10 on Tuesday with Molly LeCaptain
Molly LeCaptain took a moment away from belting 80's ballads all the while emoting to a twinkling, tangled ball of Christmas lights in Random Acts' STRANGEST THINGS! THE MUSICAL to sit down for 10 ON TUESDAYS. Here's what the talented Chicago actress had to say:
1) Show you first auditioned for (and did you get the part)? "The Little Red Hen," 2nd grade, Mrs. Killinger's class. It was based on my reading abilities and literally nothing else and, let's just say that for an 8 year old I was an advanced reader. I totally got the part.
2) Where are you originally from? Green Bay, Wisconsin. Yes, I am a Packer fan and yes, I do really love cheese.
3) Currently working on / recently closed? "Strangest Things! The Musical" with Random Acts, at the Greenhouse Theater Center - I play the Winona Ryder character.
4) When did you first know you wanted a career in theater? I'd always had the "theatre bug" as a kid, but I don't think I knew I wanted to pursue theatre professionally until high school when I realized you could go to college and study it.
5) What's your dream role production? Sheila in "Hair," Millie in "Thoroughly Modern Millie," Heidi in [title of show], Judas in "Jesus Christ Superstar," Diana in "Next to Normal" (give me a couple years to start showing my real age...)
6) Favorite post-performance haunt? Cunneen's (1424 W. Devon), a dive bar up in Rogers Park that my boyfriend and I frequent - it's our own personal "Cheers." It's a cash-only joint with orange string lights adorning the walls that you know they put up one year for Halloween and just never bothered to take down.
7) Living or dead, who would you drop everything to see perform? From a non-theatrical standpoint - The Backstreet Boys. Theatrically, I would die to see Sara Bareilles (left) in her run as Jenna in "Waitress."
8) What's your greatest vice/guilty pleasure? Greatest vice? Coffee and tacos (not at the same time). Guilty Pleasure? See question 7, part 1.
9) What are you currently listening to/watching/reading? Listening to: "Hello from the Magic Tavern" - an improvised, Chicago-based fantasy podcast (Eds: https://hellofromthemagictavern.com/); My eclectic Spotify Playlist called "Come at me, 2K17" which contains everything from "Dear Evan Hansen" to The Chainsmokers. Watching: I still keep up with "Grey's Anatomy" for no other reason than I've come this far, I can't give up now; I also just finished "When We Rise"; my go-to show is "Parks & Recreation" even though I've seen every episode at least 4 times...
10) The one song you don't ever want to hear someone perform at an audition: Whatever song I had prepared for that audition. Cue the nervous sweats.
10) Describe the Chicago theater community in three words: Supportive. Protective. Sexy.
Molly LeCaptain appears as Juice Byers in Random Acts' STRANGEST THINGS! THE MUSICAL through May 13 at the Greenhouse Theater Center, 2257 N. Lincoln. Tickets $20. Call 773.404.7336. www.randomactschicago.com