5th Annual Anguilla Lit Fest is Presented, 5/19
THE VALLEY, ANGUILLA - Anguilla is set to host the fifth annual Anguilla Lit Fest: A Literary Jollification at the Paradise Cove Resort from May 19-22, 2016. This year's distinguished panel of authors includes:
- Kate White - award-winning author and former editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine, (So Pretty it Hurts The Sixes, Eyes on You)
- Christina Baker-Kline - award-winning, best-selling author, lecturer and philanthropist (Orphan Train, The Way Life Should Be, Sweet Water, Bird in Hand, Desire Lines)
- Valerie Wesley Wilson - world-renowned, best-selling author (Playing My Mother's Blues, Always True to You in My Fashion, Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do, When Death Comes Stealing)
- Alafair Burke - award-winning, best-selling author, professor (THE EX, Under Suspicion)
- Jason Reynolds - poet, author and motivational speaker (When I Was the Greatest, Boy in the Black Suit, All American Boys)
- Naomi Jackson - award-winning debut author from the island of Barbados (The Star Side of Bird Hill)
- Krista Bremer - award-winning author and associate publisher of The Sun magazine (A Tender Struggle)
- Colin Channer - celebrated award-winning author, professor of creative writing, and co-founder of the Calabash International Literary Festival in Jamaica (The Girl with the Golden Shoes, Iron Balloons, Waiting in Vain)
- Montague Kobbé - award-winning author (The Night of the Rambler, Tales of Bed Sheets and Departure Lounges, On the Way Back)
- Yona Deshommes - senior publicity manager of Atria Books/Simon & Schuster (her current and upcoming projects include Citizens Creek by Lalita Tademy, Misadventures of an Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae, Infinite Words by Zane, I Am Charlie Wilson by Charlie Wilson)
- Fabian Adekunle Badejo - award-winning author, philanthropist, media host, social activist (Claude - A Portrait of Power, Salted Tongues - Modern Literature in St. Martin, St. Martin Massive! A Snapshot on Popular Artists)
The Pride of Anguilla writers and poets include:
- Don Mitchell - author, lecturer, Anguilla historian
- Timothy Hodge - debut author, playwright
- Alexis Gumbs - author, poet
- Patricia Adams - Department of Youth and Culture endorsed author
- Cassilda Thomas Carty - Department of Youth and Culture endorsed author
- Fiona Wilkerson - debut poet
- Chris Richardson - debut author
This year's event will also celebrate the winners of the 2016 Malliouhana Poetry Competition, under the theme Revolution Tomorrow: Rumblings, Perceptions, Aspirations; the performance poets of The Anguilla Under Ground, a satellite event of the Anguilla Lit Fest; as well as presentations and book launches of Anguillian authors, playwrights and poets as part of a literary arts initiative of the island's Department of Youth and Culture. A selection of books of the featured guest authors, poets and publishers will be available for purchase on site from The Anguilla Lit Fest Book Table, coordinated by the Anguilla Library Service.
The Anguilla Lit Fest: A Literary Jollification registration fee of US$150.00 includes a welcome cocktail party, breakfast and lunch presentations, special sessions with the authors and fun-filled evening soirees. The program also includes a special session for children and young writers on the afternoon of Saturday, May 21st. As in previous years, arrangements are being made for a cross-section of students from the island's primary and secondary schools to interact with the visiting authors as specially invited guests.
"The Government of Anguilla is pleased to endorse this important event on our island's calendar," says Hon. Cardigan Connor, Parliamentary Secretary with responsibility for Tourism and Sports. "We recognize the value of promoting the development of the literary arts for our people, and especially our young people, who need to be encouraged to channel their youthful energies in more creative ways. We are committed to being a part of an event that appeals not only to our residents but also to visitors in search of authentic island experiences, while at the same time enabling the preservation, celebration and enhancement of our literary heritage as a people."
Special vacation packages for the event are being offered by a number of Anguilla's leading properties, including the host hotel, Paradise Cove Resort and sponsor hotel, CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa. Paradise Cove packages start from $900 for 2 persons for 4 nights accommodations, and include a welcome fruit or rum punch, full breakfast and all applicable service charges and taxes. Rates are valid for dates May 17 - 24, 2016. The CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa is offering a special nightly room rate of $325 including continental breakfast and free WIFI, plus 20% Tax/Service Charge and $3 per adult per night marketing levy.
For more information on the Anguilla Lit Fest: A Literary Jollification or to register for this year's event, go to www.anguillalitfest.com or www.paradisecoveanguilla.com. You may also engage with the Lit Fest community on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/anguillalitfest) and Twitter.