Ecuadorian Cellist Engages Sioux Falls Community
Ecuadorian cellist engages Sioux Falls community with activities and world-class performance
The South Dakota Symphony Orchestra (SDSO) will feature Ecuadorian cellist Francisco Vila-Haas, a member of the Sphinx Organization for a week-long residency starting February 25, impacting multiple areas of the community. His residency precedes a special performance of Edouard Lalo's Cello Concerto on the Saturday, March 2 performance of Prokofiev Triumphant!
Prokofiev Triumphant! features Sergei Prokofiev's Fifth Symphony, as well as a side-by-side performance of the "Triumphal March" from AIDA with the South Dakota Symphony Youth Orchestra. The community engagement activities for Francisco Vila-Haas are as follows:
- Harmony South Dakota will host Francisco Vila-Haas on Tuesday, February 26 at 3:20 p.m. as he performs and speaks with the students about his experiences making music, and the students will share their own music with Vila-Haas.
- Vila-Haas will give a lecture and demonstration for English Language Learners at Lincoln High School, discussing guest artist experiences and careers on Wednesday, February 27.
- On Thursday, February 28 at 12:00 p.m., Francisco Vila-Haas along with the Hispanic Business Network will meet with students at Roosevelt High School who have recently come to the United States and discuss one-on-one stories and opportunities.
- The South Dakota Symphony Youth Orchestra's cello students will workshop with Francisco Vila-Haas Thursday, February 28 at 4:00 p.m. at the Washington Pavilion.
- The SDSO League will host Music Director Delta David Gier and cellist Francisco Vila-Haas at their March 1 luncheon, providing an opportunity to get up close and personal with both of the artists. To make a reservation, please call the SDSO office at (605) 335-7933 ext. 15.
Francisco Vila-Haas began playing the cello at age 8 and had his solo debut with orchestra at 14. Concert activities have taken him throughout Europe, North American, and South America. "Vila brought out the fervor and vitality...consummate projection," wrote the Strad, a classical music magazine based in the United Kingdom.
Prokofiev Triumphant! is Saturday, March 2 at 7:30 p.m. at the Washington Pavilion.
Tickets start at $10 and can be purchased by visiting sdsymphony.org or by the Washington Pavilion Box Office at 605.367.6000. $10 Student Rush tickets are available one hour prior to the concert for any student with a valid student ID. For more special offers on tickets, visit sdsymphony.org/offers