FREEZE FRAME: Matt Wall Dons Gypsy Robe at EVITA Premiere
The Gypsy Robe began in 1950, when Bill Bradley, in the chorus of GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, borrowed a dressing gown from Chorus member Florence Baum and sent it to a friend in CALL ME MADAM on opening night Oct 12, 1950 saying it was worn by all the Ziegfeld beauties and would "bless" the show. A cabbage rose from Ethel Merman's gown was added and the robe was passed along to next Broadway musical on opening night. The tradition evolved so that the robe is now presented to the "gypsy" who has performed the most Broadway musicals on a chorus contract. Along the way, the robe is decorated, painted, patched, stitched, and signed by everyone in the show, becoming a fanciful patchwork for an entire Broadway season.
The company of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's landmark musical EVITA is led by Ricky Martin as Che, Elena Roger in her Broadway debut as Eva Perón and Michael Cerveris as Juan Perón, along with Max von Essen as Migaldi and Rachel Potter as the Mistress.
The creative team includes Scenic and Costume Designer Christopher Oram, Lighting Designer Neil Austin, Sound Designer Mick Potter, Wig and Hair Designer Richard Mawbey, Projection Designer Zachary Borovay, and Music Supervisor/Director Kristen Blodgette. Orchestrations are by Andrew Lloyd Webber and David Cullen, and dance arrangements are by David Chase. Michael Grandage directs and Rob Ashford will choreographs the first new Broadway production of the musical since it debuted on Broadway over 30 years ago.
Read more about EVITA's opening night here, and check out a preview of the Gypsy Robe ceremony below! Full coverage of the event will follow.
Photo Credit: Walter McBride/WM Photos
- Photo Coverage: Fyvush Finkel Previews Show at 54 Below
- Photo Coverage: Inside ROCKY's Star-Studded Opening Night Arrivals!
- FREEZE FRAMES: Meet the Company of MTC's CASA VALENTINA
- Photo Coverage: Go In the Ring with the Cast of ROCKY! Inside the Opening Night Curtain Call!
- FREEZE FRAMES: Meet the Company of MOTHERS AND SONS on Broadway!
- Photo Coverage: Audra McDonald Holds a Doggie Talent Search for LADY DAY AT EMERSON'S BAR & GRILL!
- Photo Coverage: Sardi's Celebrates PIPPIN! Thomas, d'Amboise, Miller and Jones Get Caricatures
- Photo Coverage: On the Red Carpet with Helen Mirren, Jeremy Irons & More at the Roundabout Spring Gala
- In the Spotlight Series: The Company of ARLINGTON
- Photo Coverage: James Franco, Chris O'Dowd and OF MICE AND MEN Company Meet the Press!