4PM Update: Christopher Tierney's Condition Still Serious

By: Dec. 22, 2010
Get Show Info Info

BroadwayWorld has confirmed with hospital sources that Christopher Tierney, the Spiderman stuntman who fell nearly 30 feet from a raised platform during the December 20th performance, still remains in serious condition at New York's Bellevue Hospital. He is being watched regularly and is reportedly in good spirits.  

There is no word on how long he must remain at Bellevue. He is able to talk and move slightly and, as CBS reported last night, he recorded a video message which was then played for the rest of the cast. Unconfirmed reports have said that Tierney underwent successful surgery earlier this afternoon for "3 broken vertebrate / his sacrum."

Late last evening, Director Julie Taymor released the following statement: "An accident like this is obviously heartbreaking for our entire team and, of course, to me personally. I am so thankful that Chris is going to be alright and is in great spirits. Nothing is more important than the safety of our Spider-Man family and we'll continue to do everything in our power to protect the cast and crew."

An official statement was earlier issued from the production which says that "OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), Actors Equity and the New York State Department of Labor have met with the Spider-Man company today to discuss additional safety protocols. It was agreed that these measures would be enacted immediately. Tomorrow's matinee has been postponed and will be rescheduled. Tomorrow evening's, and all subsequent performances will proceed as scheduled."

Twitter was flooded last night shortly after 10:40 PM with messages from audience members at SPIDER-MAN, with word that an actor fell during the middle of Act 2 when a cable snapped. The show was first put on hold, and then cancelled as ambulances arrived on the scene. This morning, the actor has been identified as aerialist Christopher Tierney, who is reported to be in serious, but stable condition. The actor has suffered several broken ribs and internal bleeding after his nearly 30-foot free fall on the SPIDEY set last night. Fortunately, Tierney landed such that he avoided any crippling neck or spinal injury. He is still being held at the hospital in serious, but stable condition.