WAKE UP with BWW 4/30/2015 - Doyle Returns to 'JASPER' in Seattle and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: JASPER IN DEADLAND starts in Seattle, Menzel chats with Corden and more!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- Matt Doyle stars in JASPER IN DEADLAND, beginning tonight in Seattle!
- The new musical ONE FOR MY BABY plays in concert at 54 Below tonight.
- And Idina Menzel visits 'JAMES CORDEN' tonight, so be sure to set your DVR!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- The new national tour of THE SOUND OF MUSIC will launch this fall in Los Angeles!
- We got a first look (right) at Darren Criss in HEDWIG on Broadway!
- STOMP is moving uptown after 21 years at the Orpheum...
- In the wake of 12 Tony nominations, FUN HOME broke the Circle in the Square's house record on Tuesday, and GYPSY is smashing records in the West End!
- Helen Mirren, Zachary Quinto and more will pay tribute to Bob Crowley at NYTW's 2015 gala...
- MOTOWN just celebrated one year on the road!
- Across the pond, LA SOIRÉE is returning to London this autumn, and the new multi-media show DUSTY has found its cast.
- Plus, stage vets Norbert Leo Butz and Josh Radnor are set to star in the new PBS drama MERCY STREET!
Broadway Weather Forecast: High of 61 degrees and cloudy. Hang in there, it's almost Friday!
And a Happy Birthday shout-out to Craig Lucas, who hits 64 today!
Lucas, a playwright, theatre director, musical actor, film director and screenwriter, wrote the Tony-nominated book for An American in Paris, currently on Broadway. He also wrote the book for Broadway's The Light in the Piazza and off-Broadway's Marry Me a Little. His plays Prelude to a Kiss and Reckless have also graced the Great White Way; both have also been adapted for the big screen. Among his other plays are Stranger, God's Heart, Missing Persons, Small Tragedy, The Singing Forest, 3 Postcards, The Dying Gaul, Blue Window, Orpheus in Love, Prayer for My Enemy, The Lying Lesson and more. As an actor, Lucas trod the boards in Sweeney Todd, On the Twentieth Century, Rex and Shenandoah. He also directed his plays Ode to Joy and This Thing of Darkness off-Broadway, as well Play Yourself and Saved or Destroyed.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!