Broadway in April

boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway in April#1
Posted: 2/26/09 at 11:18am
So, I'm going across in New York in April and want to know what you all think I should see? I would post on the Broadway board but am still kinda apprehensive about crossing the virtual pond :)

I'm thinking of seeing West Side Story, South Pacific, Hair, 9 to 5, Shrek, Little Mermaid and In The Heights.
Any others I should include?
Any of the above I should not include?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#2
Posted: 2/26/09 at 11:30am
Defo see '9 To 5' -its stunning ,I saw it in LA and it will be top of my list again in New York.
'Shrek' is great fun.
'The Little Mermaid' is now a little tired and plastic. No sign of it hitting the London stage anytime soon so maybe you better catch it there.
If your into plays I'll be seeing Blithe Spirit on my next visit.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#2
Posted: 2/26/09 at 11:36am
Have booked front row mezz centre (seat 113 - stupid system) for the first preview of 9 to 5. Am really excited!! I think the atmosphere of the first preview will be incredible :)

I looked at Blithe Spirit, but I'll only be going along to the Shubert if its on TKTS - something I see as very unlikely as its got such star power attached (Lansbury, Ebersole, Everett)
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Broadway in April#3
Posted: 2/26/09 at 1:00pm
We're there again in April!
We saw ITH last year...one of the best things ever..don't miss it (even though the composer/lead left a couple of weeks ago).
We've booked 9 to 5 and Hair (good discounts) and South Pacific (not so good) which we couldn't get into last year.
We'd like to see WSS, but have been waiting for discounts which may not come, and it seems to be selling well.
So we've room for a couple more...any ideas about new stuff anyone?
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#4
Posted: 2/26/09 at 1:34pm
How did you get discounts for South Pacific in April? The code currently on Playbill Club only lasts till March 31. I'm hoping that they release a new one soon, so I can book for April.

I'm just going to pay full price for a great seat to West Side Story. It seems it's going to become this season's runaway success, and I don't expect discount codes to come out for a fair while.
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Broadway in April#5
Posted: 2/26/09 at 1:41pm
OK..I didn't!..but the day after I booked the SP tickets I got the $99 flyer (you're right, to the end of March, but I would guess to be extended as it's now been on over a year)and I've convinced myself I didn't pay full price (particuarly at $1.47 to the ).
Like you, it looks like it'll have to be full price for WSS (the discount code will follow within days!)
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#6
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:04pm
Of the shows you mention, the ones I saw whilst in NYC last year were South Pacific and The Little Mermaid - and I would recommend both of them. I didn't go to see In The Heights, mainly cause I've heard the score and thought it was utterly horrible (but that's not to say it's no good, just not my taste in music).

I've booked to go to New York in early May and have booked for 5 shows: Billy Elliot, Shrek, Hair, Happiness and 1776 (at the Papermill Playhouse). I also plan to book for Next To Normal as soon as tickets go on sale.

I've heard some great things about 9 to 5 - and I would love to see Alison Janney live on stage - but again the music is just not my cup of tea, so I'll be giving it a pass. That, I guess, sums up the problem of asking people to recommend shows to see - many people's tastes will be different to yours.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#7
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:09pm
Very good point there.

The score on ITH didn't grab me, but I still think it would be a crime to not see it while in New York (kinda like West Side Story - they're both New York stories that should really be told in New York)

I feel the same way about tourists coming to the West End and not catching a London story (like Oliver, or My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins when they were on).

Updated On: 2/26/09 at 06:09 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#8
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:13pm
Bob have you heard the 9 To 5 demo.
It does sound countrified but in the show its nothing like that. Honest cos I feel the same.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#9
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:31pm
mama, I've heard clips on the 9 to 5 website. And I've always detested the title song from the movie lol. It's too late now anyway coz I've already booked everything I can fit in while in New York in May - apart from the one night I've left free for Next To Normal. And no way do I want to miss that. Everything I've read about the Arena production looks great, what I've heard from the score sounds great - and Alice Ripley is awesome!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 2/26/09 at 06:31 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#10
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:38pm
LOL
fair enuf
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#11
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:40pm
I must admit Dolly's version of 9 to 5 on the website is rather attrocious. Having seen the show (not live but still) the opening sequence is phenomenal. When the office set comes together for that first time, I had shivers down my spine. The same thing happened when Steph J Block was sassing out "Get Out and Stay Out". If I got shivers from a watching it on a TV, then imagine how it'll be for the first preview!!

What's the deal with Next to Normal? What's it about, who's the score by, who's the director, what have reviews been like from DC etc?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#12
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:48pm
Do you guys book tickets for New York in advance? I usually treat myself to one full price one and do the rest on tkts.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#13
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:55pm
Next To Normal is a new musical by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, directed by Michael Greif (director of Rent on Broadway, Grey Gardens, etc.). It appears to have a very powerful book - the central character is a mother stuggling with bi-polar disorder - and a rock score. You can find out more about the arena stage production and listen to clips from songs here:

http://www.arenastage.org/season/08-09/next-to-normal/

Apart from the appeal of the show itself, I just love Alice Ripley. I fell in love with her voice when I first heard the Broadway cast alsbum of Side Show. And I saw her in 2005 in The Baker's Wife at Papermill and she blew me away. It was worth flying 5,000 miles just to hear her sing Meadowlark!

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#14
Posted: 2/26/09 at 6:59pm
The demo i have sounds OK.
Only listened to it once.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#15
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:03pm
Well I'm kinda convinced. Was that the show that was playing the Longacre then took the Booth when Story of My Life closed?

I've never seen Alice Ripley live, and that is definitely a draw itself. Are there discount codes yet/will it be on TKTS?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#16
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:14pm
Yes, Next To Normal was originally to have gone into the Longacre but when The Story of My Life closed, they announced it would be going into the Booth instead. Tickets apparently will go on sale on March 2nd - it starts previews on March 27 and opens April 15. Too early to know about any discounts.

Updated On: 2/26/09 at 07:14 PM
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#17
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:20pm
So I assume they're not hoping for a big advance?? Only 25 days from box office opening to first preview - is that some sort of record?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#18
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:25pm
Don't know about a record - but it does seem kinda short. But this Broadway transfer has been talked about for quite some time - I guess they've just been waiting for the right theatre. It already has great word of mouth from the previous stagings - people have been raving about it on the broadway board for quite some time! (Also, it's been announced that they're recording the score with this cast. Just a slight shame - coz Brian D'Arcy James was in it at Arena Stages before he went into Shrek.)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#19
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:27pm
This, I fear will be another one of those little shows that try to make it to Broadway and all too often they are gone within weeks.
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#20
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:28pm
I would definitely try to catch Next to Normal. I saw it off Broadway and it was excellent. Hoping to see it again shortly after previews.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#21
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:49pm
To reply to Phantom's seemingly ignored comment: I'm only booking 9 to 5 (in previews), West Side (brand new and a potential hit) and South Pacific (still playing to near capacity a year later). I'm hoping to catch In the Heights, Shrek, Mary Poppins, Mermaid, August, Blithe Spirit and Guys n' Dolls, on TKTS.

Am also kinda now hoping Next to Normal will be on TKTS as well now
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#22
Posted: 2/26/09 at 8:27pm
You must be in New York for a little while, to catch 10 shows?

By the way I would do exactly the same as you when I purchase my tickets, like your tactics. Are you not seeing Billy Elliot?
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#23
Posted: 2/26/09 at 8:29pm
Am there for two weeks - my first time by myself :)

Billy Elliot? Well I've seen it three times in Sydney, once in Melbourne and once with the OLC (with Liam) at the Vic Palace. Although it is an amazing piece of theatre (with maybe a few dud songs thrown in) I don't really feel like booking for a show I've already seen 5 times.
Updated On: 2/26/09 at 08:29 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway in April#24
Posted: 2/26/09 at 8:36pm
'Billy Elliot? Well I've seen it three times in Sydney, once in Melbourne and once with the OLC (with Liam) at the Vic Palace. Although it is an amazing piece of theatre (with maybe a few dud songs thrown in) I don't really feel like booking for a show I've already seen 5 times'.

Thankyou, you agree with me with Billy see my thread below.

You are spreading your shows out well, its hard going seeing two shows in a day, if I was going to do that I would see a show I have seen before, two new shows in a day is hard.

As yiu have seen Billy before, this might br worthy of a matinee, I hear the Balcony is very cheap and gives good views. I would like to see the Broadway version, to see what changes have been done and see if Americans can do a Newcastle accent!