Page:

Just another sign of the times - Blood Brothers closing.

ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
October 27th. Don't like the show but shocked it's closing.
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow shocked, and it's not moving elsewhere?
philitalia Profile Photophilitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Loved it - though I haven't seen it in recent years.
Fantastic run, so I'm not sad about it. It'll live on.
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Double post

Updated On: 8/4/12 at 04:34 PM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Saw Blood Brothers way back in 1988, knowing nothing about it at all before seeing it, and it blew me away. Saw it again last year on tour and it still blew me away. One of the strongest and most powerful Books of any musical.

It's had a far greater run than anyone could have imagined when it opened so can't really complain about it finally closing - but it's a shame it couldn't have hung on to celebrate its 25th anniversary. Also, the closing announcement seems to have come out of the blue! Is it a cue for people to start singing, "Tell me it's not true...."? lol
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy***** Oliver! (Watermill)**** Kinky Boots**** Grand Hotel***** Ceili O'Connor: The Understudy - Waiting In The Wings*****
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A 25th anniversary concert with a symphonic orchestra would have been wonderful.
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Not shocked at all, actually. It's had a very healthy and successful run, and everyone who would have wanted to see it, would have seen it by now. It's also a very "local" production ie has no draw to big touristy crowds and non-English speakers.

What's next in the theatre?
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Not really accurate about not attracting tourists - I had a flat in Phoenix House above the theatre and often was heading home when the theatre was going in or coming out and there were lots of bus parties of non Brits.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
On shocks value between 1 and 10, this would be easily a 11, shocked doesn't seem to describe how I am feeling. One of the best musicals ever written, I MUST see this now before it closes.

I think it was Jonwo who said on here when 'Chicago' said on here on the Chicago closing thread, that Chicago was the first big show 'long runner to close since Buddy, that took me a while to peculate that gen of info, but correct, now another long runner closing within a month of the Chicago announcement.

Hope these announcements aren't like buses.

Holy Shit: Both Blood Brothers and Chicago closing, Charing Cross Road won't look the same.

turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If anyone wants to see it one last time it is on lastminute.com for £10 for best available (but you don't find out what that is until you pick up the tickets!) plus fees (1 ticket works out £14.25). I have booked for the supposed last night, even if it does open up elsewhere it will be nice to see it again.
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Kenwright office have supposedly said that there will be no transfer. It's weird that exactly ten years ago, three long runners (Cats, Starlight and Buddy) all closed and now we have two long runners closing this year. What's next: The Lion King? Les Misérables? The Phantom of the Opera? They say these things move in threes!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think Phantom, Les Mis and The Lion King are safe for now, Mamma Mia! despite moving to the Novello in September will be around for a few more years. The long runners I'm unsure are Billy Elliot and We Will Rock You especially Billy which has been discounting quite a bit this year and it's not a cheap show to run.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Am I right in saying this current production in London is a revival? Apparently it opened officially then closed briefly and then opened again in a new production which is also the one that tours regularly.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, the original production (starring Barbara Dickson) was something of a flop. Later they launched a tour production (starring Kiki Dee), which went into the West End at the end of the tour ostensibly for a limited run and kept running until now! (Though it started at the Albery - whixh is now the Noel Coward - and transferred a few years later to the Phoenix.)
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy***** Oliver! (Watermill)**** Kinky Boots**** Grand Hotel***** Ceili O'Connor: The Understudy - Waiting In The Wings*****
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just booked for the supposed final night.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
It's will leave The Pheonix on this date for sure, but last I heard a transfer was on the table, perhaps they have decided just not to bother...

Perhaps Memphis will come in earlier now at this theatre...

Shrek will announce closure in the next month if rumours are true and I the only other surpise-ish show to say it will close would be Billy Elliot, sales have dived. Rock of Ages could be facing chop soon
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow was not expecting this. I got to see the show for the first time last Summer and was shocked at how moved I was. Though I knew how the show ended, it really knocked be back.
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not a huge fan of the show, i agree the book is strong but the music is dire and repetitive. They have had a great run though so im sure they are all very happy
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the production office has run out of steam for Billy Elliot. The marketing has not been very effective lately.

I do think, if possible, everyone should wait until after the Olympics before making decisions. This is such an untypical and quite demoralizing time for theatres. Hopefully normal service will be restored in a couple of weeks.
AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The show has had an excellent run! I saw it on tour about six years ago and while I found it great as a play (and extremely funny in places) I did not see why it was a musical. The songs are extremely bland (including "Tell Me Its Not True") and they are not particularly integral to the fabric of the show as a whole. Indeed, if they were all taken out they would not be missed, as everything is inherent in the piece as just a straight play. Rather than a musical, it is more of a play with music. Also, I find the show's subject matter to be VERY dated and therefore "Blood Brothers" is very much a piece of its period.

mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think I can agree that Blood Brothers is "dated". The class system is alive and well, alas.

I saw the show about fifteen years ago in Toronto, a touring production starring David Cassidy who shocked me with his perfect English accent! I knew nothing about it going in and was utterly blown away by it - it was SO powerful.

Admittedly the score isn't much but experiencing it live, in a theatre... wow!
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with Mallardo. The issues that are dealt with in Blood Brothers are as relevant now as they were when it first appeared.

Is it definitely closing? Last I heard it was likely to switch from the Phoenix to the Playhouse?

Updated On: 8/5/12 at 01:04 PM
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Blood Brothers is more relevant today than it was 10 years ago. The design of the production may not be very lush, but the story/book is still one of the strongest in the WestEnd - well, IMO
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Great point the show could work on its own merits as a play, I never thought about it and yes it could.

I love to find out the differents between the original and the revival (this production)?
THEATRE FAN
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
The subject matter is as much for today as it was when it was written in the same way that Lez Miz is about hope, dream, freedom, aspiration - these musicals have timeless themes which is why they still work.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Kenwright will stage a production of The Corsican Brothers in honour of Blood Brothers :)
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to: