Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#1
Posted: 3/16/09 at 7:53pm
I saw Phantom tonight, still a splendid show, I got some info I like to find out and I need your help.

Is there a double phantom in the show?

When you hear the Phantom sing, but do not see him, is he actually singing, or they got something backed up from Itunes?

The proscenium with the masks, in New York the eyes of the mask light up, does that happen in London, did I miss it?

Does the Chandelier fall faster in London that it does in New York?

Tip: The view from the Royal Circle is better than the stalls, plus you don't **** yourself when that Chandelier falls down!
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#2
Posted: 3/22/09 at 11:30am
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, there is a 'double' Phantom in several scenes in the show. In the title number there's actually TWO, right after the dressing room scene ("Angel of music"/"Mirror"), a stunt Phantom leads a stunt Christine across the stage and down the staircase under the stage during the intro. And once the curtain goes up to start the actual scene and song, there's another stunt couple walking back and forth the travelator. The actual actors playing the roles appear on stage in this scene for the first time when the boat glides on stage. There's also a stunt Phantom in "Masquerade" (in the very end), in "Like yellow parchment is his skin...", "Preparing for the Don Juan performance" etc.

For several Phantom's singing parts when he's not on stage they use a recording, like in both "Notes". And as far as I know, the first half of the title song is also pre-recorded. Also Christine's vocals in the end of the song are recorded, though the actress may choose to sing them live.

I don't remember the eyes of the statue ever lighting up in London, though I may remember wrong.

The chandelier does not fall faster in London than in New York. Most likely it is just the other way around!
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#2
Posted: 3/23/09 at 5:33am
I don't think the chandelier in London falls faster than anything. That show seriously needs a revamp.
LotteTBS138 Profile PhotoLotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#3
Posted: 3/23/09 at 7:28am
actually no pigeon, that is said to be the rumour why Phantom IS running this long, that some part of the Chandelier (the rotor or something) has never been changed and thus kept the show running! So they fear if that gets replaced, then the show will close
I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#4
Posted: 3/23/09 at 7:48am
No way!! I'd never thought about it like that. It does seem like the sort of show to be drenched in superstition actually.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#5
Posted: 3/23/09 at 12:24pm
actually no pigeon, that is said to be the rumour why Phantom IS running this long, that some part of the Chandelier (the rotor or something) has never been changed and thus kept the show running! So they fear if that gets replaced, then the show will close

If, in the near future, the London newspapers run a report on a man found wandering around by the chandelier mechanism, new rotor and spanner in hand, that'll be me... re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!

I had heard that it does fall faster here than in NY (and faster still in Australia), but can't find anything to actually back that up...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#6
Posted: 3/23/09 at 12:27pm
It definately falls faster in Australia due to lack of HEalth and safety, Richard Stilgoe mentions it in the Behind The Mask documentary
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#7
Posted: 3/23/09 at 4:57pm
I thought it fell faster here than New York, seemed quite tame in New York.

'There's also a stunt Phantom in "Masquerade" (in the very end), in "Like yellow parchment is his skin...", "Preparing for the Don Juan performance" etc'.

I recall this bit the Phantom walks down the stairs, throws Don Juan book to theatre manager, the disappears under stage, via a fast lift, fail to see why a Phantom double is needed, please clarify? x

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#8
Posted: 3/23/09 at 6:13pm
**Spolier Alert**
Half the people standing on the grand staircase are false!
Shock! Horror!
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#9
Posted: 3/23/09 at 6:16pm
I think that a double Phantom is needed in the Masquerade scene because he throws something on the ground that causes a popping sound and a cloud of smoke and he disappears in the smoke only to reappear very quickly a second later at the top of the stairs.

I do know that the superstition regarding the chandler is one that is in the Broadway production but I don't know about London.

I also know that each production varies in how fast it can fall. I think it has something to do with how much weight the roof of the theatre can hold and how fast the motors can go. I do know that for the 20th anniversary of the show Dana Kenn, the US the Broadway set designer told them to have it go at full speed. Of course she told the cast and crew. But, she didn't tell the stage manager because the stage manager that was going to call that show HATED when that happened and she saw no reason why that couldn't be done. He was in for a surprise when it happened.

Also, The entire title song is pre recorded. I have been toThe entire song is pre recorded because you pretty much have two Phantoms and two Christines all over the stage and some parts of the song both sets of actors aren't standing that far apart from one another. Due to the entire song being pre recorded that also has Christine pre record the final note. I am convinced that that note is just way to high to be able to sing 6 times a week. With the high note being pre recorded, I have talked to some actors on Broadway who have played the role and said that they could do the full 8 shows without a problem. But, they aren't complaining for two paid days off.

And, I believe that the lights on the porcineum do light up in London. I think that everything about the London and Broadway productions are exactly the same.

I think that it is hard to see the lights sometimes. I have been to performances where they were on but very faint and unless you had seen the show and knew that they were going to be on then you could just have as easily missed them.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
LotteTBS138
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#10
Posted: 3/24/09 at 8:27am
**Spolier Alert**
Half the people standing on the grand staircase are false!
Shock! Horror!

WHAT???!!!!! OMG!!! Now my life will never be the same! :)
What's next? The Phantom falls through his chair and leaves his mask sitting on top of it, and then moves to Coney Island chasing Christine?! No............. :P

back to seriousness, now, I don't see why the title track HAS to be pre-recorded when you have stunt doubles. The 2 can be standing still on top of the boat, while the others run the marathon/looting spree. Maybe the live version was for Sarah who has no problems belting those notes 8 times a week?
I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#11
Posted: 3/24/09 at 8:44am
I'd have thought the speed of the chandelier would be governed a lot by the size of the venue. The larger the venue the faster it needs to get to where it's going.

"lack of health and safety" in Australia? When were those comments written? Everything here is seriously bound by Health and Safety regulations.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#12
Posted: 3/24/09 at 8:45am
As I said, Richard Stilgoe mentions in in the documentary.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#13
Posted: 3/24/09 at 8:52am
Was it made back in the late 80's? That might account for it.
ThankstoPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#14
Posted: 3/24/09 at 9:05am
Contrary to popular belief, the real Phantom and Christine switch with stunt doubles just as Christine's first verse with the song has ended. You'll notice this, as the two doubles literally exit the bridge and then the two characters come back on very quickly.
How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#15
Posted: 3/24/09 at 9:26am
No a few years back. Its on the Phantom movie dvd, and was also shown in a longer version a couple of christmasses ago on BBC2
Sant
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#16
Posted: 3/25/09 at 10:00am
The lights inside of the Angel statue (on which the Phantom stands at the end of Act I) did NOT light up in London the last time I saw it. I was sitting in the mid stalls/ochestra and paid attention to it, because it looks cool when they do. I remembered them lighting up on Broadway and I was surprised to see that they didn't in London.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#17
Posted: 3/25/09 at 4:01pm
I know that the lights are supposed to light up on the statue that the Phantom is standing on at the end of act 1. As are the the status on the porcineum. There have been times where I was there and they didn't light up.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
LotteTBS138
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#18
Posted: 3/26/09 at 11:23am
this is an issue that happens when a show runs for such a long period of time that things start to get dirty... ie- dancing/chorus singing is not in sync, glitches in lighting/sound etc.
Even though I've heard that Hal still does "check-ups" in Phantom to make sure it's running correctly.

The lighting issue might have been that, an issue with that performance that the light board did not turn it on or it got changed
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#19
Posted: 3/26/09 at 2:53pm
I love to also find out how the Phantom gets up and down from the proscenium and this goes for other shows too, such as the divas in Priscilla or Mary in Mary Poppins?
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#20
Posted: 3/26/09 at 3:43pm
Here's the rundown of some flies entrances and exits:

Wicked ... for Glinda's first entrance, at beginners' call the bubble is flown down to the deck. Dianne/Sarah/whoever steps into it and is flown up into the flies. She then waits for her entrance.

Mary Poppins ... for Mary's exit in Act 1. She flies up towards the stage right wing, and as soon as the curtain falls, she is then lowered back to the deck. For her entrance in Act 2, she is flown up from the wings at the beginning of Let's Go Fly a Kite, waits in the flies for her entrance, and then is lowered onto the stage during the song.

For Priscilla, I'm not sure if there is a gangway built in the flies somewhere. If so, then the Divas are flown up and then step onto a gangway, are unclipped and then make their way down to the deck. The more likely option is that they are just lowered down in the wings.

No idea how Erik gets up to the pros in Phantom, but I assume there is a very tight staircase/gangway built into the reverse of the pros arch, which he uses to get up there.

That helpful?
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#21
Posted: 3/26/09 at 3:54pm
OZ!!!! Mary Poppins doesn't actually have the power to fly and is on a wire!!?

You've just gone and ruined all the magic that show ever had for me...
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#22
Posted: 3/26/09 at 4:00pm
Really you just smashed the illusion for me, telling me its a wire, always thought Mary P dropped an E and started flying!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#23
Posted: 3/26/09 at 4:04pm
Will people stop all this nonsense about Mary!! She doesn't do E or any other drugs and she most deffitely DOES fly, on her own, without wires!! re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Phantom is here, he is everywhere!!!#24
Posted: 3/26/09 at 4:53pm
boyfromoz2,

In Phantom, at least on Broadway, there is a staircase that goes to the top of the proscenium. That is how he gets there for Poor Fool, He Makes Me Laugh. Now, I know that while he is on the proscenium in that scene he is in two different places. I don't think that they use a double for that because I think that there is enough time for him to be in one spot, and go quickly towards the entrance for the other one.

I do know that during the ballet in the same scene when your seeing the Phantom chase and kill Bouquet, that is a double and not the actual actress who plays the role.