STAGE TUBE: COME FLY AWAY National Tour Visits Detroit!
Direct from the original Broadway cast of COME FLY AWAY and the Las Vegas production of Sinatra Dance With Me are principal dancers Matthew Stockwell Dibble, Cody Green, Laurie Kanyok, Marielys Molina, John Selya and Ron Todorowski- also starring in the tour as principals are Ashley Blair Fitzgerald, Martin Harvey, Ramona Kelley and Christopher Vo.
The production is currently playing Fisher Theatre in Detroit where the cast stopped by for a television performance. Click below to check it out!
Conceived, choreographed, and directed by Tony Award-winner Twyla Tharp (Movin' Out) and by special arrangement with the Frank Sinatra Family and Frank Sinatra Enterprises, COME FLY AWAY follows four couples as they fall in and out of love during one song and dance filled evening at a crowded nightclub. Blending the legendary vocals of Frank Sinatra with a live on-stage big band and 14 of the world's finest dancers, COME FLY AWAY weaves an unparalleled hit parade of classics, including "Fly Me To The Moon," "My Way," and "That's Life," into a soaring musical fantasy of romance and seduction.
The show's score combines classic and newly discovered vocal performances from the Sinatra archives, along with Sinatra's signature arrangements by Nelson Riddle, Billy May and Quincy Jones, among others, and brand new charts, for this fresh innovative musical.
COME FLY AWAY, which premiered at the ALLIANCE THEATRE in Atlanta, GA in September 2009 and opened on Broadway in March 2010, is the next and most elaborate chapter in one of the most fruitful collaborations in contemporary dance. Twyla Tharp's creative relationship with the music of Frank Sinatra began in 1976 with the premiere of Once More Frank, a duet created for the American Ballet Theatre, performed by Ms. Tharp and Mikhail Baryshnikov. The collaboration continued with Nine Sinatra Songs, Ms. Tharp's acclaimed piece for fourteen dancers, which had its world premiere with Twyla Tharp Dance in 1982, and was followed by Sinatra Suite, a duet featuring Mr. Baryshnikov and Elaine Kudo, which had its world premiere in 1984 with American Ballet Theatre at the Kennedy Center. Mr. Sinatra requested that Sinatra Suite be performed when he received his Kennedy Center Honors Award, citing it as one of the purest expressions of his body of work.
COME FLY AWAY features scenic design by James Youmans, costume design by Katherine Roth, lighting design by Donald Holder, and sound design by Peter McBoyle. Additional arrangements and orchestrations and music supervision are by Dave Pierce.
The schedule for the North American tour of COME FLY AWAY is:
- Sep 13 - 25, 2011, Fisher Theatre, Detroit, MI
- Sep 27 - Oct 2, 2011, Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC
- Oct 4 - 9, 2011, Devos Hall, Grand Rapids, MI
- Oct 11 - 16, 2011, Ordway, St Paul, MN
- Oct 25 - Nov 6, 2011, Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
- Nov 8 - 13, 2011, Civic Theatre, San Diego, CA
- Nov 17 - 20, 2011, INB Performing Arts Center, Spokane, WA
- Jan 10 - 22, 2012, Bank of America Theatre, Chicago, IL
- Jan 31 - Feb 5, 2012, Segerstrom Center for the Arts, Costa Mesa, CA
- Feb 13, 2012, Arkansas Best Performing Arts Center, Ft Smith, AR
- Feb 16 - 19, 2012, Hershey Theater, Hershey, PA
- Feb 24 - 26, 2012, Lyric Opera House, Baltimore, MD
- Mar 2 - 4, 2012, Providence Performing Arts Center, Providence, RI
- Mar 6, 2012, Creative Arts Center, Morgantown, WVA
- Mar 9 - 11, 2012, Opera House, Lexington, KY
- Mar 13 - 18, 2012, Kravis Center, West Palm Beach, FL
- Mar 20 - 25, 2012, Adrienne Arscht Center for the Performing Arts, Miami, FL
- Mar 27 - Apr 1, 2012, David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts, Tampa, FL
- April 3, 2012, Montgomery Performing Arts Centre, Montgomery, AL
- Apr 5 - 7, 2012, Philharmonic Center for the Arts, Naples, FL
- Apr 10 -15, 2012, Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, Houston, TX
- Apr 18 - 29, 2012, The Kennedy Center, Washington, DC
- May 1 - 6, 2012, Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Charlotte, NC
- May 8 - 20, 2012, Playhouse Square, Cleveland, OH
- May 29 - Jun 3, 2012, The Bushnell, Hartford, CT
For additional show and ticketing information, visit www.comeflyaway.com.