement the original 1930s architecture.
A spokesman for the Royal Court said 'This lease will give Liverpool another world class venue and would put the Royal Court on an equal footing with the Philharmonic Hall and the Everyman and Playhouse Theatres.
The future development will mean that the Royal Court will be more suitable to take in some of the larger musicals that the huge Empire Theatre always seems to dwarf. The Royal Court could easily become the number one touring house for Liverpool.

Updated On: 1/29/10 at 07:01 AM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Like you say Mama, it looks lovely on the old programme cover but horrible in the photograph. Hopefully that will change with the revamp. I don't think that ugly building behind it helps.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I toured with 'Rocky Horror' in 1983 and we had a week at the Royal Court.
It was one of the worse weeks I ever spent in a theatre. It was the most unequiped theatre I have ever come across. They provided absolutely nothing and we pulled the Monday show so that all the hired stuff just for that week could arrive!
There was no heating anywhere in the theatre (not good for a company mostly in fishnets!).
We had to call someone every evening to come along and open the theatre, then we had to wait for the fireman to toddle along grumpy and groaning- they didn't have many stage shows at that time and it was obviously putting him out to open the theatre for a show!
With the history its had in the last few decades I honestly thought it would have been torn down some time ago.
This development is brilliant news. (maybe not for the Empire though!)
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I toured with 'Rocky Horror' in 1983"

If you toured with it in 1985 and played the Manchester Palace I would have seen you?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was the first ever tour of the show after it closed in the West End. Very short, played Cardiff, Bath, Bradford, Liverpool and Nottingham.
The big tour that travelled for years went out from Hanley in 1985, thats the one you saw. Des was Dr Scott in ours! Susie McKenna was Columbia and Sue Hodge (Allo Allo) was Magenta! Star casting eh!