Its coming, the blonde one is coming

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Its coming, the blonde one is coming#1
Posted: 10/26/07 at 9:32am
OK so ive just heard from a very reliable source that the Hit Broadway musical Legally Blonde will open here at the end of next year depending on if business stays level on Broadway

The show will either do a UK tour then go in to London (ala Wedding Singer) or just go straight in to London (like Hairspray)

ALSO..MTV UK would get behind the show as they have on Broadway and they would air the US version of Blonde on MTV UK.

As i say this is from a reliable source (not like my great aunt polly or anything) but its still hear say till its announced next year.

Business for the show in america is strong and its fighting through the dead seasons at 80 percent attendance and with pretty much no discounting on its tickets so it should continue in to Next year on Broadway.It is however touring the US next year as well apprently (dont they all)
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#2
Posted: 10/26/07 at 9:55am
After being in NY twice in the last 2 months with work im chooseing to not comment on this post...yet!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#2
Posted: 10/26/07 at 10:15am
Im glad this may be coming to London. I loved the film (not the sequel) and have the cast recording which I enjoy listening to. Both London as Wicked and Hairspray have shown that there is an audience for this type of show in the West End. I would love to LBB reprise her role as Elle though if they are going for UK casting, I think Rachael Wooding would be choice.

Theatrewise, I think the Dominion would be my choice though WWRY is still going strong.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#3
Posted: 10/26/07 at 10:35am
Like i say all is rumor at this point but this person is normally reliable (except for one thing he told me recently what didnt happen grr)
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#4
Posted: 10/26/07 at 10:07pm
I could see THE WEDDING SINGER succeeding in the U.K. but LEGALLY BLONDE, nah.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#5
Posted: 10/27/07 at 1:26am
I do not see this one heading towards London. Of course it is a rumour. All shows that are on broadway that have even the slightest hint of success automatically talk about the big transfer to London.

I do think that this show is part of that common discussion. Only time will tell if it will actually come over to London or not.

Frankly, I did like the show and it was a lot of fun. But, I do not see this show running that long on broadway. Everytime I pass the Palace Theatre they are constetnly playing the opening number on loop. When my parents saw some of the MTV taping they came in towards the beginning and they thought that this was a bit much for them. By that I mean that they thought that it had too much of the girly factor for it.

It does bother me that there are teens that go to the theate that cme out of seeing Blonde saying that it is the best show ever.

It bothers me that I am 18 and the majority of people roughly my age that go to the theatre are just repeate visitors of Hiarspray, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Rent and Blonde.

Of course I am glad that there are people my age that are going to the theatre. It does not bother me that most of the time I am the only straight guy there. But, I do wish that they had more options in thier minds of what can be considered to be a good musical. I mentioned to on of them something like Les Miserables and they thought that Blonde was 100 times better then that.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Parsley
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#6
Posted: 10/27/07 at 3:29am
I guess it boils down to what people think makes a good musical. Les Mis got mostly dreadful reviews when it first opened in the 80s in London. The sort of reviews that had it got nowadays, it would have probably closed very soon. But it garnered a strong fan base and people thinking they ought to see it. Now bad reviews does not meet it is a bad show, of course; likewise with good reviews (Mary Poppins and Spring Awakening...ugh). But it is all opinion at the end of the day.

The fact that a show has been going for eons also does not make it a good show - which people often think. It merely a very popular show, and one which holds a fondness for people who remember it opening etc and one for coach parties, and one that people simply accept as just "being there" as part of the furniture. Almost to the point of it being beyond criticism due to its longevity. Similarly, to a much lesser extent, with Rent in NY which has been limping along for many years and is still as pompous and overblown as it ever was despite its strengths. And definitely the case with the play The Mousetrap - which has been going for almost 50 years but is a dreadful piece of writing, lacks any of the over-the-top thrill of a whodunnit, and the theatre is rarely more than half full.

Although Les Mis itself, which I like as a musical, is a travesty compared to the vast, rich novel on which it is based; it has trivialised the characters and is just overblown. But it holds charm and some of those songs still "do it" for me.

If someone assesses how good a show it for them purely on the appeal it holds for them and its delivery etc etc ie) LB does it 100 times more for them than Les Mis, to quote your example, then good on them. After all, theatre going is a personal experience and such criteria is as valid as any other. Besides, the typical theatre-going population are not obliged to consider all other aspects of a production to "make up" for things they do not like with it and do not need to indulge into an academic discussion with themselves about each production they see - it can simply be pure entertainment.
Updated On: 10/27/07 at 03:29 AM
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#7
Posted: 10/27/07 at 5:51am
Whispers are going aroung that the Lyceum might free up next year. Not sure if I believe it myself, but that would happily house LB- or maybe even Young Frankenstein, although it's very early days to be pondering a transfer- I suspect the reviews could be disproportionately harsh.
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#8
Posted: 10/27/07 at 6:25am
i doubt lion king will go anywehre for a while. its making more than enough money to stay
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#9
Posted: 10/27/07 at 6:30am
I agree WS, the Lyceum wont be free for a few years yet. 'The Lion King' got its money back 5 years ago and tho i hvent seen it in 6 years people i know who have seen it recently say the houses are pretty much full most days.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#10
Posted: 10/27/07 at 7:01am
actually the Lion King houses have not been full for awhile

Legally Blonde would do 100 times better in the UK than the Wedding Singer and the producers know that.

Legally blonde was a MUCH bigger film than the Wedding Singer and the show opened to a lot stronger reviews and much higher box office than the Wedding Singer.
Updated On: 10/27/07 at 07:01 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#11
Posted: 10/27/07 at 7:55am
Nobody said it was full everynight but its doing better business than most West End shows at the moment. Its almost imposible for seats at weekennds and the Sunday matinee sometimes goes standing room only!
Bruce Memblagh!
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#12
Posted: 10/27/07 at 8:11am
It is easy to get tickets to it at weekends. Last night I bought 4 tickets for this evening - near the front of stalls. When we booked a couple of months ago we even then had no problems on a sat night.

It is busy (not packed) but is hardly a hot ticket.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#13
Posted: 10/27/07 at 8:16am
After 8 years its pretty healthy. The wardrobe master who has now moved to Samalot always commented how the show ticked over. If your getting near the front stalls its sounds like your getting production seats (house releases etc). They normaly get sold within 36 hours of shows.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#14
Posted: 10/27/07 at 8:17am
This theatre has been playing to half empty houses most weeks (its a bit fuller on sat nights).

A few of my mates went from the palace in mancs to the Lyceum (both Live Nation Venues) and have said that the show isnt a big draw anymore
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#15
Posted: 10/27/07 at 1:37pm
The Lyceum was stunning during the revival of Jesus Christ Superstar ten years ago now (why did Gale Edwards restage it for the crass tour and dvd?!)

Such a shame that his lovely theatre has not had a good show since Oklahoma! transfered. I mean the Lion King was good for a little while but that theatre needs something new in it!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#16
Posted: 10/27/07 at 6:29pm
Amen
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#17
Posted: 10/27/07 at 6:46pm
its funny that when it opened a lot of the critics made more comments about the decor that Apollo had chosen than of the show on stage. Most likened it to a 'mid west bordello' They soon dampened things down and now it looks stunning, brilliant. I remember walking in the first time and giggling because i couldnt help but agree with them! haha! I saw Wham there in concert in the mid 80s and the place just looked dangerous with scafolding holding up 50% of the place. It certianly was what they call a sleeping beauty and thankfully its as it is now.
Next on the list must be The Hippodrome to awoken from its long slumber. I was one of Hazel Deans (remember her? no!-good! ) dancers there one night! 'Searching- Ok i think ive given enuf away!
Updated On: 10/27/07 at 06:46 PM
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#18
Posted: 10/27/07 at 7:13pm
there is no doubt that people in the UK love the legally blonde movie, and if it does come to the UK (fingers crossed haha) its bound to make loads of money, there's no say wether it will be liked or not, but you'll get tons of teens who are obsessive about the movie going to see it, without listening to the recording or lookin into it or anything, but they'll want to see it just beacuse it's legally blonde
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#19
Posted: 10/27/07 at 7:28pm
Thats sad im afraid!
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#20
Posted: 10/27/07 at 9:56pm
Forgive me but are teens really into the movie and the musical?

When I saw this show earlier in the year there was a huge crowd of very obsessed kids ahead of me in the rush line. From what I gather its like that most of the time. Repeat viewings and all.

Does London have an equivalent? ie Wicked....is that attracting masses of kids who go again and again? Living up in Manchester I don't get a feel for this one.

Its a fun show. Nothing special but some nice moments and a great cast when I saw it (Leslie Kritzer got all my laughs) and I'm such a whore for high belting (listen to that A flat in the title song).
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#21
Posted: 10/27/07 at 10:29pm
I quite like The Lyceum but can't see it being a venue for LB. I'm not surprised that people think that TLK will be closing even though it's sells quite well even after eight years. I have a feeling it will close in 2009.

Another thing I like about the Lyceum is that unlike Live Nation's two other London Theatres (The Dominion and Apollo Victoria) it actually looks and feels like a theatre.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#22
Posted: 10/28/07 at 9:04am
ive said this before but when i watched this in NY they were 100s of adults there (many gay men) so its not just attracting teens thats a stupid bitchy comment started by people on the broadway board as they say with Wicked and Rent as well.

Also legally blonde will pull in Fans of the film, fans of the fun youthful shows such as Fame, Footloose, Dirty Dancing, Mamma Mia, We Rick You etc etc as those shows THRIVE here.And your everyday theatre goers will also find a lot to love in the show as the American critics (who are not nice to the pop shows as a rule) proved.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#23
Posted: 10/28/07 at 2:20pm
Songandanceman,

what people were saying on the broadway board is this. They were saying that shows like Wicked and Blonde attract a younger audience. This is true. They were not however saying that the only people that go to those shows are younger people. there is a difference.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
TheatreBuzz2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Its coming, the blonde one is coming#24
Posted: 10/28/07 at 8:31pm
TLK has had one of its healthiest weeks this week, granted it is was half term, than ever. It is doing solid buisness. It will not vacat The Lyceum for many years unless something seriously drastic occurs.

Also - Legally wouldn't go in anyway -Disney have deal with that theatre that is currently in toe for man future years. If a new show in the next decade or so was to move into the lyceum, it would be a disney.