Broadway got the beat! The Go-Gos musical

JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
The show is based on the music of the GoGo’s, the California New Wave girl group of the early 1980s.
The pair have enlisted Jeff Whitty of “Avenue Q” fame to write the book, and I’m told it’s almost done. I’m told the idea is for a jukebox show with a twist– it will be set in the 1600s and based on surprising source material that can’t be revealed yet.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/#ixzz2g0hChj64

Oh yeah, Gwyneth Paltrow is Producing.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
macnyc
Broadway Legend
Are you sure this isn't from the Onion?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
But first, let's figure out how crafty Belynda will make sure Kathy Valentine doesn't see one cent of the income.
Can anyone tell me how the line has been?
evic
Broadway Star
About as exciting as a musical using Spice girls songs......yuchhhhh
suestorm
Broadway Legend
GOGOs Pilgrims and Gwyneth. what could possibly go wrong... hopefully she stays behind the scenes
FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
That twist seems like a cousin to the Jeff Buckley/"Grace"/Romeo & Juliet musical.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
"I’m told the idea is for a jukebox show with a twist– it will be set in the 1600s and based on surprising source material that can’t be revealed yet."

Surprising source material may be showcasing how the band were punk rockers before they were signed? There's lots of drama to be had by adding the story of how they fired their original bassist Margot Olavarria.

Updated On: 9/27/13 at 12:21 AM
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
They have 3, maybe 4 hits if I'm generous that people would remember and recognize and they are all from 30 years ago. When was the last time you heard any of them on the radio. Exactly what do they plan to build a show around? This has "going nowhere fast" written all over it but I hope Gwyneth enjoys herself.
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
I was able to secure a copy of a fanzine in 1993 that chronicled the Go Go's history from 1978 to 1981; lots of articles and old photos of the band at the Masque with their original members, Elissa and Margot, and great pics of Jane with blue hair as Jane Drano and Belinda in denim and leather looking very masculine. The authors said they wanted to showcase the band's history as a punk band because it was way more interesting than what happened starting in 1981, which everyone knows already. Their backstory is pretty sordid and is more interesting than when they were known as "America's Sweethearts".

I think a good movie could be made about the early Go Gos but not a musical. At least Viva Forever! had camp and flash to make it memorable. And FishermanBob, you're totally right! Outside of Our Lips Are Sealed and We Got The Beat, there's not much to work with. A lot of their early punk material, as rough as it may be, was good - "Blades" is about cutting but was never released. You can hear a demo on Youtube.

Updated On: 9/27/13 at 03:54 PM
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Don't forget Vacation. Also Belinda and Jane had a couple of solo hits that they would probably use. They are actually appearing in Ft Lauderdale tomorrow.
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
It's been thirty years, I forgot about Vacation! That's a wonderful song.
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Can they seriously cut it out with the jukebox musicals? It's so old now!
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
But as I read that piece, the show IS NOT going to be about the band, rather the story is set in the 1600's. LA's Punk scene was hardly hopping then.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
lovebwy
Broadway Star
That ain't Broadway.
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
Ain't ain't a word.
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Disneybroadwayfan22 - I agree but some people would say the same thing about Disney movies being made into musicals.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Vacation, Head Over a Heels, Our Lips Are Sealed, How Much More, Lust to Love, Get Up and Go, We Got the Beat, Can't Stop the World, Beautiful, Has the Whole World Lost Its Head.
Can anyone tell me how the line has been?
PitPro2004
Broadway Star
Namo you read my mind .
"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"
g.d.e.l.g.i.
Broadway Legend
I'm callin' it now -- a Go-Gos musical about the Salem witch trials. Gotta be. It's one of the few noteworthy events of the 1600's.
Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, FindingNamo, david_fick, emlodik
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
This town is our town
It is so glamorous....
Bet you wish you could be here
And be one of us...
FishermanBob
Broadway Legend
Well, if this actually makes it to Broadway, I would like to suggest it be followed by the Bangles Musical set during the Civil War, the Mr. Mister musical set during the Great Depression and the A Flock of Seagulls Musical set during the Spanish Inquisition. These all make about the same amount of sense.