Profile for Scripps2

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld Scripps2
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: Scripps2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 1 - 22
Profile: I go to the theatre to be stimulated, moved and challenged. Sometimes I get all three and occasionally I get my mind jolted as well. Particular thanks to Messrs Chekhov, Ibsen and Sondheim.

Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Company
Follies
Ragtime
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Brent Barrett
Daniel Evans
Julia McKenzie
Emma Williams

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • National Theatre: Follies  Aug 23 2017, 03:41:00 PM

Thanks for sharing jewishboy - I read all your review and I'm grateful for every word.

The fact that Bolero d'Amour is there also provides encouragement - doesn't this get cut from the later rewrites? It certainly wasn't in the 1987 London production.

• National Theatre: Follies  Aug 23 2017, 01:24:17 AM

It looks like the real dress to worry about is Janie Dee's; it resembles my grandmother's bathrobe.

• National Theatre: Follies  Aug 22 2017, 05:45:01 PM

A couple of photographs of the set have appeared on Instagram and can be seen on this thread at Theatreboard:

http://theatreboard.co.uk/thread/1654/follies?page=58

• Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...  Jul 28 2017, 03:10:21 PM

It's funny you should post that Brody because my tailor has been saying exactly the same thing but I really don't think brown suits are in my palette and I already have several Prince-of-Wales check shirts.

• re: 'Angels in America' revival?  Jul 28 2017, 03:04:55 PM

LYLS3637 said: "His last monologue was sublime."

And particularly moving to a British audience broadcast, as it was, 50 years to the day since the decriminalisation of homosexuality.

• re: 'Angels in America' revival?  Jul 28 2017, 03:02:10 PM

BJR said: "Now, the production. Absolutely stunning."

Agreed.

I've seen several productions but this was by far the most memorable. I'd go so far as to say that Andrew Garfield's performance was on par with Mark Rylance in Jerusalem. Denise Gough as Harper was also extraordinary and Nathan Lane's performance as Roy Cohn brought insight into self-delusion an duplicity that I hadn't seen before.

I also felt the angel was more appropria

• Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...  Jul 26 2017, 03:53:53 PM

Thanks for the gif Brody!

• So why is Prior Walter...  Jul 26 2017, 03:49:42 PM

The first two productions I saw were regional productions in the north of England in the pre-internet age so they could easily have made unofficial changes themselves.

Or maybe I dreamed it.

But the Domesday Book does make more sense since people are identified by name in there, whereas they aren't (as far as I'm aware) in the Bayeux Tapestry.

Thanks for checking your scripts folks!

• Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...  Jul 25 2017, 05:24:55 PM

Public User said: "yes we get the point, you were making a "joke""

My post about missing the point was aimed solely at BrodyFosse123.

• Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...  Jul 25 2017, 04:12:28 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "FYI: Brick's beau was Skipper.  

Even Maggie, Sister Woman, Big Mama, Big Daddy and heck, even the little no neck monsters knew this.
    "

You completely miss my point.

• Maggie should have had her suspicions about Brick...  Jul 24 2017, 04:56:28 PM

..when she saw the tattoo dedicated to "Jack" on his arm.

Jack O'Connell in the latest London revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: 

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/1Jack-OConnell-Brick-Cat-on-a-Hot-Tin-Roof-Photographer-credit-Johan-Persson.jpg

• So why is Prior Walter...  Jul 24 2017, 04:42:41 PM

I thought, at first, that was a question about Angels in America Dev!

• National Theatre: Follies  Jul 23 2017, 03:25:46 PM

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

Do we know if the 2001 and 2011 Broadway productions used the same book as each other or has Follies (including the 1971 original and the 1987 rewrite) had four different versions of its book?

I'm so hoping they'll use the 1971 original but suspect we'll get a hybrid. 

• So why is Prior Walter...  Jul 23 2017, 03:20:20 PM

Thanks for that Kad.

I haven't read the script but I'm sure I've seen a production where the reference is to the Domesday Book and it seems to add a more ominous tone than the Bayeux Tapestry suggests.

• Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?  Jul 22 2017, 03:24:12 PM

The only one I haven't seen a professional production of is Do I Hear A Waltz.

• National Theatre: Follies script  Jul 22 2017, 03:21:22 PM

It would seem that the National are publishing their version of the Follies book shortly after previews begin:

https://shop.nationaltheatre.org.uk/follies.html

This presumably means they are using one of the rewrites rather than the already published 1971 original unless someone here knows more than I or can provide better informed speculation....?

• So why is Prior Walter...  Jul 22 2017, 03:16:03 PM

...now stiched into the Bayeux Tapestry when he was previously written into the Domesday Book?

• THE BOYS IN THE BAND Broadway Revival - Spring 2018?  Jun 24 2017, 04:33:07 AM

Regarding the recent London production I couldn't make up my mind whether it was the writing or the acting but I think anyone going in expecting to see a rediscovered masterpiece will be disappointed. A period piece, yes, and an interesting one for documenting the attitudes of the time and perhaps setting where we are now in context.

• HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews / OPENING NIGHT  Apr 23 2017, 04:07:40 PM

That's a great analysis of Hello Dolly, PJ, none of which had occurred to me but is absolutely there. It would seem that Jerry Herman's score moves quickly to our hearts whilst leaving almost-impenetrable footprints in our mind.

• HELLO, DOLLY! Reviews / OPENING NIGHT  Apr 22 2017, 06:09:24 AM

And why has David Hyde Pierce been made up to look like William Ewart Gladstone?!