Miss Saigon Reviews

ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/21/14 at 04:43pm
It's opening night. The helicopter has landed and taken off. And the reviews should start hitting the internets. Post 'em when you got 'em.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/21/14 at 05:38pm
Gay Times is a rave.
Gay Times
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/21/14 at 07:03pm
What's on Stage is "meh - Puccini was better" with rave for Ms. Noblezada and not nice things to say about Mr. Brammer. 3 stars.

What's On Stage
Updated On: 5/21/14 at 07:03 PM
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/21/14 at 07:07pm
Telegraph is positive - 4 stars - with this pull quote:
"But the trick of the show, and of this superbly slick, powerfully acted and splendidly sung revival, is that while you are watching it, it often feels like the greatest musical you have ever seen. "
and not too positive about Mr. Brammer.
Telegraph
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/21/14 at 07:59pm
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 03:20am
Daily Mail is positive based on four stars. But actual review seems mixed.
Quentin Letts in Daily Mail
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 04:37am
Wow the critics seem to have a kind of hidden agenda here and begrudgingly gove it a reasonable review.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 04:57am
Evening Standard - 4 Stars (and another knock against poor Mr. Brammer for his acting)
Evening Standard
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 05:06am
Why 'poor Mr Brammer'?

Having seen him in other things it sounds about right, in fact im surprised theres been so much praise for his voice. It is also inline with what a lot of people are saying who have seen it,

I dont think the critics have a hidden agenda, its not a revolutionary revival, its a tweeked version of whats gone before, plus the show itself didnt get raves first time around so not reason to think anything would change
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 07:06am
The Times - Mixed - 3 Stars
part of The Times
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 08:41am
Several of the shows compere Miss Saigon unfavourable with Les Miserbles, the exact show those critics panned nearly 30 Yeats ago, go figure.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 09:27am
Firstly it's a myth that Les Mis got "panned". Most of the reviewers who disliked the original production have moved on or, indeed, have died since. And of course, generally people's tastes are actually allowed to change in the real world. Look at the change in reception for 'Chicago' over the years.

What exactly would their hidden agenda be? Is it, perhaps, to secretly thwart Phantom of London's pronouncements on quality theatre?

Even when 'Miss Saigon' opened originally, there was a general feeling in reviews and commentary that it wasn't quite as good as 'Les Mis'. Overall, that seems to be the case again- it's OK as a big, pulpy, soapy melodrama, but it sure ain't a "legendary" work of art.

ggersten
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 10:18am
I think The Telegraph got it right - you can nitpick, you can point to weaknesses, to treacle, to melodrama - but, audiences (in general) love the show, are swept away by it and do think - at that moment - that it is the greatest show they have ever seen. It is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. And this production connected with me - and others, whatever its weaknesses.
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 10:41am
I was there last night. It was a fabulous evening walking the red carpet with such distinguished actors which for me, in training to be in theatre was just a true honor. yes it was lovely to meet them and to get excited but they are still people I aspire to be like. the feeling in the audience was electric. my friend and I were sat in Row K of the Grande Circle and had a brilliant view (a better view than my friends had who were sat in the dress circle) The Cast are great and I understand some critics can and will nitpick at those aspects of a highly anticipated revival but at the end of the day they all gave their best performance. nothing about this show is wrong. the set, the cast, lighting, sound, orchestra is all fabulous. It is no Les Miserables but in my opinion of the 5 shows the Alain and Claude-Michael have written, I love them all as they all offer a different slice of history with beautiful musical and lyrics. OK there shows all have a similar aspect that they re-use the tunes but having those motifs are beautiful as those are the motifs and melodies you go out humming. everyone involved in last night opening night should be proud, even little tam :)
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 01:31pm
Mixed reviews for this show... Raves for I Can't Sing! Critics wonder why the public, and actually let's be frank the vast majority of public, really have lost all interest in critics opinions.

They really are a waste of time.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 02:13pm
Except the people (whose opinions I value) I have spoken to who saw I Can't Sing say it was actually really quite good- wacky and in the wrong venue but a good show- whereas their feeling about this re-heating of the old Saigon mush is pretty much "meh, yeah ok". So in that respect the critics reflect industry opinion. Of course, how that relates to the reaction of the dear public at large is another matter.

I'm beginning to sense a return to that demand for the big "event" show- the one with the helicopter, the one with the chandelier- of the 80s. Brett Easton Ellis spoofed it in 'American Psycho' but I can sniff in the wind that attitude of "we had to pay premium just to get tickets otherwise we'd wait 2 months".

Time will tell. For me, Variety really nails it:

http://variety.com/2014/legit/reviews/west-end-review-miss-saigon-1201189069/

Updated On: 5/22/14 at 02:13 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 05:51pm
Anything Goes gets it completely right, I don't remember one critic saying I Can't Sing was in the wrong theatre.
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/22/14 at 07:30pm
Weren't they reviewing the show rather than the venue?
jsg03jd
Broadway Star
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/23/14 at 04:48am
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the analog of The New York Times in London?

Is there a theatrical review in London that carries the most weight with the audience and the producers, actors, behind-the-scenes crew of any show like The New York Times has on Broadway shows?
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/23/14 at 09:17am
In London there isn't one dominant voice- I suppose The Times could be considered significant, but not in the same way as the NYT. Michael Billington, Michael Coveney, Quentin Letts and Charles Spencer are all highly regarded by certain audiences.

jaqs
Broadway Star
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/23/14 at 12:41pm
I think the times having the paywall makes it less significant. I doubt any of the critics names are known outside the main theatre fans.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Miss Saigon Reviews
Posted: 5/23/14 at 12:52pm
I agree.

In New York after opening, they wait for the review to come out.

Message Board

BWW BLOGS