Actors and Artists Unite to End Alzheimer's Expands Coast-to-Coast, Now Recognized as National Team
From four teams in 2011, Actors and Artists Unite to End Alzheimer's ("Actors and Artists Unite") has grown to eighteen teams (including three in New York City) that will participate in the official 2013 Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer's.
The walks, which will take place in more than 600 communities across the country beginning in September, are the nation's largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer's care, support and research.
Actress and Actors' Equity Association member Nancy Daly serves as the national captain and team coordinator. Daly started the original teams in honor of her own mom who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two days before Thanksgiving in 2009. Daly now oversees "Actors and Artists Unite" teams in 15 cities and operate under the manifesto: "When actors and artists unite, the world can shift." Daly welcomes fellow guild and union members and colleagues along with friends and families to join the effort.
Upcoming *team walks include:
· San Francisco-Saturday, September 21
· Seattle-Saturday, September 21
· Thousand Oaks, CA - Saturday, September 21
· Jefferson City, MO - Sunday, September 22
· Hartford, CT - Sunday, September 22
· Boston-Sunday, September 29
· Chicago-Sunday, September 29
· Santa Barbara, CA-Saturday, October 5
· Oxnard, CA - Saturday, October 5
· Long Beach, CA - Saturday, October 19
· New York City-Sunday, October 20
· Toledo, OH - Sunday, October 20
· Washington DC-Saturday, October 26
· Hollywood, FL/Miami - Saturday, October 26
· Los Angeles-Sunday, November 3
· Monroe, LA-Saturday, November 9
*There is no fee to register. Each participant is encouraged to fundraise in order to contribute to the cause and raise awareness of the disease.
Anyone interested in donating, starting their own team, or participating in one of the scheduled "Actors and Artists Unite" team walks can log on to www.alz.org/ActorsUnite to learn more.