Denver Arts & Venues Partners With OMG BookFest To Bring Books To Children
Denver Arts & Venues is pleased to announce a partnership with OMG (Oh Middle Grade!) BookFest, bringing its second festival, OMG Colorado, May 17-19 to Denver.
OMG is a celebration of books aimed at the early to middle grade reader (ages 7-12), bringing popular and award-winning authors to underserved communities for an exciting interactive experience of games, activities, and reading. This year OMG is thrilled to partner with Tattered Cover Book Store and Denver Arts & Venues to help get its message and books to children across the region.
"We are proud and excited to have students enjoy a day of books, fun, and reading at Castro Elementary," noted Brooke Dilling, Community Program Specialist, Denver Arts & Venues. "Our agency is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and OMG BookFest supports these values."
Conceived by authors Sarah Mlynowski, Adele Griffin, Julia DeVillers, and Michael Buckley, and joined by Christina Soontornvat, OMG is a traveling circus of books. It moves from city to city offering kids a chance to meet new and favorite authors in an engaging, high-energy, and interactive environment.
On May 18, 16 authors will come together for OMG Colorado and visit with 1,000 students at Castro Elementary, a Title I School in Denver. Kids will experience a variety of breakout sessions, each led by a diverse group of authors and with a unique theme, such as magical creatures, detective stories, and superheroes. In addition, every child who attends will go home with an autographed book. The goal of the program is to foster a love of reading long after the day is over.
"Castro Elementary is an incredibly special school," said Christina Soontornvat, author and Board Member of OMG BookFest. "When you walk in the doors, right away you get the sense that this community values reading and learning. The school staff has done so much to foster a love of books in their kids. We are absolutely honored that they are hosting our festival this year!"
OMG BookFest will culminate with "The Author Circus," a public event that also marks the launch of the Colorado Children's Book Festival at Tattered Cover at 2526 East Colfax Avenue on May 19, from 1 to 3 pm. Readers will experience themed activities and a book signing with all of the OMG authors, as well as local favorite Newbery Medalist Avi and additional local authors. This event is free, but attendees must register here.
Participating authors in OMG Colorado include:
- David Bowles, recipient of the Pura Belpré Honor (The Smoking Mirror)
- Michael Buckley, New York Times bestselling author (The Sisters Grimm series, NERDS series)
- Julia DeVillers, whose book was adapted into a hit Disney movie (Read It and Weep)
- Angela Dominguez, recipient of the Pura Belpré Illustration Honor Award (Stella Diaz Has Something to Say)
- Stuart Gibbs, New York Times bestselling author (Spy School series, Moon Base Alpha series)
- Adele Griffin, a two-time National Book Award nominee (The Oodlethunks series)
- Dean Hale, New York Times bestselling author (Princess in Black series)
- Shannon Hale, Newbery Honor Award recipient and New York Times bestselling author (Real Friends)
- Varian Johnson, founder of The Brown Bookshelf (The Parker Inheritance)
- Erin Entrada Kelly, 2018 Newbery Medalist (Hello, Universe)
- Brandon Mull, #1 New York Times bestselling author (Fablehaven series)
- Sarah Mlynowski, New York Times bestselling author (Whatever After, Upside-Down Magic series)
- Lauren Myracle, New York Times bestselling author (Upside-Down Magic, Wishing Day series)
- Courtney Sheinmel, nationally acclaimed author (The Kindness Club series)
- Ronald Smith, Coretta Scott King Award winner (Black Panther: The Young Prince, Hoodoo)
- Christina Soontornvat, STEM educator and author (The Changelings)
"We are so excited about partnering with OMG BookFest as we launch our Colorado Children's Book Festival! We both have the same ultimate goal of getting kids to read in a fun, experience-based environment. Colorado is at the beginning of a literary renaissance, so the timing couldn't be better. We are honored that OMG chose Denver as their next stop to help us kick this off!" said Kristen Gilligan, new owner of Tattered Cover Book Store and school and community outreach enthusiast.
For more information on the OMG BookFest mission visit: https://omgbookfest.org
About Denver Arts & Venues
Denver Arts & Venues' mission is to amplify Denver's quality of life and economic vitality through premier public venues, arts and entertainment opportunities. Arts & Venues is the City and County of Denver agency responsible for operating some of the region's most renowned facilities, including Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre, the Denver Performing Arts Complex, Colorado Convention Center, Denver Coliseum and McNichols Civic Center Building. Arts & Venues also oversees the Denver Public Art Program, Create Denver, SCFD Tier III granting process, Arts Education Fund and other entertainment and cultural events such as the Five Points Jazz Festival, Urban Arts Fund, P.S. You Are Here and implementation of IMAGINE 2020: Denver's Cultural Plan. Denver Arts & Venues is committed to diversity, equity and inclusiveness in all our programs, initiatives and decision-making processes.
About OMG Colorado
OMG Colorado is able to carry out its mission in the Denver area and connect with so many children, families and educators thanks to the generous support of Abrams Kids, Bloomsbury Children's Books, Candlewick Press, Children's Dentistry of Cherry Creek, Colorado Academy, Denver Arts and Venues, Disney Publishing Worldwide, Go Play Denver, HarperCollins Children's Books, Hotel Teatro, Isabella Bird Community School, Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, Owl Crate Jr, Penguin Young Readers, Random House Children's Books
Scholars Unlimited, Scholastic Inc, Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, Sourcebooks and Tattered Cover Book Store. Special thanks to Tara Bardeen from Go Play Denver for being our boots on the ground and Kristen Gilligan at Tattered Cover Book Store.