Nigel Harman To Direct UK Tour Of SHREK!
Producers of SHREK THE MUSICAL today announced that the larger-than-life production will be heading to a swamp near you on its first ever tour of UK and Ireland, from July 2014. Coming direct from London, where it was seen live on stage by nearly a million people, the (UK and Ireland) tour of the Drury Lane production of SHREK THE MUSICAL will be directed by Nigel Harman who starred as Lord Farquaad in the west end production, winning him the 2012 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical.
SHREK THE MUSICAL will open at the Grand Theatre in Leeds on Wednesday 23rd July followed by dates in Bristol, Nottingham, Belfast, Dublin, Oxford, Manchester, Aberdeen, Canterbury, Newcastle, Glasgow and Sheffield with further venues still to be announced.
SHREK THE MUSICAL, originally directed (in the West End) by Jason Moore and Rob Ashford, is based on the story and characters from William Steig's book Shrek! and the Oscar-winning Dreamworks Animations feature film.
Bill Damaschke, Chief Creative Officer of DreamWorks, says:
We are thrilled that Shrek and his fairy-tale friends will be heading out on tour across the UK and Ireland and delighted that our very own Nigel Harman will be directing SHREK THE MUSICAL on the road. It has been such a joy to bring this loved story to life and we can't wait for families up and down the country to experience their beloved swamp-dwelling ogre, Princess Fiona, Donkey and all their pals live on stage, as so many have on Broadway and in the west end.
Director of SHREK THE MUSICALUK and Ireland Tour Nigel Harman says:
I am delighted to be returning to Shrek as its director. This show is very special to me with its dizzying blend of great characters, a hilarious script and sublime music. This production is visually stunning, and the story has the magic ingredient of moving at great pace while still being surprisingly intimate. In short, there was no way I was going to say no to the challenge of realising the production for the UK and Ireland. I really can't wait to take this show on the road!
SHREK THE MUSICAL opened on Broadway in 2008 before touring to nearly 150 cities in the USA and Canada. Productions of SHREK THE MUSICAL have played in Spain, Poland, France, Malaysia, China, Brazil, Italy, Denmark, The Netherlands, Estonia, Israel and Turkey. The UK and Ireland tour will be presented by DreamWorks Theatricals, Neal Street Productions, Playful Productions, Lee Menzies, Ron Kastner, Robert G Bartner, Saracen Films, Mark Cartwright, Gavin Kalin, Glass Half Full Productions/Just For Laughs Theatricals.
Casting information will be announced in due course.
Wednesday 23 July 2014 - Sunday 17 August 2014
LEEDS GRAND THEATRE
0844 848 2700
Tuesday 19 August 2014 - Sunday 7 September 2014
0844 871 3012
Wednesday 10 September 2014 - Sunday 28 September 2014
NOTTINGHAM THEATRE ROYAL
0115 989 5555
Wednesday 8 October 2014 - Sunday 19 October 2014
BELFAST GRAND OPERA HOUSE
Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Sunday 9 November 2014
BORD GÁIS ENERGY THEATRE, DUBLIN
00 353 (0) 818 719 377
- DOWNTON ABBEY's Samantha Bond Joins DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS at the Savoy
- Jenny Rainsford and Gerald Kyd to Star in Park Theatre's LITTLE BLACK BOOK, Dec 17-Jan 19
- Saskia Reeves and Danny Webb to Star in THE MISTRESS CONTRACT Downstairs at the Royal Court, Beg. Jan 30
- Ray Davies' FUNNY AFTERNOON Musical to Debut at Hampstead Theatre, April-May 2014
- Jemma Redgrave to Star in DONKEYS' YEARS at the Rose Theatre, Kingston, from Feb 6
- Flushing Town Hall to Usher in 35th Year with David Hazeltine Trio, Young Joo Song Quartet and More
- Theater Resources Unlimited Sets 12/18 Panel: THE BUMPY ROAD TO NEW YORK
- Cicely Tyson to Be Honored with Power Legacy Award on 2/26
- African Burial Ground National Monument to Host Kwanzaa Celebration, 12/26-28
- The Palladium Celebrates 15th Anniversary in 2014!