Kahane & Tiffany's THE AMBASSADOR, Philip Glass, Nonesuch Records and More Set for BAM's 2014 Next Wave Festival
Joseph V. Melillo, executive producer of the Brooklyn Academy of Music, today announced programming for the 2014 Next Wave Festival. The festival runs from September 9 through December 20 and comprises theater, music, dance, film, humanities, and visual art events in the institution's three venues: the BAM Howard Gilman Opera House, the BAM Harvey Theater, and the BAM Fisher.
BAM Executive Producer Joseph V. Melillo said, "The 2014 Next Wave Festival offers outstanding global artistry presented in a wide variety of forms. We are proud to feature seven world premiere productions this season and to include BAM commissions of new work by Gabriel Kahane, Vijay Iyer, the Andy Warhol Museum and Dean Wareham, Ivy Baldwin, Big Dance Theater, and a co-commission of Bryce Dessner with our partners Brooklyn Youth Chorus. We are also thrilled to celebrate 50th anniversaries with our colleagues at Nonesuch Records and with Meredith Monk."
BAM President Karen Brooks Hopkins said, "We are extremely grateful to Time Warner for its sponsorship of the 2014 Next Wave Festival. Time Warner has generously supported a wide variety of BAM's artistic programming to date and we appreciate and recognize its longstanding commitment to our mission. I am especially proud that this edition of the Next Wave is truly a salute to both longstanding iconic artists who are closely aligned with BAM as well as new discoveries from around the world who will be introduced to fabulous BAM audiences for the first time."
2014 Next Wave Festival subscriptions and single tickets to BAM Fisher presentations go on sale June 23 to the general public (June 16 to Friends of BAM). Single tickets for all other Next Wave engagements go on sale Aug 18 (Aug 11 for Friends of BAM). To purchase tickets visit BAM.org or contact BAM Ticket Services at 718.636.4100.
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) announces 2014 Next Wave Festival -- September 9 through December 20 -- featuring 30 theater, music, dance, and film productions plus 13 concert engagements honoring Nonesuch Records. Highlights below!
BAM 2014 Next Wave Festival:
- Embers, Samuel Beckett, Pan Pan Theatre, Gavin Quinn
- riverrun, TheEmergencyRoom, Galway International Arts Festival, Olwen Fouéré
- ABACUS, Early Morning Opera, Lars Jan
- Alan Smithee Directed This Play, Big Dance Theater, Annie-B Parson, Paul Lazar
- Not I, Footfalls, Rockaby, Samuel Beckett, The Royal Court Theatre and Mighty Mouth, Walter Asmus
- Brooklyn Bred 2, Martha Wilson, Clifford Owens, Dynasty Handbag, Pablo Helguera
- Angels in America, Tony Kushner, Toneelgroep Amsterdam, Ivo van Hove
- Salt of the Earth, PuppetCinema, Zvi Sahar
- Six Characters in Search of an Author, Luigi Pirandello; Théâtre de la Ville, Paris; Emmanuel Demarcy Mota
- The Object Lesson, Geoff Sobelle, David Neumann
- Basetrack, En Garde Arts, Edward Bilous
- Birds With Skymirrors, Lemi Ponifasio, MAU
- Howie the Rookie, Landmark Productions, Mark O'Rowe, presented in association with Irish Arts Center
- Shakespeare's Sonnets, Berliner Ensemble, Robert Wilson, Rufus Wainwright
- The Source, Ted Hearne, Mark Doten, Daniel Fish
- Wayfinders, Holcombe Waller
- The Ambassador, Gabriel Kahane, John Tiffany
- QUANTUM, Gilles Jobin, Julius von Bismarck
- Moment Marigold, Jodi Melnick
- Wild Grass, Beijing Dance Theater, Wang Yuanyuan
- L.A. Dance Project, Benjamin Millepied, Justin Peck, William Forsythe
- Kontakthof, Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch
- Sadeh21, Batsheva Dance Company, Ohad Naharin
- Oxbow, Ivy Baldwin Dance
- The Wanderer, Jessica Lang Dance
- Exposed: Songs for Unseen Warhol Films, The Andy Warhol Museum, Dean Wareham
- Black Mountain Songs, Brooklyn Youth Chorus, Bryce Dessner
- On Behalf of Nature, Meredith Monk & Vocal Ensemble
- The Etudes, Philip Glass
- VIJAY IYER: Music of Transformation, Vijay Iyer, Prashant Bhargava, International Contemporary Ensemble, Steven Schick
Nonesuch Records at BAM (previously announced):
Sep 9: Brad Mehldau
Sep 10: Brad Mehldau & Chris Thile
Sep 11: Dawn Upshaw and Gilbert Kalish
Sep 12 & 13: Alarm Will Sound
Sep 12 & 13: Youssou N'Dour
Sep 18: Rhiannon Giddens
Sep 19: Devendra Banhart, Stephin Merritt, and Iron and Wine
Sep 23-27: Landfall, Laurie Anderson, Kronos Quartet
Sep 24: Rokia Traoré, Toumani Diabaté, and Sidiki Diabaté
Sep 25 & 26: Caetano Veloso
Sep 27 & 28: Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters
The 2014 Next Wave Festival is dedicated to the late Hamish Maxwell--a corporate visionary at Philip Morris, a dedicated BAM trustee, a valued advisor, and a generous BAM supporter together with his wife Georgene.
Watch a promo for the festival below!
Photo Credit: Josh Goleman