Page: 1

New York New York

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York New York#1
Posted: 8/19/08 at 2:02pm
Alright all of you are cultured on here.

But are you well travelled, I know some of you are anbd like me love going to New York.

But what I want to find out thought is, how much do you pay for a hotel a night? Any good tips where to stay for cheap? Any other tips like staying out of town (off mahattan)cheap, with the ability to get into New york fast?
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New York New York#2
Posted: 8/19/08 at 6:20pm
Last two times I went, I searched cheap hotels generally online. I've stayed at the Washington and the Portland Square. Basic, very basic, but serviceable. Roof over your head, mattress under your back, locking doors, somewhere to pee. But next time I go, I'm travelling light and hitting a hostel. I've checked prices; I can stay for a week for less than 100 if I hostel. Marvellous!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New York New York#2
Posted: 8/19/08 at 9:26pm
Nice one Weez!

First time I went to New York in 2005, I stayed in a hostel on 103st W, it was vey basic with a single bed that had a metal frame, think it was called Jazz in the Park, it cost about 30 a night with a bagel breakfast thrown in.

I saw The Producers, Fiddler on the Roof and Beauty and the Beast.

A poor hotel costs about 100 a night and airfare about 300, so if you stay for 3 nights, you are looking at nearly 300 a show, with other costs thrown in.
autopilot2
Understudy
Understudy
re: New York New York#3
Posted: 8/22/08 at 4:16am
I just spent a week in New York and used craigslist.org for a sublet. It was cheaper than a hotel, but not as cheap as a hostel, and was an absolutely beautiful apartment, I had to myself, right in the heart of the West Village (which was where I wanted to stay in the first place.

Definitely worth a look if you have the time to organise it that way - just make sure you hand over money in person...
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New York New York#4
Posted: 8/22/08 at 8:57am
For the past few years I've stayed at the Herald Square hotel each time I've been in New York. It's really cheap for New York -the rooms are small and basic but comfortable and it's in a great location on West 31st St off 6th Avenue (15 minute walk to Times Square; 5 minute walk to Penn Station, which is great for me as I always fly into Newark and take the train from the airport to Penn Station for just $15). I've booked for 3 nights there in October for just $115 a night for a single room including taxes - 61 at the current exchange rate.) I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to save on spending but still have somewhere reasonably decent.
http://www.heraldsquarehotel.com/
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 8/25/08 at 08:57 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New York New York#5
Posted: 8/25/08 at 7:27pm
Well to my shock, I thought a few of you theatre fans were frugal.

Did not realise so many of you turned left when you boarded an aircraft, then to be pampered with ***** luxury when you are at your final destination.

I'm going to have non of it when you moan about programmes going up in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New York New York#6
Posted: 8/25/08 at 7:29pm
I stay with my family for free lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New York New York#7
Posted: 8/27/08 at 4:10am
I also stayed in the Herald Square hotel-though it was about 3 years ago now. It was basic (and small) but perfrectly adequate considering I didn't spend too much time in the room anyway.

That was actually my super-economy trip-I took the train from Montreal and thought I was never getting off the damn thing!!

Usually I pay about 100-150 a night (sharing room) flights vary but no more than 500. I found last time (April) booking direct with BA was a lot cheaper than getting a hotel/flight deal from expedia etc.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New York New York#8
Posted: 9/3/08 at 6:17pm
No one got more tips for me????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That was a question by the way!!!!!!!
A Fleur De Toi Profile PhotoA Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: New York New York#9
Posted: 9/3/08 at 11:54pm
I stayed in Big Apple Hostel for 20 dollars a night. It's an extremely great location, three minutes to Times' Square, which means you can stay out really late, or grab a drink after a show!

Rooms are clean, basic, communal bathrooms, free wi-fi. It looks seedy from the outside, but it really isnt. Give it a try if you wanna save some cash for more shows :P
In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!