2018 Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions Announce Wisconsin District Winners
Twenty-two singers performed on November 3, 2018 at The Metropolitan Opera National Council Wisconsin District Auditions, competing for cash prizes, the chance to perform on the Metropolitan Opera stage and the opportunity to launch a major operatic career.
Four singers were selected by the judges to participate in the Regional Auditions in St. Paul, Minnesota on Sunday, February 24, 2019: Nicole Heinen, Nicholas Ward, Angela De Venuto and Emily Triebold. Each winner also receives $1,750. At least one singer from each Region will then be chosen to compete at the next phase of auditions in New York. The National Council Auditions Semi-Finals and Grand Finals Concert take place at the Metropolitan Opera House in March 2019.
Additional award winners:
- $250 People's Choice Award: Stephen Hobe
- $1,000 Bel Canto Chorus Award, including a performance with Bel Canto Chorus: Nicholas Huff
- $600 Encouragement Award: Nathaniel Hill
- $600 Encouragement Award: Anna Mosoriak
- $600 Encouragement Award: Katherine Koester
The Wisconsin District judges included:
- Timothy Noble, a baritone who has enjoyed an international vocal career spanning over fifty years and who is widely considered one of the great singing actors of his generation. Mr. Noble is in his 20th year at the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, where he has was elevated to a Distinguished Professor of Music in 2004.
- Melissa Wegner, a member of the Metropolitan Opera artistic staff since 2011 and current Executive Director of the National Council Auditions. Ms. Wegner auditions hundreds of young singers annually and is passionate about assisting them with their career development. She is also responsible for casting the Met's New Opera Commissions workshops.
- Keith A. Wolfe is currently the General Director of Opera Birmingham. Prior to this position, Mr. Wolfe served as Managing Director and Executive Director of Fort Worth Opera for fourteen seasons. While at Fort Worth Opera, he developed a number of expanded training programs for area young artists.
The 2018 Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions - Wisconsin District were hosted by Milwaukee's Florentine Opera Company and took place at the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center in Brookfield, Wis.
Click here for more information on the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions.