Tribeca Film Festival Announces Winners of #6SecFilms Competition
The 13th annual Tribeca Film Festival, presented by AT&T, today announced the winners of the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival #6SecFilms competition.
Jurors Jerome Jarre, Tiffany Shlain, Julie Klausner, James Curleigh and Bethann Hardison selected four winners from a shortlist of 40 Vines curated by TFF programmers and narrowed down from a field of 536 total entries from 24 countries to name individual winners in the categories of "drama," "comedy," "animation" and "genre." A fifth winner was selected by an online voting audience of 6,000 in the first-ever #6SecFilms Audience Choice award, powered by Pitch'd, a platform for brands to curate their audience's videos and photos across social networks by hashtag and facilitate voting to find the most popular.
The winning creators will each receive individual meetings with GrapeStory, the mobile-first marketing agency and production house founded by Gary and AJ Vaynerchuk of VaynerMedia, a social-first digital shop, and Jerome Jarre, #6SecFilms juror and a serial entrepreneur with more than 4.6 million passionate Vine followers.
The winning films, viewable on TribecaFilm.com/6secfilms, follow:
- Animation: Matt Willis, Australia, for "Wrap Dancer" (https://vine.co/v/MAYd1VhQQHO)
- Drama: Jessica Harmon, USA, for "Addiction" (https://vine.co/v/Mb3B00tiiEd)
- Comedy: Albert Birney, USA, for "Sylvio Let's Go" (https://vine.co/v/MOeewxJKgin)
- Genre: Lawrence Becker, USA, for "The Vortex Finds a Host" (https://vine.co/v/MatD6eVOK2B)
- #6SecFilms Audience Award: Evan Hilton, USA, for "Shaking Free" (https://vine.co/v/MqJpVpgelt2)
"When we launched the #6SecFilms competition at last year's TFF, Vine was a brand new and many creators were just beginning to get their hands dirty," said Genna Terranova, TFF's director of programming. "A year later, there is more mastery of the platform and the increased creativity and quality of stories is apparent.
"The winners of Tribeca's #6SecFilms competition clearly shows how constraints, such as 6-second films, unleash stupendous creativity!" added Tiffany Shlain, TFF juror, filmmaker and founder of the Webby Awards.
The #6SecFilms contest debuted at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival with more than 400 U.S.-based entries in the categories of animate, genre, auteur and series. The contest's visibility has helped to develop some of the young app's current stars.
The five TFF jurors who ultimately selected the winners from a shortlist presented by the TFF programmers come to the Festival from a range of backgrounds, from Vine personalities to brand managers. Their names and bios are below:
· James Curleigh: President of the Levi's® brand. Responsible for leading the strategic direction and execution of the brand globally with a focus on product creation, marketing concepts, and market solutions. He has more than 20 years of experience building and expanding consumer brands, including KEEN Footwear, Inc. and Salomon Sports North America.