Who is Jennifer Ellison?

broadwayboy101
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Who is Jennifer Ellison?#1
Posted: 8/24/08 at 1:01am
I heard she was cast as Elle in Legally Blonde on the West End, but I've never heard of her before...anyone have a clue who she is?

PS It's on wikipedia, I know, but since it's someone I've never heard of I figured it might have some merit.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#2
Posted: 8/24/08 at 4:19am
She got a high profile early on in her career playing a white-trash teenager in a TV soap (Brookside). She was then a take-over Roxie in the London production of Chicago and also played Christine's friend Meg in the film of Phantom of the Opera.

Legally Blonde is a musical that didn't interest me but she's probably ideal and I'd certainly be tempted to go see her in it.

At least it isn't going to be Denise Van Outen.
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#2
Posted: 8/24/08 at 4:51am
I know this probabbly isn't true, espicially considering the source!

But, she would actually be VERY good!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#3
Posted: 8/24/08 at 6:00am
1. She doesn't have a strong enough voice.

2. The fact she can't do accents may kill me slowly.

Look wise, sure.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#4
Posted: 8/24/08 at 6:50am
I think her voice can cope with it, and it isnt hard to learn accents if you have the right coach!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#5
Posted: 8/24/08 at 8:24am
I think they are just bouncing names around wikepedia at the mo (Kerry Ellis anyone)

The casting sheets for LB clearly state that one of the people they are looking for is Elle Woods
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#6
Posted: 8/24/08 at 9:31am
Well of course, wikipedia is a VERY reliable source, and i think we should all take it more seriously!!!!! After all, it is only updated by professionals!!
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#7
Posted: 8/24/08 at 10:13am
I thought she was alright actually in the 'Phantom' movie, though I didn't really think much of it as a whole anyway.
Everything in life...is only for now.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#8
Posted: 8/24/08 at 5:42pm
She's an ok performer, but in no way could she handle Elle Woods. It's such an intense role.

Her accent is incredibly strong, and she has said in interviews that she found it really hard to shift it for Phantom, I'm guessing if she can't do English without sounding a bit off...American will be painful to hear.

They wouldn't go down this road anyway for the production, it will be Laura Bell Bundy or someone equal to her standard seeing as the Broadway team will be be part of the West End Production.

I'm still firmly convinced that getting LBB to take the helm for the first 6 months is the best idea, then let a great up and coming actress take over.
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#9
Posted: 8/24/08 at 10:31pm
Just stage she show in England and send her to Oxford rather than Harvard, lol.

But seriously, watching the phantom movie the other day, I much prefered her voice to Christine's. but i dont think she has a leading lady's voice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#10
Posted: 8/24/08 at 10:31pm
It wouldn't be much of a shocker if they bring Laura Bell Bundy over to do the role.

They can always have a reality show on MTV UK to figure out who the replacement would be lol.

But, it looks like you guys might be getting the sets from Broadway. Before songanddanceman jumps at me, for being one of the many people who are calling the death of this show let me just back up what I am saying.

All signs are pointing to The Palace as the home of the West Side Story revival. Legally Blonde is doing OK. But, it is up in the air as to how well it will do in the winter months. I think that they are going to quit while they are ahead. They are going to close the show while it is still profitable but not wait till the point of them loosing all their money.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#11
Posted: 8/25/08 at 6:15am
Even if Blonde does come out of the Palace, the broadway sets would be to big for over here so i doubt they would come over

I also think that WSS will take the Palace, but i dont think LB will shut if its grosses remain high and it stays in the top 10 selling shows
figgy1978
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#12
Posted: 8/25/08 at 12:21pm
"They wouldn't go down this road anyway for the production, it will be Laura Bell Bundy or someone equal to her standard seeing as the Broadway team will be be part of the West End Production."

Nobody knows who Laura Bell Bundy is in the UK. They are more likely who will attract people.
figgy1978
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#13
Posted: 8/25/08 at 12:21pm
"They wouldn't go down this road anyway for the production, it will be Laura Bell Bundy or someone equal to her standard seeing as the Broadway team will be be part of the West End Production."

Nobody knows who Laura Bell Bundy is in the UK. They are more likely who will attract people.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#14
Posted: 8/25/08 at 12:38pm
Be fair; in the UK, no one really knew who Idina Menzel was, did they? They still brought her open to start up 'Wicked'.
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#15
Posted: 8/25/08 at 1:37pm
That's true, and (in terms of musical) look how big Idina Menzel is over here now! (dont know if that's a good thing) And it's not as if people of Britian have never seen LBB, after all, she was in Jimanji, although, she was 14, and she must have had her nose fixed since then!
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#16
Posted: 8/25/08 at 2:25pm
Songanddnaceman, The people doing West Side Story wouldn't set up an out of town try out without knowing where they are going to land on Broadway. It would just be a stupid move otherwise.

Legally Blonde is doing just okay at the moment. Yes as of right now it is placed tenth in the top ten grossing shows of the week. But, I can't see that lasting. I think the producers know that. I think that the fact that they haven't recouped yet is part of the factor as to why it is closing soon. I think that they aren't happy that they are playing this long and have the grosses that they do and that they haven't recouped yet.

I am sure it is all set up that Blonde is going out of the Palace and is going to make room for West Side. Like I said, They wouldn't set up an out of town try out without knowing where they are going to be when they come to Broadway.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#17
Posted: 8/25/08 at 5:35pm
Does Legally Blonde really need a 'name' to sell the show?

Just market it like hell.

If LBB doesn't bring in enough people, by all means invite in a 'name'.

They're more likely to say yes if the show turns out to be a success, rather than risking their rep on a possible flop.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#18
Posted: 8/25/08 at 7:31pm
Winston READ MY POSTS grrrrr

I said WSS Probably will take the Palace but i dont think that LB will close in NY
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#19
Posted: 8/26/08 at 1:00am
Where is is Legally Blonde going to play. They can't afford to play anywhere else other then the palace because they can't afford to move. And, considering the many articles that state that Broadway shows are not continuing on the road to Broadway due to lack of theatres, I doubt that Legally Blonde is going to move anywhere.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#20
Posted: 8/26/08 at 7:46am
Winston the show is making a LOT of money and always heading over its weekly nut so could easily afford the move if a theatre is available, at the moment nobody can say if a theatre will be free or not, not with the September slump heading.

Im not saying im 100 percent sure it will move, but for a show which broadcast the show on TV, Had its own reality show etc and has a new leading lady who is pulling in over 700.000 dollars a week for the show i can't help thinking that LB will again have something up its sleeve
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#21
Posted: 8/26/08 at 9:25am
If it was as successful as you are making it out to be, it would have recouped by now. The reality show was a last ditch effort to drum up ticket sales for the show. The producers weren't happy when there were still discounts available due to the show not selling out post reality show.

With the numbers the way that they are, the show would be fine to stay open if NYC was full of tourists year round. However, it isn't and this show really can't live through another fall slump. I think the producers are going to realize that even though they had a good run on Broadway, they aren't really going to go any further in terms of making more money or recouping. So, they are going to quit while they are ahead and close the show.
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#22
Posted: 8/26/08 at 10:48am
Maybe I'm being naive here, but how much can moving into a new theatre cost?!

I realize it wouldn't be cheap, but surely by doing that it prolongs their run and therefore gives them more money? So, the initial cost aside...its a good move, no?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#23
Posted: 8/26/08 at 11:31am
Winston its only this week in ages its figures have dropped AS HAVE ALL SHOWS and its still made over $700.000 in a week.

You honestly think anyone would think that any show would sell out at the Place....It's a barn of a theatre.

And we have no idea how close Blonde is to recouping (sometimes we don't even find out until the figures are printed at the end of the theatre year)

With box office pushing $40 million (that was months ago) it wont be far off.
As for the reality show helping, once Bailey went in and even before that whilst the TV show was on the figures were steady and rising
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?#24
Posted: 8/26/08 at 12:23pm
Would it be terrifically inappropriate to invite all those concerned to unzip their trousers while I fetch a measuring tape so we can solve this argument once and for all? re: Who is Jennifer Ellison?