In The Heights...UK?

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
In The Heights...UK?#1
Posted: 2/25/09 at 7:15pm
Ok...this may be a stretch, but...

I'm not sure if anyone else here gets the Ugly Betty Podcast, but the other week I was listening to Becki Newton and Michael Urie (Amanda and Mark from the show) and a (UK) fan wrote in and asked what their favourite musical was or something, and they raved about In The Heights and Becki casually mentioned something along the lines of the show touring the UK at some point.

Of course she may have been confused, flat out making stuff up or...and I hope this is the truth, that she accidentally let slip something thats not been confirmed?

It kind of makes sense that they would tour it to see how the British public react before gambling on the West End, so...any of the wise West Enders got any info? *fingers crossed*
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#2
Posted: 2/25/09 at 10:38pm
oh i wish this one would come to the UK, but im just not sure it would
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#2
Posted: 2/26/09 at 1:16am
I think it an unlikely move. Just guessing but I would say this show would be seen as totally alien to a British audience (as it would to an Australian audience).
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...UK?#3
Posted: 2/26/09 at 5:52am
They were my first feelings on it, to the general public the concept is totally alien and it's not like we have any sort of hispanic sub-culture here to show it some love, it will just be people who have heard about it from Broadway and the occasional adventurous couple.

That being said, if they market it well, 'Tony Award Winning Show' etc and perhaps ride on the back of the recent West Side Story revival - there's a possibility it could do ok.

Such a shame because this show is fantastic.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#4
Posted: 2/26/09 at 7:26am
A long way off, if ever. This is one current show I hear nobody talking about in this country.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#5
Posted: 2/26/09 at 9:34am
Isn't there a movie planned for 2010? If they ever opened it here surely it would be after the movie's release depending on the reaction to the movie. I don't ever see it here to be honest. I loved the cast album though, I think its a great little show, it would make a great movie in my opinion.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#6
Posted: 2/26/09 at 9:49am
Yeah the movie was announced a few months back, i think it will make a great film
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...UK?#7
Posted: 2/26/09 at 10:11am
Ach well.

Looking forward to a film will just have to do for the time being.

I also think that this show would be terrific on screen, one of the rare musical to movies that wouldn't be nerve-wracking to see how they managed it.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#8
Posted: 2/26/09 at 11:25am
Of all the current Broadway fare, this is the last one I see crossing the Atlantic. Nearly all the references and locations would be foreign to a British audience.

However, I kind of feel the same about Priscilla, which was full of Aussie references to pop culture, politics, news and current affairs etc when presented in Australia, and we all know how successful that show is going be :)
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...UK?#9
Posted: 2/26/09 at 1:04pm
I agree it's unlikely ITH would open here on tour..if at all.
But the story is universal, and the references are not much more obscure than most American shows
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...UK?#10
Posted: 2/26/09 at 1:35pm
Were they maybe referring to the current/soon to be US tour?
Updated On: 2/26/09 at 01:35 PM
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...UK?#11
Posted: 2/26/09 at 3:31pm
It's pretty unlikely that In The Heights will tour the UK IMO.

The Producing Office, the main producers of the show, have had very limited success in the UK market. RENT didn't take off here like it did in the States, DROWSY CHAPERONE was a massive flop (and they didn't really bring it here willingly anyway), and AVENUE Q is unlikely to have made any money at all for them beyond their producer's royalty if they get one (how many people pay full price to see it? I'm guessing very few). I would actually go way out on a limb and say out of any of the Producing Office's shows the most likely one to make it here in future is [title of show] somewhere like Upstairs at the Gatehouse for a week, and even that's pretty unlikely.

I can't actually think of a single Hispanic musical theatre actor in the UK (everyone in Zorro is actually from Spain, after all). I hope someone can enlighten me, because that's pretty shocking of me. And we'd need a male lead who can rap!

boyfromoz2 - I'm glad you're convinced of Priscilla's success, I can't say I feel the same but it would be nice to be proven wrong. It just seems too camp, too cult and too damn big; I've no idea how they're fitting that bus into the Palace and at what cost, and Jason Donovan's name isn't the draw it once was.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#12
Posted: 2/26/09 at 3:46pm
The negativity is painfull
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#13
Posted: 2/26/09 at 4:12pm
Sorry to threadjack, but Priscilla really isn't that big. Yes there are impressive numbers of costumes/wigs etc but there is only a cast of 20 (at that). The show was a HUGE success in Australia, with both Aussies and tourists, and they have gathered a fair advance - not the record breaking 15 million Cameron already has for his rehashed revival, but a fair advance for a new show from a foreign country.

I can really see the show lasting for two maybe three years. However, I like you could be proved wrong re: In The Heights...UK?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#14
Posted: 2/26/09 at 4:23pm
The Palace has had bigger shows.
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#15
Posted: 2/26/09 at 4:33pm
Oh and by the way, the bus never actually leaves the stage. It just slides US and is concealed by a drop when not in use. So there's not need for huge wings to put it. The costumes on the other hand are rather crazy!! Look out for the cupcakes - my personal faves :)

Sorry for the threadjack!!
fairygodmother Profile Photofairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: In The Heights...UK?#16
Posted: 2/27/09 at 6:14am
I'm just back from New York and won the lottery (on my first go!) for ITH. Outstanding show with great talent, and I'm really pleased to hear the possibility of a movie, I think it would work really well. one of the first things that I said on leaving the theatre is what a shame a. that UK musical theatre fans don't seem to know much about this one and b. that it would never transfer, even though I would love it too. I know many, many people who would like it, but I don't think they'd feel it had 'mass appeal', at least not until a movie release that was popular.
Re. the lack of latino actors in UK - there are some, they're just not household names! Plus what's almost more important is the rap and dance skills, seen recently in Into the Hoods, combined with fantastic singing...good luck to whoever would cast this one!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#17
Posted: 2/27/09 at 7:11am
INH leaves me cold, which is a good thing, so when I see it, I probably love it. Cannot see it coming over the Atlantic though, many good points raised in this thread why it won't and has added to my believe it won't.
Spotlight61
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...UK?#18
Posted: 3/1/09 at 3:19pm
I for one would like to see this show, I think the cast album is simply amazing.

Musing on how such theatre could be presented.Perhaps a way forward is for musical theatre productions to go on global/international tours. Similar to Mamma Mia, but get producers in each country to share in the production costs within the relevant visiting country. Theatre tickets would have to increase but people often pay extra for "event theatre".

Limit the run to maybe three months. Thereby minimising the potential for open ended box office disasters. If a success then schedule the production to revisit the country again at a later date.

As I say only a musing and by no means a well thought out or structured idea but at least it allows shows with a possible limited life expectancy to be seen in a defined period.
InigoMontoya2
Swing
Swing
re: In The Heights...UK?#19
Posted: 3/2/09 at 3:53pm
You don't necessarily need Latin Actors... accents can be taught. What you need is Puerto Rican-looking actors. Puerto Ricans are a mix of European, African, and Native American blood. Mixed-Race actors would do just fine. Go to the actual Washington Heights. The Puerto Ricans there look very similar to mixed-race and light-skinned black people of which we have plenty in London. Problem solved. (If you did it a la West Side Story with white people and white people with tans it wouldn't really be accurate.)
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: In The Heights...UK?#20
Posted: 3/2/09 at 4:05pm
You see, if they toured it I imagine they would take a fair number of the original/current company to keep the show as it was intended; hispanic made and for the hispanic audience.

I doubt Lin would be a fan of using a faux-Latin cast.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#21
Posted: 3/3/09 at 6:14pm
I do think that the idea of a faux Latin cast is a very bad idea.

With that, I think that one of the beauties of In The Heights on Broadway is that the actors look as if they were pulled off 184st. I think that is one of the beauties of the show that would be lost with a faux Latin cast.

I have also gotten the impression that West End shows need to open up with a "name" in order to sell tickets from the get go. i would think that if the show is good enough it wouldn't need a name. Tons of shows have opened on Broadway without a name to carry them and they have done very well.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
InigoMontoya2
Swing
Swing
re: In The Heights...UK?#22
Posted: 3/3/09 at 7:52pm
Well, all of the actors in the Broadway production are not Puerto Rican. Afra Hines, Rickey Tripp, Marcey Harriell and Marcus Paul James are all Black. A couple are Italian American, etc. So, I don't think it has to be a hard and fast rule. Just my opinon though.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: In The Heights...UK?#23
Posted: 3/3/09 at 11:55pm
But, Washington Heights is a mixture of Blacks and Hispanics, so it does work if not everyone in the cast is Hispanic. Washington Heights is not that far from Harlem which is why there is that mixture.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll