Hairspray: School Musical

AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hairspray: School Musical#1
Posted: 8/31/08 at 2:02pm
Just started on Sky One (I believe the performance is tonight), it already looks like an X Factor format...but I'll watch anyway. Anyone-else watching?
Everything in life...is only for now.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#2
Posted: 8/31/08 at 2:10pm
The dad was in london yesterday, and said there was a marquis and photos and stuff up for it at one of the theatres just down from The Queens Theatre...
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#2
Posted: 8/31/08 at 2:34pm
Its being performed at The Lyric tonight!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#3
Posted: 8/31/08 at 2:37pm
That was my guess, but the folks arent up on the names of theatres bless em, its more of a you know that one where...um whats it..erm, oh yeh the one thats next to Wicked.etc etc!

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#4
Posted: 8/31/08 at 3:06pm
Ok, just watched the episode.

Have to say, some of them surprised me. They were pretty awesome for their age (considering they weren't in a drama school).

Others, were just not good enough...but I guess got put through because they were low on numbers or something.

That 'Billy' guy didn't have a good enough voice for it what so ever, it was an ok pop voice (in the sense he could just sing acoustic style band music and not belting or reaching beyond a small range) but he got through because he was good looking.

Won't lie here, I would (don't worry I'm not an old man) re: Hairspray: School Musical but he is getting through based entirely on his looks which I'm guessing will become an issue next episode (the voice over said everyone was talking about him).

You can kind of already see exactly who people will be. That black girl with the strong voice will be Motormouth, that guy with longish brown hair will be Link, the Billie Jean' girl will be tracy, the girl who was an awesome dancer will be Inez...that campish bigger guy with the 'showbiz name' will be Edna...the blonde sister will be Amber.

It was an ok show for what it was, but I was going insane with the 'dramatic' and 'emotional' music playing before/after the auditions. How many times can Leona Lewis/S Club 7 be repeated in one hour?

Ugh.
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#5
Posted: 8/31/08 at 4:36pm
Haha taboo you are so true on a lot of things, all the sad music undertoning, then the big key change when they get through!! although some of your casting is wrong...! i think its nice to see a few shining stars through it though, its a programme thats worthwhile and giving kids a chance, even if i am a bit jealous of the kids *secretly wishes they dcided to do it with middle classed, grammar school kids*
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#6
Posted: 8/31/08 at 4:46pm
I wish they had done this at my school. Well, the talent would have been mediocre and the drama would have been stupendous...so maybe its a good thing they didn't.

Is this production actually the first of its kind by the way? I've seen clips of school productions on youtube before...so either they were illegal or this school edition is a new invention? It's confusing.

Seems kind of weird that they're doing it HERE first. Why not America? Surely they need to boost tickets more than us seeing as its been going on longer on Broadway?

I might not be making sense, I'm currently watching the end of the Edinburgh Fringe firework display whilst typing haha.
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#7
Posted: 8/31/08 at 5:14pm
Hairspray: Schools Edition was trialled in America last summer at a summer camp, where producers from Hairspray broadway went and actually helped out and oversaw it i think...dont quote me on that, so i believe after the first one it went on to be licensed.
This is the first schools production in the UK (legally) and i think like the americans, its a way of trialling it and also getting it in the public eye..i wouldbt be surprised if it was released through MTI or whatever pretty soon after this.
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Hairspray: School Musical#8
Posted: 8/31/08 at 5:14pm
I was also thinking that I wished they had done this at my old secondary school, but then i realised it would just be a stage full of chavs smoking pot!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#9
Posted: 8/31/08 at 5:16pm
This is great news.

It makes me wish I was in school still re: Hairspray: School Musical

Last year I was in charge of the Sixth Form Musical...and I would have LOVED to do Hairspray.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#10
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:03pm
What kind of mother is gonna let her kid drag up as Edna at school? lol
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#11
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:05pm
A stage mum re: Hairspray: School Musical
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#12
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:10pm
Come to think of it my mum! Hahaha! She say me doing panto dame when i was 18 or 19. That she took in her stride! BUT when i did 'Rocky Horror' her comment in the dressing room after the opening night was 'well it was OK- but if there had been an interval I would have left!!!' She didn't see the show again in its 12 week run! Bless!
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#13
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:18pm
Awh i do love mums! Ive been going through the Chorus Line recording with my mum so shes not too surprised by it when she comes to see it. Her comment to me on hearing Gimme The Ball:
i take it its not suitable for your 10year old sister then..?

what part did you do in Rocky Horror wickedboy, and please god is there pictures...?
Anon2 Profile PhotoAnon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#14
Posted: 8/31/08 at 6:22pm
I Think The pictures are banned in the UK....
**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Hairspray: School Musical#15
Posted: 8/31/08 at 7:14pm
well, we can live in hope!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#16
Posted: 9/1/08 at 2:17pm
Yeah, it was okay, nothing special.

Just why on earth was Miss Van Outen teaching them 'Valerie'?? So random!
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#17
Posted: 9/1/08 at 2:19pm
It's another cringey attempt at older generations trying to be 'hip' and down with the kids I feel.

singingadream
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Hairspray: School Musical#18
Posted: 9/1/08 at 4:34pm
The format of the show is a little well odd.
It's very predictable on what the casting will be.
Most of the 'auditions' made me cringe, even the ones that were 'amazing'.

On another note, the performance by the hairspray cast it was lip synched wasn't it? [either that or its been dubbed or something]
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#19
Posted: 9/1/08 at 4:40pm
I was wondering that too!

It just had a certain tone that sounded un-live.

Kind of seemed like they had microphones that weren't attached to them...so when they moved away from them, their voices died slightly.

I don't think the performance was polished enough to really be lip-synced, but it did seem a bit...different.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#20
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:18pm
OOOK, just watched the new episode.

I could barely make it through the cringey audition process, the inspirational key change of the music as soon as they got the part (or didn't) was painful.

Alas, they just cast the parts. Can't actually remember any of their names, but basically everyone you'd expect to get the parts...did. They couldn't decide between two guys for Seaweed, so next week they're having a face off haha.

Oh, they cast this dude for Link (not the hot popular one, surprise) who can't sing...so looks like they're replacing him next week for the hot popular one. Scandalous.

It was a nice idea to go for the underdog, but that only works if they're more talented...haha...
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hairspray: School Musical#21
Posted: 9/7/08 at 3:20pm
I want to see what the kid thats playing Edna looks like!
Post a pic someone please!
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#22
Posted: 9/7/08 at 4:21pm
I can't find any pictures of them, but on the website they have a box for 'the cast' (although it doesn't actually list the cast, just the 'hopefuls') but there are two people on the box, the girl is Tracy (yes she's Asian I think they said?) and the guy to her right is Sean, and he's Edna.

turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#23
Posted: 9/7/08 at 4:34pm
The girl playing Tracy is Turkish (but born and raised in England)
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hairspray: School Musical#24
Posted: 9/7/08 at 4:55pm
Damn, I wanted Francessco to get it but looks like that Billy kid will now.

Haha, I can't believe I'm taking this seriously!