Worst Pies in Manchester!

Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Posted: 5/7/13 at 06:57am
In a co-production with the West Yorkshire Playhouse the Royal Echange Theatre in Manchester are doing Sweeney Todd in November ths year.

Love the show and the theatre, which is in the round for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of visiting. Been dying to see a Musical in that space for years, hopefully this is the beginning Musicals being programmed on a regular basis.
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/7/13 at 08:00am
Thanks for this! Probably wouldn't have known about it otherwise. Here is the listing on the Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester website for others who are interested, as well as the listing on the West Yorkshire Playhouse site:

http://www.royalexchange.co.uk/event.aspx?id=78

http://www.wyp.org.uk/what's-on/2013/sweeney-todd-the-demon-barber-of-fleet-street/

It seems a bit soon after the London revival but I'm always willing to see another production of SWEENEY as I love it so much!

Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ****
Updated On: 8/31/13 at 08:00 AM
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Posted: 5/7/13 at 08:21am
To be honest there isn't a bad seat in the house. The furthest you can be away from the stage in any seat is something like 9m. I tend to prefer the second gallery, not least because of how cheap it is, but it also kind of negates the general in the round issue of sometimes having actors facing away from you and it's not so high that you are staring at the tops of heads.

I'm gonna treat myself for Sweeney though and watch it twice, once in the gallery and once at stage level.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/7/13 at 08:41am
Hmmmmm let down, will be more excited when the Exchange starts thinking outside the box.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
zyx987
Stand-by
Posted: 5/7/13 at 10:21am
To be fair I think the Exchange can't afford to take too many risks. I think we all know what the demographic of the audience is there, and they took a risk with putting a new play in the main house (Cannibals) and it looked like they barely sold a ticket.
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Posted: 5/7/13 at 11:28am
They definitely are far too keen on dusting off the hoary old classics than taking risks in the main house, with perhaps one new or more modern play per season, far too often something by Simon Stephens unfortunately!

But as Zyx stated they know their audience profile and can't afford to take too many risks when programming. Having said that they do seem to be trying harder in the last couple of years and hopefully with a new creative director since last year they will continue to (slowly) push forward.

Sondheim is a great step in the right direction.
zyx987
Stand-by
Posted: 6/3/13 at 10:01am
Main roles have been cast,

http://www.royalexchangecasting.co.uk/sweeneytodd.pdf

Looks like a very good cast.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/3/13 at 10:30am
Will be worth the trek to Leeds just to hear Fra Fee singing Johanna!

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****
Updated On: 6/7/13 at 10:30 AM
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/3/13 at 01:21pm
He's sure to be better than Luke Brady!
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain ****
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/4/13 at 06:46pm
Now have my ticket booked for this at West Yorkshire Playhouse on September 30! Can't wait!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 8/31/13 at 12:54pm
Finally wanting to book for this, having put it off until now. What is the seating like in the Quarry Theatre at the West Yorkshire Playhouse? Where are the best places to sit?
Theatre 2014: Putting It Together (St. James Theatre) ***** Candide (Menier Chocolate Factory) ***** Les Miserables *** Gounod: Faust (ROH) **** Urinetown (St. James Theatre) ***** Ades: Powder Her Face (ENO at Ambika P3) **** Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ****
zyx987
Stand-by
Posted: 8/31/13 at 02:45pm
I usually sit about 5 rows back in the middle section. The rake is very steep so the seats further back can feel a bit distant.
karloskar2
Chorus Member
Posted: 8/31/13 at 03:44pm
David Birrell was a fantastic Sweeney at Dundee a few years ago. His rage was totally believable, but he needed a better mrs lovett. hopefully that will be the case here.
tomatlcm
Chorus Member
Posted: 9/30/13 at 07:37pm
Just got back from Sweeney tonight and I'm still getting my breath back so my thoughts might be a little cluttered! The show is in pretty terrific shape for a preview with only a few minor muck ups that only Sweeney fans would notice, not that they mattered in the slightest. The overall production is outstanding with moments of absolute brilliance.
The shows setting works absolute wonders for the piece and the setting of "A little priest" had my jaw on the floor, easily worth the ticket price for that number alone!!! The cast was absolutely incredible with David Birrell giving a performance that for me, completely eclipsed Michael Ball's while Gillian Bevan gives a equally compelling Lovett.
I can't really recommend the show enough, there's a couple of rough patches that will undoubtedly be sharpened up during further performances but when this Sweeney is at it's strongest it's incredible!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 10/1/13 at 04:27am
Saw this last night & it was seriously fantastic! David Birrell was an awesome Sweeney & Gillian Bevan gave Imelda a serious run for her money. Ben Stott was sheer perfection as Tobias, Michael Peavoy was a brilliant Anthony (his Johanna was just plain gorgeous) & Niamh was a revelation as Johanna. In fact there was not a weak link in the cast - the best all round cast I think I've ever seen (& I've seen the OBC, OWEC, the National Theatre cast, John Doyle's staging in the West End & on Broadway plus last year's West End revival).

The whole show looked stunning - amazing set & James Brining's direction & Nick Winston's choreography gave the show a new & brilliant edge.
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Posted: 10/19/13 at 06:20am
Is the final matinee at the West Yorkshire Playhouse a "muck-up", or isn't this a tradition in regional theatres?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/5/13 at 06:05pm
It works incredibly well in the round in Manchester at the Exchange, was there tonight reviewing for Whats on Stage. Stunning cast, great direction, beautiful lighting. However moving the show to the 70s/80s seemed silly considering the visual worked against the text. Still though it was a great production.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 119 Posts
Great Britain 8 Posts

BWW BLOGS