Bertie Carvel

CarrieEmmy
Swing
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 01:03pm
I have a really silly question. I'm seeing Matilda tonight. But I noticed in Bertie Carvel's Tony reaction comments that he was in Lake George. Do you guys have any idea if he'll be performing tonight? I'm sure I'll still enjoy if he's out, but that would be disappointing!
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 01:05pm
Was he there for the day off and then traveling back to the City for the show? That would be my guess.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 01:05pm
That was mine too, without evening knowing yesterday was their dark day.
eperkins
Leading Actor
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 01:11pm
I cannot imagine any understudy performing that role a 1/10th as well as Bertie.
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 01:20pm
I highly doubt he would take a planned day off the day of Tony nominations.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
CarrieEmmy
Swing
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 01:24pm
Thanks, you guys. I knew you were right right people to ask. :)
eperkins
Leading Actor
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 02:23pm
Since this seems to be a thread about Bertie - I was wondering if the Bertie/Billy Best Actor in a Musical race could get split and end up going to Rob McClure as a result. Anybody?
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 02:38pm
Does Stark's nomination hurt Billy's shot? I still think it's Bertie's to lose.
eperkins
Leading Actor
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 02:40pm
I think it's definitely between Bertie and Billy - with Bertie my personal fav to win (although I think it could be close). I just wonder if the split could allow Rob in.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 02:52pm
I think Bertie has it in the bag.

I get the sense that most of us here are pulling for Porter, but I have to say that lead role or not Bertie gave a great big musical comedy performance and created a character that will stay in my mind long after Porter's.
....but the world goes 'round
bjh2114
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 03:15pm
I think Stark being nominated hurts Billy's chances. Not significantly, albeit, but perhaps enough to give the award squarely to Bertie.
eperkins
Leading Actor
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 04:36pm
Tazber: Exactly my feelings about the performances.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 05:23pm
Bertie's performance is really something else. I saw the show again last week and was just even more impressed with his work. Every single thing about his performance is just genius. In terms of developing the strongest character and the best overall performance, he should win. But obviously in terms of sheer stagetime, etc, Porter takes the cake.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 06:27pm
I don't get why anyone would award something based on "stagetime." It's about the PERFORMANCE. I don't care if you're in one scene or 25, if you're good you're good. And Bertie is good.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 09:16pm
Agreed completely. But I think the issue is that a very strong argument could be made for him being in the entirely wrong category. In my mind, his part is undoubtedly a featured one.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 09:28pm
But what does it matter what category you're in? Sure, he's at a disadvantage because the others have more stagetime and therefore more time to make an impression, but he's stealing every scene he's in.

I'm not sure why Gabriel was nominated. I don't think he's doing anything all that special, I think the wife is far funnier, but I guess that's just me.
BrerBear
Understudy
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 09:48pm
Not to bring it back on topic or anything, but... was Bertie in the show tonight? :)

I'm going to see it Wednesday Night (1st) and was also worried when I saw that quote, so I'm hoping you report that he was back in the show already.
BOM
Chorus Member
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:24pm
I believe Bertie will win but I also think he should have been nominated for featured.
broadway_show_fan
Broadway Star
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:59pm
Bertie was in tonight and was spot on as usual. I did notice that his left ankle/lower leg is taped though. It didn't seem to change his performance quality at all, just something I noticed.
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 11:07pm
The post about Bertie's ankle made me wonder: Do lead and/or featured actors have clauses in their contracts like film actors which prevent them from doing dangerous off-time activities?
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 11:10pm
RippedMan, I agree completely about his performance. It is, in my mind, the strongest male performance in a musical I saw this season. (Unless I am having a brain fart and forgetting someone obvious.) But I do think he's in the wrong category, in terms of sheer technicalities. I also do think he will win.

And agreed about Leslie Margherita. She absolutely should have been nominated over Lauren Ward.
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 11:34pm
What kinda name is Bertie?
bpstar
Swing
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 11:39pm
His ankle was wrapped when I saw the show in late March. I think it always is in the show.
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 11:48pm
Agreed. In my mind it's between Bertie and McClure. I know McClure won't win, but he was giving a great performance.

And maybe it's in his contract that if he came over with the show he has to be nominated as a Lead, etc.
broadway_show_fan
Broadway Star
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 4/30/13 at 11:49pm
I don't remember his ankle having been wrapped when I saw the first previews.
Yero my Hero
Broadway Legend
Bertie Carvel
Posted: 5/1/13 at 12:06pm
And maybe it's in his contract that if he came over with the show he has to be nominated as a Lead, etc.

There is no way that is in his contract, because the producers don't have full control over the nominations. I'm sure it's in his contract to be BILLED as a lead, but there was always the chance (as I'm sure many people here thought) that the Tony committee would put him in Featured. Furthermore, no producer can guarantee any kind of award nomination in a contract. They might as well write into the contract that there shall be no traffic to or from the theater every night for the entire run, and that it will never rain.

Do lead and/or featured actors have clauses in their contracts like film actors which prevent them from doing dangerous off-time activities?

I don't recall anything specific, but there is definitely a clause about the actor being responsible for maintaining his appearance and health (weight, haircut, take care of your voice, etc.). I'm sure most people consider dangerous recreational activities part of that, but I don't know of any instance where it has actually come up. If an actor has a week vacation, could a producer stop him from going skiing? Or skydiving? I don't know.

I also saw the show in previews, and I think I remember his ankle wrapped.
Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Page: