Page: 1

Gypsy of the Year

luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gypsy of the Year#1
Posted: 12/11/08 at 9:35am
Ok, this is gonna sound very uncultured of me but I just want a confirmation...what is Gypsy of the Year? lol!

I promise, I'm good with musicals and stuff but I'm not evry good with Broadway and stuff...so...what is it?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#2
Posted: 12/11/08 at 12:03pm
Gypsy of the Year is a fundraising period shows raise money and ends in a showcase performance of some sort (IIRC...may have that part confused with Easter Bonnet.)

A "Gypsy" btw is a performer who goes from ensemble to ensemble. There are many traditions associated with gypsy performers, and a number of them are shown in the documentary "Show Business: The Road to Broadway."
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#2
Posted: 12/11/08 at 1:46pm
re: Gypsy of the Year

I think its a coat of some kind that gets past from one gypsy to another? Most shows in a year or something???
Guess we better ask our friends across the pond!

Updated On: 12/11/08 at 01:46 PM
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#5
Posted: 12/11/08 at 3:52pm
Responding in links? That's the way to do it guys re: Gypsy of the Year
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#6
Posted: 12/11/08 at 5:06pm
Okay, let's have a bash...

A gypsy is a performer on Broadway, usually ensemble, swing, understudy.

The gypsy robe is an item of clothing that gets passed around from show to show. When a show reaches opening night, they are presented the robe in a ceremony, and the gypsy in the cast who has been in the most Broadway shows gets presented with it. The cast and crew of that show then add their own customised section, ready for the robe to be passed onto the next show. I sortof know the history of why, but not with enough details to make it interesting.

Gypsy of the Year appears to be a kind of variety show where the gypsies - and sometimes main cast! - perform skits, song parodies, that kinda thing. I guess it's something to do with fundraising (probably for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS), because awards are given out to the shows that have raised the most during the fundraising period. I guess the skits get awarded too, because there are judges actually at the show.

Am I on the right track? I'm just working from my brain here, I really can't be bothered digging out any links or books. XD
mikem Profile Photomikem Profile Photo
mikem
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#7
Posted: 12/11/08 at 11:05pm
The gypsy robe and Gypsy of the Year don't really have anything to do with each other. The gypsy robe is basically as Weez explained, and is discussed in more detail at http://www.actorsequity.org/AboutEquity/GypsyRobe/gypsyrobehome.asp .

Gypsy of the Year is the culmination of the winter fundraising season for the charity Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. During the six weeks prior to the 2 performances of the Gypsy of the Year show, different Broadway and other productions raise money for the charity, by having collections on the way out, selling autographed Playbills and posters, etc. (Daniel Radcliffe auctioned off the jeans he wore in that same night's show a few times, each time selling for around $1000.) At the end of the fundraising season, some of the shows put on skits/song parodies/etc in a show entitled, "Gypsy of the Year." Many of the skits are humorous, but they do not have to be and some are not. Tickets are sold for the show on behalf of the charity, and the show is given twice in a Broadway theater (this one was at the New Amsterdam, where Mary Poppins is playing). At the end of the second performance, it is announced which shows raised the most, and also awards are given for the best skits. This past fundraising season raised over $3 million for Broadway Cares.

The Easter Bonnet is the same basic idea, except in the spring, culminating in early April. At the Easter Bonnet show, in addition to putting on a skit, the shows also have to make a silly, elaborate hat (the "Easter Bonnet"). An additional prize for the best Easter Bonnet hat is given as well. Although there may have been historical differences between the Gypsy of the Year show and the Easter Bonnet show, except for the silly hat, I haven't noticed a lot of differences in the recent shows. There doesn't seem to be any more emphasis on show "gypsies" in the Gypsy of the Year show than in the Easter Bonnet show. In both shows, the "stars" can participate if they wish -- a lot of them do, either in the skits, or as celebrity presenters of the skits or celebrity judges.

Let me know if you have any questions.
"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Winston3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Gypsy of the Year#8
Posted: 12/11/08 at 11:11pm
Weez, your on the right track. But, let me just add a little more to what you said. During the gypsy robe ceremony (that is done on opening night of a show) the ensemble member or Gypsy with the most ensemble credits gets the robe and puts it on. They then goes around in a circle three times and everyone touches it. After that they visit every room backstage with it on. The tridation with this is that the show will be blessed.

Gypsy of the year is a fundraiser for Broadway Cares. All of the shows do a skit. The skit is usually the show parodying themselves. For example one year Wicked had Eden Espinosa and Megan Hilty use a song form wicked to parody the crazy fans. I remember being outside the stage door area waiting for Tale Of Two Cities to start and heard one cast member singing to another lyrics that he wrote for their Gypsy of the year song. They were going to do (I think they did because all shows of the season even the ones that closed participate) At The End Of The Day to make fun of people comparing them to Les Miserables etc etc. These are just two examples of the kinds of things that are done at The Gypsy Of The Year. And yes, there are judges there to determine which show had the best skit.
Goodbye Sister Disco
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#9
Posted: 12/11/08 at 11:11pm
mamasdoingwickedfine2, your picture is wrong. The Gypsy Robe Ceremony was Monday.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#10
Posted: 12/13/08 at 11:48pm
Oh grow up will you.
I know its an old poster -its last years-I just posted it here for an example!
Not sure why you keep having to bring in the Wickedboy name every time- EVERYONE on here knows who i am /was and your just showing what an idiot you are every time you post here!
Stay in New York!

Updated On: 12/13/08 at 11:48 PM
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#11
Posted: 12/14/08 at 12:52am
umm. I'm in New York.
But I'm on the WWW. Which is World Wide.

I don't bring it up in every post.
But somehow, New York and/or American comes up in every one of yours.
Oh, and also... I never used WickedBoy. It was Mamsdoinwickedfine2. There's a difference.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 12/14/08 at 12:52 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#12
Posted: 12/14/08 at 9:53am
As i said 'grow up'!
As it happens I'm in New York until 2mrw- wanna meet for coffeee!
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#13
Posted: 12/14/08 at 11:27pm
awww, did you get a warmer welcome this time?

Now is that a question? Because you just have an explanation mark.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gypsy of the Year#14
Posted: 12/15/08 at 9:10am
So all knowing one, contributes nothing but hate.
What is an explanation mark?
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#15
Posted: 12/15/08 at 3:51pm
Jaqs...

!

that is an explanation mark.
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Gypsy of the Year#16
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:53pm
Um, actually, a ! is an EXCLAMATION mark, not an explanation mark. An explanation and an exclamation are totally different. For example, an explanation is "a statement or account that makes something clear", whilst an exclamation is "a sudden cry or remark, esp. expressing surprise, anger, or pain". An Exclamation mark is "a punctuation mark (!) indicating an exclamation.". An Explanation mark, on the other hand, doesn't exist. At least not in the Roman Alphabet's Punctuation system.
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy of the Year#17
Posted: 12/15/08 at 7:53pm
Makes sense...