Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Now booking on Delfont Mackintosh site.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh well, at least it's got Julia Hills in it. My God, I miss 2 Point 4 Children. I stood very close to Belinda Lang at the GWAPE 'do'. She looked lovely.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So Avenue Q is closing 28th March!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Earlier, I'd think - The first day of sales for Calendar Girls is 4 April which would only give them a week to load out AveQ, load in CG, and run tech. I'd expect a closing announcement for right after Valentine's Day.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its already posted closing notices, 28 March
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wasn't that the planned end of the booking period? I'm honestly not sure of the logistics: can they turn the theatre around *and* run tech rehearsal for CG in 7 days? If not then AveQ will have to close earlier.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
is Calendar Girls a musical?
It's so sad that Avenue Q is closing re: Calender Girls replaces Avenue Q at Noel Coward what have sales been like as of late? Any chance it might transfer, or is it me just wishfully thinking?
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Straight play adapted from a film by the original scriptwriter. I want to say this ran in NYC recently...
Calendar Girls info @ DelMac
Boybooshka Profile PhotoBoybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Will be sad to see Avenue Q go, what are the chances of it touring, wasn't there rumors of it doing so last year?

Glad of the opportunity to see Calender Girls though, tickets are like gold dust for it's week at The Lowry up ere. Can imagine it doing quite well down in the big smoke.
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm gutted re: Calender Girls replaces Avenue Q at Noel Coward But I suppose I can be happy that the Q did better than expected in the West End. Still, it's such a shame that it's leaving. I desperately want to see it one last time before it leaves!
Everything in life...is only for now.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Calender Girls replaces Avenue Q at Noel Coward

HAHA! Look at Sian Phillips's cream buns! -I love this picture!

The Avenue Q company have know it was in its last months for a while now tho Cameron was going to run it until a new show came along.
'Calendar Girls' wanted the Comedy for this November but things fell thru. Thats the reason for the tour continuing in the new year before hitting town.
Don't forget this is London and we don't have gaps of 6 to 9 mths to get a new show in to our theatres -thank GOD!!!!. For 'Avenue Q' to close on the 28th March and the new show to open 7 days later is normal for London. 'Calendar Girls' will be trimmed to fit the Coward in those final six weeks of touring so the get-in at The Coward will be very simple.
I'm seeing it in Richmond in a few weeks- I can't wait. This is gonna be huge- it already is a sell out on the tour.
Great to see a good cause benefiting from its success too.

Updated On: 10/17/08 at 03:57 PM
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I really hope Avenue Q tours.
Good that something original is going it though.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love that photograph as well but I saw the play last week on its home territory and I was disappointed.

I booked about six weeks in advance and got the last three seats together in the stalls, so anticipation was running high in Bradford. And on the night the theatre was packed, the foyer was decked out with bunting and fund-raising stuff, some of the real Calendar Girls were there, and it was one of those nights where you recognised loads of people in the audience so there was a great atmosphere. With the references in the script to the "vicar's daughter gone bad", I was delighted to spot a vicar's wife I knew in the audience, giving me the opportunity to turn around and shout "So are you the vicar's wife gone bad?" to which I got the response "No - but my daughter went to see Equus!".

Then the melancholic and undistinguished keyboard music started playing and the play started. And I was reminded throughout the evening of what Exedore wrote about Our House: cringeworthy! I'd forgotten about the father/son stuff in Our House but I was reminded of it again here (Tim Firth wrote the scripts for both). The first thing they try to establish is that the dying husband is a great guy. But you only know he's great because the women tell each other (and you) that he is. And there are pregnant pauses where you're not sure what you are supposed to be concluding. But then Patricia Hodge starts crying so you realise you're probably supposed to feel sad at this point.

But then there's the fun stuff that's in the film: The M&S cake gets entered in the baking competition; the bored-at-the-WI jokes are funny; the idea occurs, and the photography sequence concluding Act I is brilliant. At this point the play is absolutely begging for a decent score, as that sequence is superbly staged and very much lends itself to a musical theatre climax. The audience is having a brilliant time as we queue for our interval magnums.

And then Act II is like the start: mawkish, thin and directionless. Shall it be a play about failing friendships or adulterous husbands or commercial exploitation or the pressure of fame. Or maybe it will be a little bit of everything and not much of anything. Actors stand around the door to the village hall in a U shape whilst the absent party makes an entrance. If they're waving their hands in the air it means they're frustrated. If they're covering their face with their hands it means they're sad. Then there's a group hug. This is directing-by-numbers. I could do better myself and wtf do I know?

And so the play that has the audience on such a high at the end of Act I completely loses it in Act II and is greeted with polite, restrained applause.

A missed opportunity - the author and director need to sit through Billy Elliot to learn how to do a screen-to-stage adaption with imagination and creativity.

Updated On: 10/17/08 at 06:40 PM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Skripps, thanks! Its great to read reviews like this, heartfelt and honest as it kind of levels out the excitement about a highly anticipated new show coming in as they don't always live up to what we expect of them.
I hope 'Enjoy' gets the same kind of advance publicity that 'Girls' is/will get. That is a production that is stellar - and one you have seen and enjoyed already.
I still cant believe how many people I know who are talking about 'Calendar Girls-THE MUSICAL' coming to the West End!

Updated On: 10/17/08 at 10:06 PM
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i honestly think if theu turned this into a musical it would ruin it. i dont know why, its just one of those gut feelings i have.

its at the lowry next week, so i'll be watching one night for sure, and its only restrcted view seats left here too with those swiftly disappearing so theyre playing to 1500 a night and it looks set to be a very good week for them here!
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The tour is already rebooked for the Lowry next March, one of its last stops prior to London!
Updated On: 10/18/08 at 12:12 PM
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
indeed it is mama! and advance sales for that after only a week are looking pretty good.... i imagine it will be rather full again after next week if the audience are impressed.

All the WI bookers may drive me insine but hey ho if it pays my wages then i'm happy haha.

and i honestly can't wait to see it!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do they bring nice cream cakes for you?
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i wish! Although I have had people asking me if they can bring their own refreshments with them! so we shall see!

Cream cakes all round it is.

photo report to follow haha
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL
Carefull- you wont be tommy 'slim' anymore!
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
haha but when the sweet tooth prevails i just cannot resist.... especially if some cute old dear offers me one of her sticky buns...
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At the Bradford Alhambra last week...

Auntie Enid: There's a lot of Womens' Institute types here.

Auntie Jean: Aye, and they're all miffed 'cos they didn't get to be in the calendar.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you, Miss October!!!
lol