musicalkid Profile Photomusicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Mercury musicals (mmd) info?#1
Posted: 4/23/08 at 6:00pm
hi all,
i'm inquiring about Mercury musicals.

i'm considering joining them as a writer and would like to know more, from anyone who's a member or knows something....

what activities and events do they hold?
How frequent are their meetings?
Is it similar to the NYC BMI workshop or something?

their website is not really abundant with info

thanks alot.
Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/
Updated On: 4/23/08 at 06:00 PM
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mercury musicals (mmd) info?#2
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:07am
Hey.

I'm not a member, although I have contacted them and have to send them some more of my work. They hold workshops, readings, retreats, etc. I think their website is mercurymusicals.co.uk.

The guy I spoke to was Tim Saward.

You can join from wherever, although generally you have to be 18 and in the UK. I'm 16 and in Ireland, but you can get away with that if you're good enough. They have writer associates, director associates, and professional writers too, including Stiles & Drewe. Composers, lyricists and bookwriters alike are welcome.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mercury musicals (mmd) info?#2
Posted: 4/27/08 at 2:31pm
I think MMD are doing a joint competition with The Stephen Sondheim Society at the Trafalgar Studios on Sunday 1st June. This is to find a best performer of Sondheim's material from current students at theatre schools and a songwriter who works towards producing intelligent musical theatre. I think the event is sponsored by The Mackintosh Foundation amongst others.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mercury musicals (mmd) info?#3
Posted: 4/27/08 at 3:34pm
Mackintosh and Sondheim are among MMD's patrons, along with Julia McKenzie, Don Black, Richard Stilgoe and Judi Dench!
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
lynnechapman
Swing
Swing
re: Mercury musicals (mmd) info?#4
Posted: 5/17/08 at 11:50am
THE SECOND Stephen Sondheim Society Student Performer of the Year competition will be held at Trafalgar Studios on Sunday, June 1, 2008 at 3:30 pm.

With just ten contestants from five colleges in 2007 to 50 contestants from 27 performing arts courses all over Britain this year, interest in the competition has increased significantly.

Heats were held in April and the 12 finalists will compete to win £1,000, a trophy and a part in Fly With The Stars, a charity gala at the London Palladium. The students will perform one song by Stephen Sondheim and one new musical theatre song by writers from Mercury Musical Developments. The writers of the new songs featured will compete to win The Stiles and Drewe Best New Song Award of £500.

The competition judges are top West End agent Barry Burnett, Kim Criswell, Edward Seckerson, Gareth Valentine and George Stiles and Anthony Drewe. The event compére is Sally Ann Triplett.

Stephen Sondheim, who this week was confirmed as the recipient of the 2008 Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre, said: “Thanks to the Society and to the panel of judges, and cheers to all the composers and lyricists. Mostly, though, please keep writing”.

While Nick Allott, on behalf of the Cameron Mackintosh Foundation, said: “We are very pleased to be able to help. I hope it goes brilliantly for you all”

Finally, 2007 winner Carl Au of ArtsEd said: “Since the competition, I have had a few newspapers approach me wanting to write articles about my experience, which as I am in my final year of training in Musical Theatre at Arts Educational School is a great help. I have had several offers from workshops of new musicals and was also recently invited to be a part of the Barbara Cook and Friends Charity Gala Show celebrating her 80th birthday. And last but not least, just to be able to have this personal achievement on my CV is fantastic!

The whole experience of the Stephen Sondheim Society Prize for Student Performer of the Year is one that I will never forget and will hold dear to my heart.”

Tickets: £22 (concessions £20).

To book call 0870 0606632 or visit the website.

The Stephen Sondheim Society
Lynne Chapman Administrator The Stephen Sondheim Society http://www.sondheim.org sondheimsociety@sondheim.org

Page: 1