Pen Parentis to Host Governor's Island Popup House of Lit Party This July
Celebrating storytelling in all its various forms, from poetry to puppetry; novels to comics, Pen Parentis presents an entire day of story-based fun for all ages:
- Meet Comic Book Artists In Residence
- Hear amazing readings; buy a book if the mood strikes you
- Meet the editor in chief of Mutha Magazine and the founder of Pen Parentis - and ask them anything!
- Hear Pen Parentis Writing Fellows describe how it changed their lives to win this parents-only writing fellowship
- Open Mic from 4pm - 5pm! Sign up during the day!
- ALL DAY - (outside) Participate in the Living Lexicon
- ALL DAY (inside): Writing on the Wall: Mutha Secrets
- ALL DAY (inside and outside) Interactive story-based activities rain or shine!
It all takes place on July 8, 2017 at House 2B in Nolan Park, GOVERNOR'S ISLAND, 10am to 5pm (drop in or stay all day!).
NO ADMISSIONS CHARGE - $2 Ferries depart from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Show IDNYC for a free ride. Morning ferries (to 11am) also free. Click here for ferry info.
As part of the Empire State of the Book weekend festival, join Pen Parentis and Mutha Magazine for a whole day of interactive, literary-themed activities great for all ages on Governor's Island. Bring the kids if you have them. Or not. Your call. This is about YOU and your relationship to stories. Drop in or stay all day. No admission fees.
From 10am - 2:30 pm the sessions are appropriate for all ages, with special programming for the very young
From 2:30 - 5pm sessions are PG+ content (kids are allowed, but note that programming is adult-oriented)
11am - 1pm Pen Parentis Fellows Jess DeCourcy Hinds, Frank Haberle, and Orli Van Mourik
11am -1pm Spellbound Theatre: drop-in storytelling puppetry workshop (for the very young and their parents)
1pm - 2:30pm Ginny Wiehardt runs a poetry workshop - drop ins welcome (kids too!)
2:30 - 4pm Live-drawing by Lauren Weinstein, creator of the comics series Normel Person (The Village Voice)
Pen Parentis is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides resources to writers to help them stay on creative track after they start a family. Featured artists at this event all happen to all parents, in addition to being creative geniuses.