NBC Posts Viewership Milestones for CHAMPIONSHIP SATURDAY
NBC Sports' "Championship Saturday," featuring California Chrome's attempt at a Triple Crown in the 146th Belmont Stakes and Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final between the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings, registered viewership milestones, according to fast national data provided today by The Nielsen Company, and streaming records, according to Adobe Analytics.
California Chrome's run for history, which concluded in a dead-heat tie for fourth place as Tonalist won the race, averaged 20.6 million viewers - the second-highest Belmont Stakes viewership on record, trailing only the 21.9 million viewers for NBC's telecast of Smarty Jones' Triple Crown attempt in 2004 (People Meter viewership dates to 1988).
- The 2014 Belmont Stakes is the most-watched weekend sporting event since NBC's Primetime telecast of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on Sunday, February 16 (21.3 million).
- The 2014 Belmont Stakes (6:23-7:15 p.m. ET) topped by 57% the average viewership for the last Belmont in which a Triple Crown was at stake (13.1 million on ABC in 2008 for Big Brown).
- NBC's Belmont Stakes registered a 12.0/27 household rating - a 46% increase over the 8.2/20 for ABC's Big Brown telecast in 2008, and ranking as the third-highest rated Belmont since Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown in 1977. NBC's telecast of Smarty Jones' bid in 2004 registered a 13.1/29, and CBS' coverage of Pleasant Colony's Triple Crown attempt in 1981 posted a 12.6/36.
- NBC's 4.0 rating among Adults 18-49 ranked as the highest in the demographic since the 2004 Belmont Stakes, and tied the 2003 Belmont as the second-highest in People Meter history.
- NBC's Belmont viewership and rating increased by 194% and 167% respectively over the 2013 race won by Palace Malice (7.0 million viewers and 4.5/11 HH rating).
- Locally, Belmont Stakes ratings increased in 53 of 56 metered markets vs. the last Triple Crown attempt in 2008, and were up in all 56 metered markets vs. the '13 telecast. The New York market, the home of the Belmont Stakes, registered a 15.8 rating/37 share which ranks as the second-highest ever in the market behind only Smarty Jones' attempt in 2004 (20.5/38).
- Fans live streamed 6,798,019 million minutes of the Belmont Stakes on NBC Sports Live Extra - the NBC Sports Group's live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, and tablets - a record for any horse race streamed by NBC Sports Digital. Coverage included an isolation camera on California Chrome, bonus analysis from NBC Sports commentators, and replays and footage from the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. The Belmont Stakes was watched by 389,680 unique viewers.
NHL STANLEY CUP FINAL GAME 2 Last night's Game 2 (7:15-11:45 p.m. ET), in which the Los Angeles Kings defeated the New York Rangers 5-4 in double overtime to take a 2-0 series lead, averaged 6.4 million viewers, making it the most-watched Game 2 on record (since at least 1994). The game was up 60% vs. last year's Game 2 on NBCSN (Bruins-Blackhawks, 4.0 million), and up 121% vs. 2012's Game 2 on NBC that also featured the Kings (Kings-Devils, 2.9 million).