Page: 1

'Blithe Spirit' -A Hit On Broadway. London Next, Please!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wouldnt it be great if we had a long awaited revival of this gorgeous Noel Cowrd play in London again.
'Blithe Spirit' -A Hit On Broadway. London Next, Please!

This new production has just had a great set of reviews in New York. It already has two great British stars in its line up.
Angela Lansbury has said she would love to play London one more time and Rupert Everett isn't seen enough on the West End stage either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgZ9Gz2XeHc

Updated On: 3/17/09 at 12:41 PM
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh please!! I'm really excited about this being my first Noel Coward/Angela Lansbury experience next month :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've just added a video to the original OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgZ9Gz2XeHc
Updated On: 3/17/09 at 12:49 PM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do want. But only with Angela (who saved Deuce from being a total waste of time.)
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It would be fantastic to have Angela back in London! The first ever show I saw on Broadway was Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd back in 1979 and it still ranks as one of the all time best performances I've seen. She was delightful in Deuce and I'm sure she's a brilliant Madame Arcati.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this in New York, and it was previews so allowances must be made, overall though I was a little disappointed.

It did creak along, with some laughs along the way, but I just felt it was very much geared (understandably I guess) for the American view of Coward and british life. It just felt very American.

The set was great, and the cast were also very strong. Rupert Everett, while he may play the same kind of role in everything ive seen him in, he does it very well and had great stage presence. Christine Ebersole didnt feel like she had much to do, but she had fun with the role, but she was outshone by Jayne Atkinson who was just brilliant. The girl who plays the maid (whose name escapes me) was very funny and stole several scenes.

As for Angela Lansbury, and the reason I saw this on my trip, well she is a star. Yes she fluffed lines, clearly couldnt remember them at times, and couldnt project her voice well (to be fair they all had that problem at times) but you know what, it didnt matter!! She just lit up the stage. Its not a challenging role, but she takes such charge of it and has a commanding presence your eyes are just glued to her.
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i think i really want to see this i think lansbury is an amazing actress and i think this play looks very funny ! might go see it instead of on the monday night while im in ny
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK, so if Miss Lansbury were to cross the Atlantic that would be a dream come true. Failing that, though, here is my fantasy line-up:

Charles Condomine Hugh Grant (controversial I know, but I think he'd pull it off)
Ruth Condomine Tracie Bennett
Elvira Condomine Ute Lemper
Madame Arcati Julia MacKenzie
George Bradman Des Barritt
Violet Bradman Zoe Wanamaker
Edith Jane Horrocks (or failing that, Su Pollard!)

Quite a strong MT contingent, but all have the comedy chops!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dev! Get yourself in casting-please!
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not that I wish to gloat you understand but I've already got front row seats for Blithe Spirit on May 22nd (and front row for Jane Fonda the day after!)
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sounds like the kind of job I'd like! But can you imagine how much this cast would cost!

(I heard a very funny story ealier this week about the salary negotiations of one of the actors I listed above!)
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's a production of Blithe Spirit at the Watermill in May. Not sure of the casting but I doubt it will measure up to Devonian's line up!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Seeing the above mention of "Deuce" reminded me of how obvious is was what attracted Angela to her role - she got to sit down for about 90 per cent of the show. There was one glorious moment when she said the C word, the whole audience sat in stunned silence thinking "did she really say that?", then she said it again.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Claire De Loone  Profile PhotoClaire De Loone  Profile Photo
Claire De Loone
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Thanks for posting this off to see it in June cant wait
"Of course, sometimes I get carried away"
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Blithe Spirit was only in London at The Savoy about 5 years ago with Penelope Keith (later replaced by Stephanie Cole) and Joanna Riding.