Comscore

LOVE LETTERS & HONEYMOON... VEGAS switch theaters

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Honeymoon will open at the Nederlander and Love Letters at the Brooks. Same dates.
gstrus2
Broadway Star
Interesting, wonder why they made the switch.
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Good: I honestly think it would have been such a waste of Newsies closing if Love Letters took over. Because there's no sets, right? Just 2 people in a stage?
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
Leading Actor
Nederlander has 1,232 seats and the Brooks Atkinson has 1,069. Interesting. Odd though because many would argue Nederlander has one of the worst theater locations, and the Brooks Atkinson is pretty prime. Love Letters hardly needs the exposure though with their star power, meanwhile Honeymoon needs to be visible to the public, I would think.
BroadwayNYC2
Featured Actor
What the hell is the difference if the next show at the Nederlander has a set or not?
somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
LOVE LETTERS was booked into the Nederlander as a filler show between NEWSIES and the revival of ...FORUM, which was supposed to take the theater in the spring. Now that ...FORUM may not be happening at all without James Corden, the Nederlanders have made the appropriate switch with HONEYMOON IN VEGAS, since it's much better suited to the larger of the two houses.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/12/14 at 06:00 PM
AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
Featured Actor
So now two Paper Mill productions have transferred to the Netherlander.
gstrus2
Broadway Star
I hope this doesn't mean FORUM is done for good
I was really looking forward to that revival!
Tag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Ugh what a headache for both design teams.
Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Too bad "Mama Mia" and "Side Show" couldn't switch. Just my opinion.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Gary Shandling
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Newsies closing has nothing to do with whatever show was coming in next. NOTHING.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
Broadway Star
This is a major setback for Honeymoon in Vegas. An awful location and larger theatre (and in my opinion, one of my least favorite houses on Broadway) could swallow this production whole. I love Jason Robert Brown and from what I've heard him say and perform from this new musical, it has the potential to be his first Broadway financial success! The Nederlander Theatre could greatly and negatively impact this. I do hope I am incorrect!
Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
Stand-by
Perhaps the move is occurring because another show really wants the Brooks Atkinson for the spring, which may not have been possible with an open-ended show in that theater?

Or maybe it's just as simple as wanting to have more seats to sell. I do agree, though, that the Nederlander's location is far less desirable.
Updated On: 8/12/14 at 11:17 PM
Broadway Local Profile Photo
Broadway Local
Broadway Star
The Nederlander has been home to both RENT and NEWSIES, so the location doesn't always hurt. Heck, even MILLION DOLLAR QUARTER played 500 shows there.

The only shows to play for long at the Atkinson lately have been GREASE and ROCK OF AGES, so the location doesn't always help.

O-ho the Wells Fargo wagon is a-comin' down the street.
Oh please let it be for me!
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Makes sense. I'm sure it will fit nicely into that theater. And I would imagine this means Forum isn't happening. At least not this season since Honeymoon is open-ended.
gstrus2
Broadway Star
Looks like Love Letters wants to stay open after Anjelica Huston/Martin Sheen, as the website says "And Many More Brilliant Talents To Be Announced!"
Patash Profile Photo
Patash
Broadway Legend
"Newsies closing has nothing to do with whatever show was coming in next. NOTHING."

Huh? You mean if Newsies wasn't closing, one of the other shows would still be coming in anyway? Wouldn't that cause a lot of confusion on the stage -- two shows going on at once?
haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Broadway Legend
^ A lot of the guesswork on here was that Newsies was leaving to free that theater up for Forum, but that Love Letters would be able to fill the gap between shows because it wasn't an open run. Of course, if you subscribe to this theory, it does beg the question why Newsies wouldn't have just played longer if there was a gap, and they are still selling tickets.

Advertisement