Rocky Horror Remake is being released here...

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
A remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show is to be made by Sky Movies in partnership with Fox TV Studios, MTV and BermanBraun.

Lou Adler, who executive produced the original 1975 film version of Richard O'Brien's stage production, has signed on as executive producer on the remake. O'Brien will serve as co-producer alongside Jim Sharman, co-writer of the original film's screenplay.

"The Rocky Horror phenomenon has a life of its own that has reincarnated itself in numerous ways since its birth," said Adler. "Our hope has always been that each new endeavour and rebirth will expose the Rocky Horror Experience to new audiences and expand the fan base. Those new fans and old alike will return to the original film to enjoy and participate with the exceptional and timeless performances of Tim Curry, Richard O'Brien, Susan Sarandon and the entire cast. So here we go again, with a new cast, believing that the Sky and MTV remake will add to the Rocky Horror phenomenon..."

Cast and director for the remake have yet to be confirmed. The film will have its UK premiere exclusively on Sky Movies.

"Rocky Horror is a global phenomenon with millions of devoted fans around the world," said Ian Lewis, director of Sky Movies and Sky Box Office. "An opportunity to update the show for the 21st Century, while keeping many of the elements that made it such a success in the first place was therefore just too good to pass by. Were very excited to be bringing this exclusively to Sky customers in the UK."

I'm kind of surprised we'd get it before the US.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wish it wasnt coming at all
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
AvenueQResident Profile PhotoAvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
It worries me that all these big companies being involved confirm this is happening.
Everything in life...is only for now.
legally_wicked
Stand-by
Stand-by
Ugh remakes are bad.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
It doesn't mean we are getting it before the US, it means in the UK you will only see it on Sky Movies.
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well it kind of does...

If they say 'exclusively to sky movies customers in the UK', surely that means that because there's no mention of the US...it's going to be a UK cast and premiered here? I don't know.

Plus, 'SKY' isn't an American company (to my knowledge).

Seems a bit bizarre that their efforts are being pointed towards the UK audience...do we have more of a cult following here than the US or something?
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
In the UK it will be exclusive to Sky customers is a better way of saying what they mean, or maybe some extra punctuation. In the USA it is on MTV.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
Well Richard O'Brien has gone very public in saying that it doesn't have anything to do with him, and that it doesn't have his blessing. Not surprising since he was purportedly effectively cheated out of the rights.

But it does sound like it will be premiered on the very limited Sky channel. Not inappropriate given the fact that it is British. But the very much larger American market does make that surprising I suppose.
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
YAWN!!!!!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
it shouldnt be touched.
its ridicolous. i have no support whatsoever for this inevitable piece of ****.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jim Sharman has just released his autobigraphy here (Australia), which has been warmly received by critics. I'll check for the title and post here shortly.
Suzie_Sequin Profile PhotoSuzie_Sequin Profile Photo
Suzie_Sequin
Swing
Swing
There's been talk of a remake for years and what always happens, is that a new version of the dvd is released quite soon after. Perhaps, the blu-ray version is coming out? I dunno, but this has been about for a while, I think the first time I heard of a remake was back in 2003. Time will tell!
xx
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Louise hiiiiiiiiiiiiii

It is happening this time im afraid, casting calls went out on Monday for this film which will premiere on sky movies before going to DVD (though it could get a limited US theatrical release)
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
The shame, although it would still ruffle the feathers of those who just never like their comfort zones disturbed, is that Rocky Horror done again really well, could have been a big success in wide release. But although I don't like to presume, second rate tut is going to do no favours for anything.

No doubt will still buy the dvd (since don't get Sky), though, assuming it comes out before Sky demote it to their freeview channel, if only from curiosity.
Updated On: 8/20/08 at 09:49 AM
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know what to think about this...
The Original movie of Rocky Horror is legendary, so if they make the 2008 version similar to the original then it will never live up to it so fail entirely. However if they completely revamp it (which is possible as Rocky Horror is very versatile) like they did for the Revival production, then it might actually work, because it would possibly seen as a totally different film, and never be compared to the original. I would love to see a more modern version (Like the 2000 one) on-screen, but no doubt this will not happen, and it will just be a rip-off of the original. Damned remakes!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Maybe Chris Biggins can step out of the chorus of the original and play Eddie!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rocky Horror Remake is being released here...

I've such fond memories of seeing the original film at the old Baker Street Classic Cinema on so many late Friday and Saturday screenings in the 80s I wouldn't go near a remake for M.
It always played on a double bill (remember them if your over 25!) wherever it was screened across the UK with 'Young Frankenstein'
Making it the 'original' Science Fiction Double Feature!

Updated On: 8/21/08 at 01:10 AM
Suzie_Sequin
Swing
Swing
I think it could work if they don't try to re-create the original as the success of the original happened by chance and therefore, the success is something you cannot pinpoint to one particular thing. If they put the latest UK tour (with David Bedella) on film, that would work, as that tour was bringing the show back to the 1973 stage production and not trying to re-create the film on stage!

I'm interested though, it'll be worth a watch! Russell Brand has been rumoured to play Frank, but noooooooooo! I'd like to see Wayne Brady (from 'Whose Line') playing Frank, he'd be amazing!

*waves at craig!*

xx

Updated On: 8/21/08 at 05:36 AM
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would die if Russell Brand was Frank! I HATE that guy with a PASSION! lol! I personally hope they get an unknown for Frank, might be nice to get some new talent, but the odds are they'll get some celebrity just to give money a boost. Who is making it then? Is it being made by Sky, or MTV and being shown in the UK on Sky? I don't have Sky so won't be able to watch it, although I too am interested to see what they do with it. But it will NOT work if they try to re-create the original, as Suzie_Sequin said.
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Suzie_Sequin
Swing
Swing
It's being made by MTV, along with Lou Adler, Richard was rumoured to be on hand producing it, but he's told a friend of mine that he's not (the reasoning behind that is a whole other story! haha!)
xx
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If its being made by MTV can we expect an American cast? If so I can see them attempting to get Jack Black as Eddie; anyone else think he might be good?
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Louise is the expert on Rocky Horror

she is in a pretty famous Rocky Horror Floor Show which tours the UK a lot.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Richard was rumoured to be on hand producing it, but he's told a friend of mine that he's not (the reasoning behind that is a whole other story! haha!)

Well, I'm sitting comfortably... re: Rocky Horror Remake is being released here...

I think the bungling reports over whether Richard O'Brien was to be involved or not has soured fan's opinions of the remake (perhaps unfairly) - I was quite looking forward to a remake when it was reported he was at the helm. Now I'm not so sure...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Rocky Horror Remake is being released here...

The productions that have been seen in the UK and the West End in the last 15-20 years have been as far from the original London as is possible. I saw the original production in its final months in 1980 at The Comedy theatre and it is was a whole different set up than it is know as today. The original had no audience participation and was played 'straight'. Audience participppppatiiiion only started with the release of the movie and grew from there. The latest productions that appeared from around 1990 are staged fully with audience participation in mind. The first national tour from the Theatre Royal Henley was staged for participation but only grew after a few weeks touring and by the time that tour closed in the mid /late 1980s it was a record breaking monster but always stayed true to the original. The latest ones have always had elaborate sets etc which isn't the real 'Rocky'- it was original performed in front of an old cinema screen. Richard O'Brien has often mumbled his dislikee of the latest shows despite himself appearing in a few seasons!

Updated On: 8/21/08 at 01:44 PM
Suzie_Sequin
Swing
Swing
Actually Richard was heavily involved with the last Uk tour, starring David Bedella. Richard and Christopher Luscombe worked closely together to take the show back to its darker roots. He didn't like the Big 30 tour however!

Yes there is AP involved in the stage show now, as it transgressed over from the film (where AP started at the roxy cinema back in the day, only when the film came out, as the audience wanted something to do in the long pauses in the film!) The original stage show was in the royal court theatre upstairs (only holding 60 or so people), and the cast doubled up as ushers but wearing blank white face masks to hide themselves so when they appeared in the show, it was still a surprise to what they looked like etc. I think it was only Richard, Pat and Nell to do this, however I may be wrong on that point. They had sets, but very basic due to the size of the stage and the lack of money! The original production then moved to kings road before closing, and then the roxy cast performed in 1974 and then the movie came along in 1975, then the rest is history! It's had a very varied life!

The current stage shows do expect AP, as AP is now a fully fledged (sometimes unfortunate) part of Rocky. Certain tours, eg. Big 30 tour worked in a slightly panto style way with Frank breaking from the story to interact with the audience, whereas the latest tour left certain spaces for the AP lines but it did not distract the flow of the story.

Hanley tour? *laughs* That was funny, so panto - anyone seen pics of the costumes!! That was the tour David Ian was in (owner of Live Nation!), hilarious!

Blimey, I'll stop now, I've got sore fingers from all this typing!
xx

Page: 1