Page: 1

Upcoming Epic NEW Musical - teaser available on YouTube

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There is a "teaser" now available on YouTube about the 19th century epic new musical, "My Land's Shore" (Music & Lyrics by Christopher J. Orton, Book & Lyrics by myself) - complete with fully orchestrated music clips of demos from the score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjr3Mj88dg

A concert version of the show was presented in Cardiff in 2007, directed by Craig Revel Horwood. And a studio recording of the full score with a cast of West End stars will be available by the spring of 2010.

Sorry for the unashamed plug - but please take a look and listen. The music really is amazing.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well done Bob, I watched your 5 minute presentation and surprising for me, really loved it, you might hate the next comment I am going to say, but it reminds me of 'Martin Guerre', I understand it, if I am the only person to make the comparison.

So I guess all this time you have been going under the disguise of Bob, when you are really Robert Peel, but well done I loved the clip and hope it makes it to the West End.

I see this is set in Merthyr Tydfil, funny enough my Great Grandparents came over from County Cork, Ireland in the late nineteenth century, my Great Grandfather came over to work the mines, I still have a lot of family there now in places such as Pentrebach, Troedyrhiw & Mountain Ash etc. My cousins were one of the first at the scene in the awful Aberfan disaster to help in the rescue.

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Glad you like the teaser, Phantom. Hope you love it enough to buy the CD when it's released next year LOL. (We have an awesome cast lined up - details will be officially announced early next year.)

Interesting to read about your Welsh connection. Actually there was a large Irish immigrant contingent in Merthyr at the time of the Rising in 1831 - and the show has a number of Irish characters.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Has anyone compared your show to 'Martin Guerre'?

It said in your trailer that it is going to open in London in 2010, but where are you now with your show?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom - the trailer doesn't say the show is going to open in London in 2010 - it says that the CD will be released in 2010.

We had very positive feedback after the concert staging in Cardiff two years ago, since when we've done a substantial rewrite of the show - and it's in an even better place now - and there's going to be a fully staged production of the latest version in Newport next year.

It's really hard to attract the kind of investment needed to develop a "big" show like this to get it to a point where a major professional production is possible. So we decided that the best route forward was to make a full studio recording of the score in the hope that the CD will help raise the profile of the show - just as ALW did with many of his early musicals. We are really fortunate to have assembled an amazing cast of West End stars for the recording and when it's completed, the album is going to be amazing!

As for the "Martin Guerre" analogy, no one has mentioned that before - though Craig Revel Horwood did say in an interview on BBC Radio that it was a "Les Mis for Wales". I guess the music is in the same vein as MG and LM in the sense that it has a soaring epic score and it's also a historical musical. (It's actually totally different in style to any of the other shows Chris Orton and I are working on.)

If you really did like the music you heard in the teaser, you might like to listen to the demos of songs on the show's myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/mylandsshoreanewmusicalforwales
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I fully appreciate the challenges of getting recognition to advance a show, to get the necessary finance for a decent run, this enforces my opinion that I will always appreciate a original book and music, than a jukebox/tribute musical!

I see Craig's point with Les Mis, but Les Mis is about a individual, Martin Guerre is more about a group of people, even though the show title promote a individual, that why I draw comparisons with My Land Shore!
dgjbear
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
That sounds great! I kinda know of the story as well and the Weatherspoons pub in Merthyr Tydfil is called the Dic Penyderren re: Upcoming Epic NEW Musical - teaser available on YouTube

Is it sung through?

Good luck with it...I will look out for the CD!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, the Wetherspoon's in Merthyr is called The Dic Penderyn - I went in there whilst doing my research! LOL

No, the show is not sung through. The very earliest version of the show was sung through - and was given a workshop production in London with John Barr as Dic Penderyn. I came on board the project some time after that (after I'd worked with Chris Orton on the musical Elephant Juice) and when I set about rewriting the Book, I decided it worked better as a traditional "book" show, utisising dialogue as well as song.

Thanks for your good wishes - I will post news of casting and release dates of the CD at the appropriate times. I will also post details of our plans to stage the show in Newport next Spring once dates are finalized.