West End's Sunday Best

boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End's Sunday Best#1
Posted: 3/17/09 at 1:13pm
West End's Sunday Best

Anyone know details of this event. Scheduled for Sunday week at the Palace. Seems like a great idea - a benefit with all the Aussie stars in London for the bushfire/flood victims back home.

Updated On: 3/17/09 at 01:13 PM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#2
Posted: 3/18/09 at 9:09am
March 29. Simon Burke is hosting the event, with appearances by Philip Quast, Tamsin Carroll, Rolf Harris, String Divas and the casts members from PRISCILLA, OLIVER!,LA CAGE, SISTER ACT, DIRTY DANCING, CHICAGO, THE LION KING, ZORRO and JERSEY BOYS.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#2
Posted: 3/20/09 at 7:50am
What a fab idea for a fab cause by a fab group of people!
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End's Sunday Best#3
Posted: 3/22/09 at 7:42am
Anyone going?
rhoeyaboat Profile Photorhoeyaboat Profile Photo
rhoeyaboat
Swing
Swing
re: West End's Sunday Best#4
Posted: 3/22/09 at 9:06am
I got a message on facebook this morning about it sounds awesome esp if oliver rhoe thornton is going to perform!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=72260664971#wall_posts

Definitely going along apparently whole cast of Priscilla doing it and Lorna Luft is making an appearance!

What a great idea
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End's Sunday Best#5
Posted: 3/22/09 at 10:59am
Just tried to book tickets on the website and got offered row D, it then screwed up so I had to ring and was only offered row H, minutes later websites back offering row D, some tell me row H is better!!
=D
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#6
Posted: 3/22/09 at 3:21pm
As there wont be much set for this night I would go for the D seats as its more of a concert presentation.
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End's Sunday Best#7
Posted: 3/22/09 at 4:19pm
I've already booked, but checked theatremonkey & the D seats were behind a pillar so I'm consoling myself haha. Nah it should be a good night =)
Are you going? If you are I'll get myself in gear and finally sort out the CD =)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#8
Posted: 3/23/09 at 6:12am
Not sure yet but will drop you a line in next few days darling!
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End's Sunday Best#9
Posted: 3/23/09 at 2:47pm
Coolio! =) x
rhoeyaboat
Swing
Swing
re: West End's Sunday Best#10
Posted: 3/23/09 at 7:57pm
Email from organizers just in says that Jodie Prenger and Lee Mead are now also performing in this concert!
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#11
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:09pm
So I'm thinking I'll go to this, but am wondering how long it will last for? I have to catch a train back to Bournemouth from Waterloo at 10:50pm, so would I miss much?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#12
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:19pm
These evenings have a habit of going on for some time. Longest evening i had at one of these was a Variety Club Concert at the London Palladium in 1989.
Curtain up 7pm.
Curtain down 12.45am!
On the bill were Morcombe and Wise, Michael Ball, Eric Sykes, Cleo Laine, Frankie Vaughn and 100s of others. I was told that as these names were hearing about the show that had already started at the Palladium so they all just decided to turned up and walked on and do their bit.
Well over 5 hours seemed like 2!
You can never say how long they last as names get added right up until curtain time.
rhoeyaboat
Swing
Swing
re: West End's Sunday Best#13
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:21pm
Well the facebook page says 7-9pm but you know how these things can go on!!!

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?compose&ref=mb#/event.php?eid=72260664971#wall_posts

But even allowing for that I'd say you'd make the train LOL !
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#14
Posted: 3/23/09 at 8:22pm
It will never be 2 hrs.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#15
Posted: 3/27/09 at 10:02am
Just booked :)

Who else is going?
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End's Sunday Best#16
Posted: 3/27/09 at 12:21pm
Me =) Yay I'm looking forward to it!
rhoeyaboat
Swing
Swing
re: West End's Sunday Best#17
Posted: 3/27/09 at 3:39pm
Me too (:

Got tickets to Priscilla matinee tomorrow too can't wait. Wonder if Jason and Lee will do a number together how cool would that be?? (:
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#18
Posted: 3/29/09 at 9:57pm
So just got back and thanfully this time, there's no transport drama story - National Express coaches are so much better, and get me closer to home anyway.

The show itself was great. A great benefit for a great cause put on by a great group of people. The feelings everyone described of helplessness were so true. My uncle and very pregnant live in far north Melbourne, weren't too far from the massive firestorms and I was stuck in the UK, unable to really do anything. I'm so grateful to the British Red Cross and Tuckerbox for putting on this benefit to allow me to do my little bit, £20 worth of raffle tickets to be exact.

There was a strange feeling of home at the theatre (something I've missed and craved for the past three months) and I think it only cemented the Palace's place as "a little slice of Australia right in the middle of London".

Some points about the evening:
1. Tamsin Carroll = as incredible as usual. She sang "The Look of Love" from Dusty, and on introducing her, Simon Burke very much hinted that the show will be coming to the West End at some point. I do hope this is true ... Tamsin deserves her BIG break in London, especially since at the moment she doesn't have the most grueling of schedules. Anyone who was there would've heard me squeal my lungs out whenever her name was mentioned :)
2. Nick Hardcastle - since when was he in London? I've been a quiet fan of his from Home and Away and also during his stint as Adam in late '06. Loved his appearance and he was as fantastic as ever. Check him out: http://www.myspace.com/nickhardcastle
3. The guys from La Clique - omg!! Incredibly talented and hot ... what else could you want?
4. Lee Mead = my second fav honourary Aussie for a day. He did a song from his new album, and totally made me order it from amazon.co.uk when I got home.
5. The cast of Priscilla did We Belong. Every time I hear the a capella chorus of that song sung by the 20 strong cast I cannot help but get shivers. I warmed to Jason Donovan much more tonight than I did on Thursday.
6. Jodie Prenger - my new fav person in the world. She was just so warm and had a presence about her that you couldn't help but love. At WHSmith on the way to the coach station I bought her bio and spent the entire 2.5 hour ride reading it. Great read btw.
7. The two from Dirty Dancing - what was with that? It was awkward and kinda out of place. However, that might just be my dislike of Nadia coming through. I dunno?
8. Same goes for the Rat Pack. They were great, but just a bit random. I think one of them (not Martin, David Jr and Sinatra, but the actors) was Aussie, but that wasn't very clear.
9. Phillip Quast was a no show. If he was stuck in Sydney filming wouldn't they have had time to remove him from the programme. Oh well, I'll be seeing him in La Cage in May anyways.
10. Rolf Harris = legend. I've never seen him perform live before and he was electrifying. So joyous and lovable and totally loved his entire segment.
11. Noni McCallum ... where has she come from? Well besides Geelong of course. She was incredible!! Definitely one to watch :)
12. The highlight of the show for me was Lorna Luft. Her "Don't Cry Out Loud" wasn't the best vocal performance of that song, but so what? When someone is standing at the footlights belting that song out to at packed house, how can one not help but love it? One thing lacking though ... in her introduction of the song she described Peter Allen as an incredible friend and an amazing human, but forgot to mention he was a bloody Aussie!!

All in all, a great night. Congrats to all involved, it was a testament to the Aussie spirit of ingenuity and resourcefulness :)
Updated On: 3/30/09 at 09:57 PM
nlm
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: West End's Sunday Best#19
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:27am
It doesn't matter how many times I hear Tamsin sing Look of Love she seems to nail it every single time. Glad she chose that and yay to Dusty finally heading to WE.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End's Sunday Best#20
Posted: 3/30/09 at 8:38am
Thanks for that review boyfromoz2. I was just about to post on this thread asking if anyone had been.
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: West End's Sunday Best#21
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:05pm
Ah that was a really great night and made a whole load of money for a good cause =) I'm very glad I was there! I pretty much agree exactly with boyfromoz2!