Page: 1

Beware the sign of the 'Z' because... (poss spoilers)

NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
its actually really good!!

I never thought id say it but Zorro is not a bad show at all, in fact with some work it could be very good! Just back from seeing its first night in Southampton and overall I had a great time.

Now anyone going into Zorro expecting Sondheim or something deep and meaningful needs their head examined. However if you want something fun and entertaining, AND different - this is worth a look. The nearly full house gace it a very enthusiastic reception, and the general summary of comments I heard was 'much better than I expected'.

The main thing is people have to like the Gypsy Kings style of music, as all the music has a Spanish flavour. For me theres a bit too much wailing (sorry only way I can think to describe it)which if used once or twice would be effective, however it happens a bit too much. The songs set away from the show probably wouldnt be that memorable, but within the context of the show they really work.

The cast are brilliant. Matt Rawle (who I admit to liking anyway) is perfect as Zorro, if a little too camp when out of costume but it worked. He brings a lot of humour to the role (thats another thing - its quite funny). Aimie Atkinson is quite a find, gorgeous clear vocals, good acting and stage presence. Adam Cooper I found a little hammy at times in the acting, but overall fine. Lesli Margherita is a revelation, boy she sizzles on stage. Earl Carpenter is so underused it should be illegal! lol

The dancing is powerful and passionate, and unlike anything you will see on stage at the moment in a musical I think. The show really comes alive when the company are all onstage dancing.

The set i LOVED!! One of the best set designs ive seen on tour (in fact overall) in ages. They use curtains and drapes quite a bit, but the whole thing creates atmosphere and fills the stage. Lighting again is perfect. Tonight they had technical issues but still, the backstage crew clearly were nothing but professionals.

The downsides to the show are all fixable. Its too long, 3 hours, needs to be cut back by 20-30 mins. Some of the pacing and flow of the show need to be smoother and possibly move some songs around. 'The Fiesta' is a wasted opportunity, and the end to Act 1 would be a better time to come out among the audience. Cut the song/dance of the towns woman in Act 1, although really well choreographed it doesnt add anything to the story. Start of Act 1, PLEASE get rid of Adam Coopers embaressing singing/chanting, although the dance part just about works, the singing part doesnt and was embaressing to watch. Likewise his final scene is a bit too meladramatic and camp (beating heart sound effect is a no no). There were other parts that I just thought needed to be toned down a bit, nothing major.

Is this ready for London? not quite yet in my opinion, but it could easily be. Its clear a lot of money has been spent on it, and hopefully this short tour will allow them to change and fix things.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Glad you enjoyed it, im looking forward to watching it here in Manchester
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i really liked what i saw on the promo video. I used to love the Gypsy Kings when they were huge back in the 80s. The whole idea of the mix of their music and the Zorro story just seems a great idea. They used to slel out stadiums in the 80s and still do in some countries but the few dates that the musical have booked have not been doing brilliant business for something this size.
Adam Copper was in a magazine piece printed last week and he just read from begining to end as being the biggest and nastiest homophobe on this planet. He came over as a great big arrogant git. if i can remember where it was printed i'll post it unless someone already has it!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm really in two minds about this- the dance looks promising, but I'm not overflowing with confidence in the producers or director.

I'll wait and see, but it has a whiff of La Cava about it.

Updated On: 3/20/08 at 02:21 PM
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is this currently on tour? Is there someplace where I can see a schedule?
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just 4 dates prior to an as yet unannounced West End opening!
Southampton
Woking
Manchester
Glasgow
Milton Keynes

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'